PDA

View Full Version : Recommended campaigns for a new DM

Bruxy
December 18th, 2016, 23:44
Hi guys. I've never DM'd a session in my life, FG or RL, but as the proud owner of a sparkly new UL I'm looking to change that very soon. My regular DM is due to become a dad and since I've sponged off his generous nature for too long I figure now is a good time to give him a rest and return the many favours. DM'ing looks pretty full-on, so I reckon I need to break myself in gently and I'm looking for recommendations on some smaller, simpler adventures.

We run a 2-3hr session once per week and I'm looking for things that can be run and done in maybe 3-4 sessions, but that I can flow quickly into a second or third mini-campaign once I've learned my lessons and got my head around things. If my group can keep and develop their characters between each recommended adventure, rather than jumping between games/settings, that would be perfect.

I've got the Savage Worlds rules pack and the 5e Deluxe PHB (shout out to the Black Friday sweepstakes for that one!) so anything in those areas and I'm laughing. High fantasy is our usual bag but I'm not averse to throwing in a sci-fi or more contemporary thing using SW if you've got a good suggestion.

I'm not looking for minimal DM challenge, just things that won't completely swamp me.

Cheers!

damned
December 19th, 2016, 00:34
Lost Mines of Phandelver and use the pre-gens. Its a good campaign for GM and Player alike.

Bidmaron
December 19th, 2016, 01:08
Go pathfinder!

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2016, 01:31
Lost Mines is a good one. It's pretty much ready to go with everything you need and it's a good (and traditional) story arc.

Answulf
December 19th, 2016, 01:48
Lost Mines is exactly what you are looking for - designed for that very purpose and well above average when it comes to published adventures even if it wasn't.

Bruxy
December 19th, 2016, 09:44
Well that makes things easy as I've got the physical box for Lost Mines as well! I did worry it was a bit too simple from a player's perspective as my group is very experienced. The other problem, of course, is worrying how many of them have already read the content!

damned
December 19th, 2016, 10:13
You can always mix it up a little but the challenge level is pretty much spot on for the supplied characters.