PDA

View Full Version : Running a shifting maze in FG?

Hesterry
December 19th, 2016, 17:43
I'm new here, so hopefully I'm putting this in the right place :)

Something I've wanted to do for ages was run a shifting maze for my players. Essentially, as the players explore, the walls of the maze would move around, and entire rooms would shift or disappear entirely. Handling the masking so players don't see the changes occurring isn't any trouble at all, but handling the changes themselves seems... difficult.

Currently we're using roll20, and running a maze like this would be as simple as making different tiles for the different sections I want to change, and then swap them around accordingly. However, we're now considering switching to Fantasy Grounds, and I can't seem to figure out how to do something like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS - Also, is there any way to make a weapon always get advantage on attack rolls? I can't find any syntax that would do that...

Nickademus
December 19th, 2016, 17:56
Use the Enhanced Image Layer extension and design the maze with geomorphs on the bottom layer. Switch to the bottom and move them around as needed. When you switch back to the top layer, you won't be able to drag them and thus they will act like the battlemap.

Zacchaeus
December 19th, 2016, 18:10
PS - Also, is there any way to make a weapon always get advantage on attack rolls? I can't find any syntax that would do that...

You can't add such an effect to a weapon but you can to the player wielding said weapon. (ADVATK:). Note however this will give advantage on all attacks not just the weapon that gives the advantage. Therefore you may wish to just use the ADV button when making attacks with that specific weapon.

(Also this is tremendously overpowering! :))

Hesterry
December 19th, 2016, 18:20
Use the Enhanced Image Layer extension and design the maze with geomorphs on the bottom layer. Switch to the bottom and move them around as needed. When you switch back to the top layer, you won't be able to drag them and thus they will act like the battlemap.
Aha! I can make that work. Thanks so much :)

You can't add such an effect to a weapon but you can to the player wielding said weapon. (ADVATK:). Note however this will give advantage on all attacks not just the weapon that gives the advantage. Therefore you may wish to just use the ADV button when making attacks with that specific weapon.

(Also this is tremendously overpowering! :))
Might just have to use the ADV button then... Ah well. Thanks anyway :)

damned
December 20th, 2016, 03:58
For the maps I would verbally describe the route between rooms and only share individual rooms - eg each map consists of only one room.

Answulf
December 21st, 2016, 13:52
For the maps I would verbally describe the route between rooms and only share individual rooms - eg each map consists of only one room.
I agree that this is something to think about - not only is it a lot easier, but the fun part of a maze is the PCs getting lost and trying to track where they are going. A god's eye view of the maze would take away from that element, even if it was shifting.

LordEntrails
December 21st, 2016, 14:51
Though it doesn't shift, this is what I do with Undermountain. A couple of reasons, portals that the players may or may not know they travel through, too much info if they have a master map (including knowing where the boundaries are), because mapping (and getting lost) is part of the mega-dungeon experience :)

Griogre
December 21st, 2016, 20:20
The last time I ran Undermountain in FG, I actually had the player's build their own map to allow all confusion of a massive maze like dungeon. It was an experiment and I thought it worked very well. The map wasn't pretty but the play was worth it.

I used a drawing and had them drop tokens for walls, ie:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/DrawingScreenshot_zps251a9dc3.png

Since they were dropping tokens for walls was quick to map since you can just hotkey the tokens and drag and drop them on the drawing. Definitely old school, but it fits certain mega dungeons. Especially some of the old near "unmappable" ones.

MarianDz
December 21st, 2016, 21:01
"Grigore" this is amazing solution. Maybe because I doesn't seen this kind of mapping till today thank you for sharing. And simply rotating pieces you can make hidden doors everywhere what is great!