PDA

View Full Version : Table creation - creature creator - want a result for head, body and legs

Myrdin Potter
December 17th, 2016, 17:24
Looking at the random treasure example, I think I can see one way to do this. Wondering if there is a better way.

My assumption is that each table rolls once and the row goes to every column that is there, just one row. You cannot make a 3 column and 12 row table and automatically have a roll on each column and output one after the other.

Output is to story.

So I need to have three tables. The master is the "Head" table. The head table has the text for the head and then a dice expression and Body tale reference so you get:

"Snake head with dripping fangs" [1d12][Body]

There would be 12 different heads with the same dice expression next.

Can I do this:

"Snake head with dripping fangs" [1d12][Body][1d12][Legs]

And output (top to bottom) in a story the head, the body and the legs, or do I need to call the Legs table in the Body table.

So this:

Head table
"Snake head with dripping fangs" [1d12][Body]
Body Table
"fat and furry" [1d12][Legs]
Legs
"squat and powerful"

Is this crossing over into story templates (which I have not read in detail yet) or is this a basic table fucntion?

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2016, 20:14
Here's a screen shot for one way to do what you want.

If you have a line [1d12][legs] it will roll 1d12 times on the legs table which is not what you want. So all you need is a call to the legs table and have the 1d12 roll on that table (assuming you have 12 entries on the table).

You will find that using a Story Template is a much, much better way to output the results from the tables in this kind of scenario

Myrdin Potter
December 17th, 2016, 20:56
And inside the standard table entry, it populates the story in the reverse order of the table calls.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2016, 22:04
And inside the standard table entry, it populates the story in the reverse order of the table calls.

Indeed, it does. The last table called is the first outputted (don't ask me why - I don't know). Which is why you want to be using templates. That way you can call the tables in the order you want them to appear in.

Myrdin Potter
December 18th, 2016, 00:49
For what I am trying to do now, the table functionality only works well enough, but I will have to start studying up on templates soon. Thanks for the advice and help.

Myrdin Potter
December 23rd, 2016, 01:59
Doing another three part table and the order what comes back varies.

Rot pox: too hideous a fate to describe; vector and cure: [DP 3][DP 2] -> output to story

I have 12 entries in table 1 (the one rolled on), 12 in table 2 and 6 in table 3 (uses a d12 with a 2 range). I expect D2 (the vector) always to be populated in the story first and then D3, the cure. However, at times it comes back cure then vector, it is not consisted.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 04:34
Doing another three part table and the order what comes back varies.

Rot pox: too hideous a fate to describe; vector and cure: [DP 3][DP 2] -> output to story

I have 12 entries in table 1 (the one rolled on), 12 in table 2 and 6 in table 3 (uses a d12 with a 2 range). I expect D2 (the vector) always to be populated in the story first and then D3, the cure. However, at times it comes back cure then vector, it is not consisted.

Is it possibly returning a result as soon as that die stops? Sometimes one die spins longer than others?

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2016, 10:47
The dice results are asynchronous. In other words the actual output of the numbers does not synchronise or correspond to the order of the physical dice rolled. So if you roll two d20's then I think what happens is that FG generates two numbers and then tells the dice to roll that result and land on whatever numbers were generated. At least that's how I understand it.

I don't know how the output for tables actually work but I know when I was working with Templates during the production of SKT that rolling on child and grandchild tables did not give you the expected result, in that often the first returned result was the last one you actually wanted.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 11:55
The dice results are asynchronous. In other words the actual output of the numbers does not synchronise or correspond to the order of the physical dice rolled. So if you roll two d20's then I think what happens is that FG generates two numbers and then tells the dice to roll that result and land on whatever numbers were generated. At least that's how I understand it.

I don't know how the output for tables actually work but I know when I was working with Templates during the production of SKT that rolling on child and grandchild tables did not give you the expected result, in that often the first returned result was the last one you actually wanted.

FG doesnt tell the dice on what number to land. Dice like d4s and d6s stop faster than d12s and d20s. two d20s rolled at the same time dont stop at exactly the same time.

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2016, 11:58
FG doesnt tell the dice on what number to land. Dice like d4s and d6s stop faster than d12s and d20s. two d20s rolled at the same time dont stop at exactly the same time.

Ah, ok. So the asynchronous bit means that if I roll three dice the first one rolled may not be the first one to return a result? Hence if I roll on table A which calls table B which then calls table C; the first result returned will be whatever dice stops rolling first?

Myrdin Potter
December 23rd, 2016, 14:40
That is a table programming issue, then, because it really should parse the order it is. I will try a d6 for the third table as it actually is 1-2 and 3-4 for the d12 for that table. I will also see if calling table 2 that calls table 3 helps.

I am entering in a bunch of short (d12 tables) from a book that brought together a blog ( https://roll1d12.blogspot.com ) in printed form. The text in each table entry is short and doing a story entry to link in the table is more work than needed.

Some tables call another table or two - like the Dungeon disease on that has 12 diseases and 12 vectors and six cures. You would want to list them in a defined order but not super important. I can always make every cure table entry have Cure: before each text and Vector: for the other one.

I had thought that the pattern was consistent in that the last table called was the first to output but it seems no this time.

Myrdin Potter
December 23rd, 2016, 23:20
I "fixed it" by labeling the 2nd and 3rd table with what they are so it does not matter which order it does actually resolve in.

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2016, 00:23
Myrdin, I am working on table functionality, and I'd like to know what was happening and the steps to duplicate. Without the context of what you were saying, it is really difficult to understand what you were saying. It would help if you would show the table you are talking about as well as show the results that were inconsistent.

Myrdin Potter
January 10th, 2017, 05:07
The more tables I enter (converting the Raging Swan Dungeon Dressing series for personal use) the more little things I note.

For example, data entry - if you create a new row, it starts up top. If you are entering the table in sequential order, once you put in the left number and click somewhere else it jumps to the bottom. So for efficient cut-and-paste, you need to work right to left with the smallest number in the range entered last.

It also would be better if the basic text formatting was supported in the rows - italics and bold at least, plus underline. You can make story entries and a link, but when you are just entering a sentence or two it is really wasteful. However, if you want italics for a spell name, cannot do that directly in a table.

damned
January 10th, 2017, 05:15
Things that I find useful...

Start with the last row first...
Dont click to the next field, just tab.

Or... use Par5e if copy'n'pasting....

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2017, 05:23
The more tables I enter (converting the Raging Swan Dungeon Dressing series for personal use) the more little things I note.

For example, data entry - if you create a new row, it starts up top. If you are entering the table in sequential order, once you put in the left number and click somewhere else it jumps to the bottom. So for efficient cut-and-paste, you need to work right to left with the smallest number in the range entered last.

It also would be better if the basic text formatting was supported in the rows - italics and bold at least, plus underline. You can make story entries and a link, but when you are just entering a sentence or two it is really wasteful. However, if you want italics for a spell name, cannot do that directly in a table.

Myrdin, using formattedtextfields might actually work. Let me investigate that in my tables extension.

As for the automatic table sorting that causes the row jumps you discuss: There might be a way to fix that behavior, but I have to think about it....

Myrdin Potter
January 10th, 2017, 06:06
damned - Tabs seem to jump the entry down just like clicking. I can reverse and do text, then 2nd number then 1st number. Almost natural now. Starting at the bottom and going up might be harder for me. The table entries cut-and-paste in a very messy way so going to a text document to par5e would be a lot of clean up work. - gets pasted as [ and ' becomes f (letfs for let's). For these tables I cut, paste, ctrl-J to strip the extra LF and then enter the numbers. It goes quickly.

Bidmaron - that is one of the reasons why I mention little quirks I notice and muse about what might be better. A few of the small items I saw were actually eventually fixed by Moon Wizard. Formatted text fields would be nice but would it break the [] functions?

damned
January 10th, 2017, 06:20
Hi Myrdin Potter if my table content looks like this:

1 - 3 Cavern
4 - 6 Ruins

I copy Ruins, click in the bottom row and type 4 tab 6 tab ctrl+v
Then I copy Cavern click in the next row up and type 1 tab 3 tab ctrl+v

This is of course a very simple table

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2017, 14:16
Bidmaron - that is one of the reasons why I mention little quirks I notice and muse about what might be better. A few of the small items I saw were actually eventually fixed by Moon Wizard. Formatted text fields would be nice but would it break the [] functions?
I don't think so. There are several things I want to do for UI. First, resizable columns (with memory).
Then have the header information not scrolling with the rows.
I want to be able to use frequencies rather than numbers in the from column. Thus, you could enter say r- (shorthand for more rare than rare but not as rare as vr+) where your frequencies are looked up in a separate table. When you hit roll, the freqs are substituted with actual numerics from the lookup table (and if you edit the table, the freqs are put back until the next roll)

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2017, 04:16
Looking at the random treasure example, I think I can see one way to do this. Wondering if there is a better way.

Myrdin, mind if I ask what source materials you have entered into FG for the tables you've been working? Are you going to work with any of the publishers to make the material available in SW store or elsewhere?

Myrdin Potter
January 13th, 2017, 04:46
I am trying to make it available in the store eventually, yes.

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2017, 13:13
Can you tell me which you are working so I don't duplicate effort as I am testing my generator extension? (I have lots of table pdfs)

Zhern
January 13th, 2017, 13:31
While I'm not Myrdin, he did mention that he has been working on the Dungeon Dressing from Raging Swan and that he had done The Dungeon Dozen from Jason Sholtis. I'm sure there is more, though.

Bidmaron
January 13th, 2017, 14:09
Thanks Zhern. I don't own those so I'm safe there at least

Myrdin Potter
January 13th, 2017, 15:02
I am converting over Dungeon Dressings for personal use. There is no contact from the publisher.