PDA

View Full Version : Creating Tables outside of FG

Mad Nomad
December 20th, 2016, 01:39
I'm working on creating some very large tables and creating them in the FG interface can be difficult when there are many rows and columns. Especially when I want to be able to do easy copy and paste and find replace etc.

I am pretty sure there has got to be a way to create a table in excel, export it to xml or something, then convert it into a mod. Any of you super clever people know how to do that who can save me the time of trying to figure it out through trial and error?

Bidmaron
December 20th, 2016, 02:41
There probably is, but I'm sure you can appreciate that the answer would widely vary depending upon just what you were trying to do. No context, no nothing, just a floated question.

LordEntrails
December 20th, 2016, 02:58
I've played with this once myself. i.e. using Excel to create the table and then trying to get it into FG. You should be able to do it, but I never figured it out. It probably requires custom XSLT or DTDs.

You may find looking in to Par5E or 5EFGParser would be the best ways that are currently documented etc to get you what you want.

Ikael
December 20th, 2016, 04:18
If you are SavageWorlds ruleset user the answer is SW Enhanced Library extension's Content Importer tool. O am able to write complex whole module (or part of it like rollable table) into text file and convert it into FG entity from FG UI with single click. See the bottom of this sample content importer markup file: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16943&d=1481904574

Read more about it from SavageWorlds thread.

Yesterday I worked on CoreRPG version of the same extension but because its so limited compared to SavageWorlds version I was not happy about the result and should find better middle ground before even considering uploading/sharing it.

Even if you are not SavageWorlds user but you have the ruleset you could create campaign entities like rollable tables with it, export them, edit the exported module slightly (change ruleset dependency and windowclass names) and you will be good to use it with any CoreRPG derived ruleset.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2016, 11:33
If it's for the 5e ruleset then par5e might be the answer.

Mad Nomad
December 20th, 2016, 20:00
Thanks for all the replies. I'll refresh myself on Par5e, if I come up with a solution I'll be sure to post it.

RCathcart
July 9th, 2017, 16:58
Thanks for all the replies. I'll refresh myself on Par5e, if I come up with a solution I'll be sure to post it.

Did you ever figure this out? I want to do exactly what you were trying to do. Make table in Excel and paste/import iron FG.

Mad Nomad
July 9th, 2017, 22:39
Did you ever figure this out? I want to do exactly what you were trying to do. Make table in Excel and paste/import iron FG.

No never got it working. Too much effort.

Mad Nomad
August 31st, 2018, 03:59
So it's been ages, but I'm hoping to try this again in the near future. Wondering if any thing has changed in the capabilities to do this, or if anyone who's an expert on such things would be willing to take this on as a paid project. Trying to hack this myself will probably take me forever. It seems liek it should be as simple as a exporting to csv and parsing the file to whatever format FG uses and saving it as a table object in FG. But that's me oversimplifying it I'm sure.

damned
August 31st, 2018, 04:10
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40812-5E-Table-Importer
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40821-CSV-Table-Paster-Community-Extension-Early-Access-release

Mad Nomad
August 31st, 2018, 04:29
Awesome Thanks!