PDA

View Full Version : [FGDAZE] The Derelict - Call of Cthulhu 7e

damned
December 17th, 2016, 03:20
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/derelict.jpg

You are aboard the Luxury Yacht Delilah off on one last hurrah before the yacht is handed over to its new owner. The feeling onboard is mixed – the trip of a lifetime, an excuse to party and enjoy good friends, or the last trip before parting with a favourite toy. You are travelling from Boston in the States to Liverpool in the UK where the new owner resides.

This Call of Cthulhu One Shot will run for 2-4 investigators and is expected to run for 4 hours. You will need an updated copy of Fantasy Grounds, Teamspeak should be installed and configured with your Headset and Mic and your wits and humour are essential.

No experience with Call of Cthulhu or Fantasy Grounds is required.

Book here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2296

LordEntrails
December 17th, 2016, 16:27
I've never played Cthulhu before, do you have any recommended reading or reference to something like an intro or basic rules?

I need to branch out and play more (not just DM) :)

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2016, 22:14
I've never played Cthulhu before, do you have any recommended reading or reference to something like an intro or basic rules?

Get your hands on any H P Lovecraft novel.

damned
December 17th, 2016, 23:52
I think the hard part for any D&D player trying Call of Cthulhu is to actually play your character like the normal, un-special, ignorant and oblivious human that they are. They see warning signs and see them as warnings of the mundane not of the horrors beyond.
Quick Start rules are here if you like: https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131%20Call%20of%20Cthulhu%207th%20Edition%20Q uick-Start%20Rules.pdf

Roakana
December 18th, 2016, 01:52
call of Cthulhu is a great RPG. Just dont be a hero in the way that D&D has trained you. Wish i was here for that weekend.

Answulf
December 18th, 2016, 02:19
I've always wanted to play Call of Cthulhu, this looks great. Looking forward to starting off the day with a nice warm cup of cosmic horror!

The original short story is public domain. Definitely worth reading before the game. There was also a cool silent movie (made in 2005) that you can watch if you like that kind of thing. I found it on YouTube, I will probably watch it myself the night before the game.

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2016, 20:05
Thanks all :)

I'll read the rules but not the story. I don't want to know anything! Err, I mean I don't want to know the story before I experience it :)

Answulf
December 19th, 2016, 05:47
Sorry Damned I had to bow out. You would think I would be able to play 4am-8am my time without a conflict, but I checked our schedule just to be safe and my daughter has to be at a futsol game at 7:40am. :mad:

I get the feeling an unknowable force is conspiring against me ever getting to play in a Call of Cthulhu game...

damned
December 19th, 2016, 06:11
Sorry Damned I had to bow out. You would think I would be able to play 4am-8am my time without a conflict, but I checked our schedule just to be safe and my daughter has to be at a futsol game at 7:40am. :mad:

I get the feeling an unknowable force is conspiring against me ever getting to play in a Call of Cthulhu game...

There will be a few Call of Cthulhu sessions at the next FG Con (April 2017) so sooner or later your sanity shall be tested....

Cheesy_Nacho
December 31st, 2016, 16:00
I'd love to take part but I have that scenario and plan to run it myself in the future.

Be interested to hear how it went.

Cheesy

damned
January 1st, 2017, 01:15
I'd love to take part but I have that scenario and plan to run it myself in the future.

Be interested to hear how it went.

Cheesy

Ohhh.... Im fairly sure I can tell you how it went already....

Baufrin
January 6th, 2017, 00:43
Hi Just let me know if you have room for me. New to CoC but love the Mythos. New to fantasy grounds also.

damned
January 6th, 2017, 01:23
Welcome Baufrin - jump in the Magnificent 7 instead as I already have 5 out of 4 spots filled for this one :)

Baufrin
January 6th, 2017, 01:36
thanks for the swift reply hopefully I can join in this someday.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2017, 11:07
Did I miss the server alias being specified somewhere?

damned
January 7th, 2017, 11:22
just ran in the door - gotta get the kids to bed.
server is up: insane hook puny idol

damned
January 7th, 2017, 16:31
Thanks guys - I didnt grab any screenshots but i did enjoy Dennis going into a blind rage and attacking Mac :)
Thank you all for playing.

Litvyak
January 7th, 2017, 16:54
I did grab a few screenshots:

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2017, 22:18
Thanks guys - I didnt grab any screenshots but i did enjoy Dennis going into a blind rage and attacking Mac :)
Thank you all for playing.
Hey, he shot at me first!
Err, well, I guess I did catch him in my shotgun blast.... before he shot towards me....
I guess flanking the bad guy isn't ALWAYS a good idea!

Thanks for the game. Enjoyed the system and the adventure. Part of the fun and horror was simply not having a clue about what's even possible. Or knowing if the creature can even be defeated!

Good job. Note, I also appreciated the music. Having to move that up higher on my list of to learns.