PDA

View Full Version : Encumbrance/Weight with Bag of Holding

Belgaleen
December 17th, 2016, 20:37
I have a bunch of items inside a Bag of Holding, but my current Encumbrance appears to be as it isn't accounting for the Bag of Holding's constant 15lb weight. Shouldn't it be auto-figuring out that anything inside the Bag of Holding has an encumbrance of 0 until taken out? I'm guessing the other special items like Portable Hole, etc. may have this issue?

Callum
December 17th, 2016, 21:11
Which ruleset?

Nickademus
December 17th, 2016, 21:55
Fantasy Grounds isn't programmed to recognize specific items due to the multiple ways a person could name them. Make sure the weight for the Bag of Holding is 15 lbs, then go through everything inside and click the circle button to the right until it shows an empty circle and its tool tip says 'Not Carried'.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2016, 21:58
FG can't know that you have a bag of Holding and won't know what's in it unless you tell it.

In your inventory for items in the bag type the location for the object as being the Bag of Holding and then click the icon to the right until it's 'not carried'. This will remove the weight of that object from your carried total.

This will work for any CORE based ruleset (I think).

Belgaleen
December 17th, 2016, 22:33
FG can't know that you have a bag of Holding and won't know what's in it unless you tell it.

In your inventory for items in the bag type the location for the object as being the Bag of Holding and then click the icon to the right until it's 'not carried'. This will remove the weight of that object from your carried total.

This will work for any CORE based ruleset (I think).

5E Ruleset. I set the location to Bag of Holding but I haven't clicked it to "not carried". I think my point is if I put it to the location of Bag of Holding, shouldn't FG know to set it to "not carried" for me?

Andraax
December 17th, 2016, 23:26
In the C&C ruleset, items that are "capacity" items (containers) can contain multiple items and the contained items do not count against encumbrance unless they exceed the capacity of the container. Don't know if there is something similar for 5E, however.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2016, 23:51
5E Ruleset. I set the location to Bag of Holding but I haven't clicked it to "not carried". I think my point is if I put it to the location of Bag of Holding, shouldn't FG know to set it to "not carried" for me?
In short, no. FG doesn't know what a bag of holding is and can't therefore know that items in it should not be counted as weight. You need to tell it.

damned
December 17th, 2016, 23:59

There are probably over 10,000 things that have yet to be programmed. RPGs are freaking complicated things. It might happen, it might not. You can vote for it on the FG wishlist.

Belgaleen
December 18th, 2016, 02:10
Where's the wish list for looking at or voting?

damned
December 18th, 2016, 02:51
Here you go Belgaleen - you can vote on existing ideas and add new ones for consideration.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Belgaleen
December 18th, 2016, 21:00
Thank you very much. Does Smiteworks work off of this list or is this just a pacifier? I've seen some lists where the company just ignores the list and others where they actually try.

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2016, 21:09
SW uses the list. John/Moon reviews it regularly. It is not a perfect correlation, but it does influence what they work on.

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2016, 18:47
The target for most of the rulesets in FG is to handle 80-90% of rule capabilities automatically, but leave enough flexibility so that GMs and players can choose to run their games however they like. Also, most role-playing games are exception-based, no matter how simple the core system is, and they tend to keep growing as more exceptions are made to the system to make interesting content. It's very difficult to replicate every rule in a game system, so flexible options allow users to manage themselves.

For the bag of holding, you can toggle the status of the items in the bag to Not Carried which will remove their weight from the encumbrance calculation, and set the bag weight to simulate the fixed weight.

For the wish list, we do review the wish list several times a year, but it is only one input into our product planning (which also includes other business and publisher considerations). In addition, we factor in effort vs. functionality, platform capabilities, demand, and more.

Regards,
JPG

irish_carbomb
December 21st, 2016, 15:44
I think this is pretty much a non issue.. You add an item to your inventory, you set it's location to the Bag of Holding, and you click the button on the right till it says not carried - Done.. You do the same for a horse or a portable hole. I even have one for a room at an inn where I might leave things.

What would be really cool is if you could collapse an inventory item such as the bag, to help tidy up the inventory page. It can get pretty darn long..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29536459/inventory.jpg

Belgaleen
December 21st, 2016, 19:02
I think this is pretty much a non issue.. You add an item to your inventory, you set it's location to the Bag of Holding, and you click the button on the right till it says not carried - Done.. You do the same for a horse or a portable hole. I even have one for a room at an inn where I might leave things.

What would be really cool is if you could collapse an inventory item such as the bag, to help tidy up the inventory page. It can get pretty darn long..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29536459/inventory.jpg

Sorry to conflate/merge two separate thoughts into this :).

1-Thanks to everyone for the workaround. It didn't occur to me to just tell it I wasn't carrying it so that workaround is great.
2-The voting I was asking about wasn't about this specific nit but more a general do I want to spend time and actually look through that list and vote on stuff. I've had one specific company that has poisoned the well on voting so I always ask if its really used or just a placebo (like the other company) to tell people to go away :).

PS - There's some really interesting features there that I never thought about that I did vote on.