PDA

View Full Version : Random picks: Bestiary 1-5 and Basic Familiars random encounter modules

Lillhans
December 18th, 2016, 19:41
What: Modules that add random encounters, tables (by CR), NPC:s to fill some monster groups, and indexes (monster by type) of the titular environment category/categories
Where: Tables (populate the Table section), Encounters (populate the Random Encounters section), NPC:s (populate the NPC section), Indexes (populate the Story Section).
Pointers:
#All encounters are tagged with the average encounter CR in the title (thereby searchable).
#For monster groups, the group moniker is written out in the encounter title (all lower-case, thereby distinguishable from single-monster encounters).
#Monsters not found in the bestiary/familiar modules are not included, with the exception of monsters with class levels (see the NPC section of the module for these quick-fixes of questionable quality :))
# In addition to Bestiary 1-5 and Basic Familiar modules, you also need to have NPC Codex and Gamesmastery Guide modules installed.

Known issues
Any Environment - The primary source of enrivonment data was the bestiary appendices - specifically the Monster by Terrain listings. While the d20pfsrd.com monster database is exhaustive, it wasn't ideal for setting up the cross-reference database I needed for populating tables at an industrial rate. Unfortunately, the appendix listings contain a degree of discrepancy: the minotaur is just one example of where the primary entry says one thing (temperate ruins or underground) and the appendix another (the Any Terrain category). While some were discovered during the process of grouping monsters not all such errors were accounted for. Expect some variations of Any [whatnot] showing up in this module, or Any [climate etc] not showing up in those other modules!

Group CR - assigning CR to groups of single-type monsters as well as composite groups was done by taking the average number of units and then matching it with CR calculations off https://juneberryjournal.weebly.com/cr-calculator.html. That calculator provides the margin of error for any given entry. 10 monsters of CR 1/5, for instance, constitute a CR 5 encounter but overshoots the CR 5 XP expectancy by 25% when considering the XP per unit. Other combinations will similarily fall short of the XP expectancy. This may put some groups in the wrong CR range entirely - but then again, CR was never an exact science to begin with.

Actual CR - since fraction CR:s typically don't have the required decimal CR to make good use of the XP calculator (most have a 1 instead), you may want to double check once the encounter is generated. The entries in the random encounter library are all tagged with proper CR, so you can always check there to begin with. Notably, NPC elements (i.e. extras from Game Master Guide or NPC codex) are trickier in this regard, but such is life! (it's tricky sometimes)

To-do list
# The Cold, Temperate and Warm climate modules: one module each, catering to each of the six land environment types.
# The Underground module: self-explanatory.
# The Planar and Vacuum moduel: weird environments. Naturally, they should be paired up :)
# The Water and Sky module: self-explanatory.
# The Urban and Ruins module: or, the Before and After Black Friday couple :)
# The complete cross-reference database (in CSV-friendly format) which was used in the preparation phase

Bidmaron
December 18th, 2016, 21:30
The Pm feature here is so useless. I cannot send pm because mine is full of stuff I want to save. Why not publish as a module so all can get

Lillhans
December 19th, 2016, 10:44
The Pm feature here is so useless. I cannot send pm because mine is full of stuff I want to save. Why not publish as a module so all can get

Valid point! Will make the CSV file readily available when the time comes.

Trenloe
December 27th, 2016, 22:04
The Pm feature here is so useless. I cannot send pm because mine is full of stuff I want to save.
Export your messages to an archive file. Select the message you want to archive then click the "selected Messages" button below the message window and select how you want to download them. Then delete you ones you've downloaded.

Bidmaron
December 28th, 2016, 03:07
Thanks Trenloe. I'll give it a go

Lillhans
January 3rd, 2017, 18:46
Oh! One thing: I get that the license/legal notice part needs to go into the module, but I'm not sure where to put it within the confines of the export. The modules I have looked at (just now) all seem to have the legalities baked into it somehow (can't find it outside the library viewer section).

Lillhans
January 6th, 2017, 14:45
Added the first complete module (Any Environment). Not sure I managed to get the license and legal notifications right!

PappaJHR
January 24th, 2018, 18:01
I have a quick question, I am getting an error message when trying to generate a random encounter. "A module you are attempting to use is not loaded" this is happening with all the monsters. I just updated to the new Bestiarys (published on the 28th\29th of December) I noticed that the file names have changed from what they use to be; Bestiary 1 has become PFRPG Bestiary First. I figure that is what is causing the problem but I do not know how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

madman
January 24th, 2018, 18:41
Well I have never used this module. that being said I think you would need to do a rename in the xml Bestiary 1 name to PFRPG Bestiary First name (Bear, Dire@PFRPG Bestiary First).
But you may have other problems, some of the names are not the same. It may be better to just use the original bestiaries for your mod.

Madman..