PDA

View Full Version : Map Making Software Options

Klandare
December 16th, 2016, 18:53
I am looking to get a good map making software.

I am not the most artistic person in the world (actually pretty bad), so I am am looking for something that makes it easier to pieces items together.

I am looking at CC3+ but I have also looked at Virtual Battlemap. I have read different reviews on CC3+ where it is not the simplest thing to use.

Has anyone used Vitrual Battlemap? Does it work well? Is it easy to utilize? Are there a lot of options to easily make maps?

Thoughts, reviews, opinions?

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2016, 20:24
You need this post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary)

Klandare
December 16th, 2016, 20:58
Thanks. That thread helps a lot.

Wish someone that has been using Virtual Battlemap had some comments on it. Since it only came out a few months ago, it isn't in that thread.

I am leaning more and more towards CC3+ as that seems to be the tool of choice for someone that doesn't do everything from the ground up themselves (which I doubt I would do well with unless I can convince my daughter to do them for me - she is the artist of the family).

Klandare
December 18th, 2016, 00:50
I took the dive and bought CC3+ bundle with DD3 and CD3 in it. Also bought the 2 Fantasy symbol sets, Fantasy Overland and Fantasy Floorplans.

There just seems to be a lot more out there for CC3+ than for Virtual Battlemap.

Now to dive in and get some map making going (this is after all the installs finish, seeing as they are rather slow doing the install).

Bidmaron
December 18th, 2016, 04:34
You will not regret it, Klandare. Profantasy is a great outfit just like SW, and their stuff is awesome.

Trenloe
December 21st, 2016, 19:43
@Klandare - I'm sure you won't regret it. Just take the time to learn CC3(+). Just like Fantasy Grounds, there is a learning curve, but it is well worth taking the time to sit down and step through some tutorials (video and the supplied PDFs). There is some good discussion and example maps in the thread Zacchaeus links above - from about page 7 onwards.

Jay_NOLA
December 23rd, 2016, 17:14
One thing to consider is what types of maps do you want to make and for what game system. Some companies use certain mapping software and have may the files available so you can edit them if you have the same mapping program.

I'm not familiar with Virtual Battle Map. In addition to CC3/CC3+ I also recommend you check out Inkwell Ideas map programs, Fractal Mapper 8, & Dundjinni (I might have spell this one wrong.). They all have demos as I recall . I have CC2/CC3/CC3+. FM8, Dundjinni, the Inkwell Ideas programs, and some free mapping programs, so I can answer any questions if you need to.

jpstodwftexas
December 29th, 2016, 21:35
Dundjinni in itself is Defunct. Miracle if you can get a Legal Working Copy. It was my favorite Battle Map program. Beware it does not "simply" work on Windows 8 or above unless your good at computer work arounds. Fans are trying to revive it with a new version Dundjinni 2.0. If the forums work you can still find Artwork supported, even Maps. Several of the Posters are also regulars on Cartographer's Guild.

Artwork for Dundjinni works in CC3/CC3+ all they need to be is PNG with a transparent background..

I will say I have looked at VirtualMapper..I believe they will soon be setting the Bar for Maps. Since they do 3D Maps and also with the Program you can do "shimmering" effects live. They are new so their Art sets are few. Right now I just can't justify buying another Mapper, since I hardly play anymore and I ain't had many sales or commissions.

Jay_NOLA
December 30th, 2016, 17:52
The Dundjinni forums have gone down before and popped up again. The same with the store. You still could buy a legal copy not that long ago.

A official 2.0 version of Dundjinni was actually in the works at one point, before Dundjinni development stopped. I'm not sure what was done on it.

One thing about map programs that I mentioned I think briefly in another thread is that you can run into some issues with map symbols in other programs. The drop shadows are on png symbols in one and no drop shadows are on the pngs on others is a common thing to watch for. CC3/FM8 add drop shadows so symbols don't need them, while Dundjinni and DungeonographerPro don't, so those map symbols have them. The drop shadows make a difference of you look closely at the light sources and shadows on things. Plus some have some scale differences in regards to symbols sometimes. These are usually minor things, but if your wanting everything to look perfect you need to be aware of the differences.

jpstodwftexas
December 30th, 2016, 21:42
A official 2.0 version of Dundjinni was actually in the works at one point, before Dundjinni development stopped. I'm not sure what was done on it.

The rights to Dundjinni were purchased from Cindy, who has virtually disappeared, in 2016. She No longer communicates with anyone at all. Work was being planned on Dundjinni 2.0 with a few Core Fans involved. Sadly personal issues in real life cause a work stoppage, but word is that Work may resume in 2017.

The Forum rights however still belong to Cindy and no one can address the issues they are still having nor migrate them to a better host. Like you said Sometimes they are up, sometimes they Ain't. Eventually forums will be closed for ever since someone has to pay to keep them open.

Most of the Hardcore Fans have their own Deviantart pages now and like I said some are on the Cartographer's Guild, like Bogie. Bogie has been posting free art over there. And Now a New Generation of Artist have started sharing art over there in the Map Resource Forum.

Steel_Wind
February 3rd, 2017, 21:01
Dundjinni was never a very good program, though it is still out there and may still be found and downloaded with effort. More importantly, there are a lot of useful top down objects that remain highly serviceable as well -- Google finds most of them easily. (The Dundjinni community was always much better than the software itself.) They are great to use as objects within Photoshop and GIMP - and I do so often.

I would never recommend CC3 or Dungeon Designer 3 to anybody. These are very old packages with steep learning curves that simply do not generate output that is worthwhile by today's standards.

Photoshop (full version) can be had for $9.99 per month. GIMP2 is free. Between the two of them, there is nothing you cannot create. In fact, with not a lot of work and perhaps a month of YouTube tutorials and practice, you can be creating custom battlemps that will rival all but the very best commercial maps. They will please your players, please you and leave you with an "I made that!" feeling which cannot be beat.

Yes, you really do need Photoshop for the lighting/shadow maps (this is crucial), special effects and other powerful filters that will assist you in creating maps that do not have recognizable tileable texture patterns. GIMP2 doesn't have those features. That doesn't mean that there are not some tools in GIMP which are faster to use or better than Photoshop's mind you (I vastly prefer GIMP's freehand select tool over Photoshop's)

Anyway - point is, don't waste your money on hobby software without outdated feature sets. Don't settle. Use Photoshop and GIMP and make your maps pop.

The best introductory tutorials for Photoshop and Battlemapping is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQKnb6c-7Q

damned
February 3rd, 2017, 21:17
Different apps meet different peoples needs and abilities :)

Andraax
February 3rd, 2017, 21:26
I've been playing with the beta of Other World Mapper and it's great. Still has a few problems, but once they're worked out, it's gonna be great software...

Andraax
February 3rd, 2017, 21:53
I did this in like 5 minutes with Other World Mapper:

Steel_Wind
February 4th, 2017, 00:42
This map was my first attempt using Photoshop CC 2016 & GIMP 2.8.

I used a Dundjinni fountain with a pre-existing water effect. It's the worst part of the map, by far. I'd do it from scratch and spend the hour getting the water ripples and gradient right were I to do this again.

This was watching probably...six hours of Photoshop tutorials and bashing my head against the desk for another five hours creating this.

I could do another similar one now in much less time - probably three hours, with lighting effects. It takes even less time as you get better at it.

I do not have artistic talent. This is technical tool use in a creative way -- but it isn't art. If I can do this for the first time at age 51, you can do better.

But you have to try. There's no getting around that. You need to watch tutorials, take it seriously - and try.

seycyrus
February 4th, 2017, 07:16
I could do another similar one now in much less time - probably three hours, with lighting effects. It takes even less time as you get better at it.
I feel confident that I could generate a similar map in less time than three hours, maybe even closer to one, with CC3+ etc.

Not to get into a stupidity contest, but since you called out CC3 a post or two back... I really have to wonder how you can make that "worthwhile" comment, especially with the advent of CC3+

You talk about a steep learning curve, and then talk about a SIGNIFICANT amount of time with youtube videos. Seems to be pretty hypocritical.

Trenloe
February 4th, 2017, 17:15
Yeah, CC3 has been pretty good for a number of years now - with excellent bitmap symbols (replacing the ageing vectors that CC2 had), fantastic effects that make maps look amazing, faster rendering with CC3+, continued releasing of monthly annuals with new styles and guidance, free reign to use any of their symbols in commercial products, the list goes on. Yes it has a learning curve, but no more (IMHO less) than taking hours to suss out how to use a high-end graphics application - and then you have to go and spend more time searching for symbols to use, checking what their copyright situation is, etc., etc..

But, as damned says: "Different apps meet different peoples needs and abilities", but I definitely think that Campaign Cartographer was misrepresented in terms of the quality of it's output, and certainly the output is, IMHO, very worthwhile! Here's an example of taking one of those old maps mentioned and updating it for more recent CC3 symbols/style ("today's standards" maybe?): https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2017/february17.html Also check out some examples (in PDF format) at the bottom of this page: https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2015/index.html All done with CC3.

For those interested in giving Campaign Cartographer a "fair go", tutorials and quite a few quick examples were posted in this thread, start with this post and check a couple of pages forward/back: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary&p=284653&viewfull=1#post284653

P.S. This comment interested me: "I would never recommend CC3 or Dungeon Designer 3 to anybody. These are very old packages with steep learning curves..." A lot of people say exactly that about Fantasy Grounds and don't give it a fair go - just imagine what a lot of FG fans might have missed if they'd listened to those comments! :)

Jay_NOLA
February 4th, 2017, 21:34
ProFantasy also has a sister RPG publishing company and they use CC3/CC3+ to do the maps, etc. in it. CC3+ plus is certainly up to the modern standards.

ProFantasy does let you use maps made in CC3/CC3+ for commercial use. ( I think you need to contact and get an additional permission for Battle Maps if I remember some old posts correctly.)
CC3 takes bit to get used to learn how to use and people do find it overwhelming at first.
Your better off watching the YouTube videos, but once you learn how to use it you can churn out a good map.
I've ddone good overland maps in about 3-5 hours. A large dungeons in about 3-5. And battle maps for VTT in about a 1-2 hour. And I was stopping to periodically look at help files etc. in those times in some cases.
The program can do a lot and is powerfull. A good number of users often pair it with other programs to do maps. Doing one part in CC3 and some touch up stuff in Photoshop or GIMP.

CC3/CC3+ has an ever increasing symbol library too.

Dundjinni was a basic simple program, but it was used and still is to do many professional modern maps. A large number old Dundjinni users I've seen have made excellent modern looking maps.

Klandare
February 4th, 2017, 22:04
I have been using CC3+ for a bit now and have done a few maps and am liking it. It does take some getting use to, but using something like Photoshop would be way to much for me as I am not very good at drawing myself (I leave that work to my daughter who can basically do anything artistic).

These are a couple of the maps I did.

Let me know what you think.

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 00:58
All I use is CC3.
Personally I don't care for all the special effects on maps
here is one of my maps

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 01:08
I admit it takes me awhile to map because I never plan out the layouts first. I just think on it as I go.
I always do a 24x36 map incase I ever want to print it out in the future.
the ease to save at a specifuc dpi is a plus. As is simply adding a grid or having no grid

tonnichiwa
February 5th, 2017, 07:58
While CC3+ does have some very old vector artwork that I simply cannot stand, the software is a full vector graphics program that has had photoshop effects added.They have a full range of many more modern art styles and a lot of good looking art. The reason you never see anyone doing anything with those photoshop effects is usually because most people buy CC3+ because they are not artists in the first place, but still want to make cool maps, thus they don't really know how to use blend modes to begin with.

That being said, I have to completely disagree with CC3+ and DD3 as being old programs. While I admit that CC3 is old now, CC3+ is not. It is quite a good map making program as I have shown in my thread on this site about some of the maps I have made with it. I have even used the program to draw a small mountain range using nothing but freehand and it came out looking splendid. I can also draw Isometric buildings, and whole cities in many different styles if I wish to, as well as dungeons and top down cities, space stuff with Cosmographer 3, etc. If you want to see what CC3 can do as far as more modern looking maps, go to the Cartographer's Guild and look up Merelan City. It is a city made by the forum user named Mouse. That city was made using the sheet effects in CC3+ by someone who bought the program and IS an artist. She can make this software sing like a rock star, putting to rest any claims of it not being up to date.

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 16:49
While CC3+ does have some very old vector artwork that I simply cannot stand, the software is a full vector graphics program that has had photoshop effects added.They have a full range of many more modern art styles and a lot of good looking art. The reason you never see anyone doing anything with those photoshop effects is usually because most people buy CC3+ because they are not artists in the first place, but still want to make cool maps, thus they don't really know how to use blend modes to begin with.

That being said, I have to completely disagree with CC3+ and DD3 as being old programs. While I admit that CC3 is old now, CC3+ is not. It is quite a good map making program as I have shown in my thread on this site about some of the maps I have made with it. I have even used the program to draw a small mountain range using nothing but freehand and it came out looking splendid. I can also draw Isometric buildings, and whole cities in many different styles if I wish to, as well as dungeons and top down cities, space stuff with Cosmographer 3, etc. If you want to see what CC3 can do as far as more modern looking maps, go to the Cartographer's Guild and look up Merelan City. It is a city made by the forum user named Mouse. That city was made using the sheet effects in CC3+ by someone who bought the program and IS an artist. She can make this software sing like a rock star, putting to rest any claims of it not being up to date.

I have been a Campaign Cartographer since it was just an Overland Mapper....I have been through all incaranations of CC->CC2->CCPro->CC3->CC3+ :)
plus the Add Ons City Designer, Dungeon Designer

So true...Never been an Artist. I have always relied upon Artists to creat the Artwork for me.
Artist will always have an Edge over us "Stampers". They can make unique artwork as described in Moduals and Stories. I just have to find a close representation.

I am a regular on the Cartographer's Guild also. And "Mouse" does rock the House.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2017, 16:58
These are a couple of the maps I did.

Let me know what you think.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I really like the cavern wall effects on the second map.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2017, 16:59
here is one of my maps
Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

<stolen for my ever increasing map collection> :)

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 18:01
Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

<stolen for my ever increasing map collection> :)

Would you Like the Second Floor and the Basement also? Forgot to mention the VTT Versions are 72 DPI
All my Maps are 1"=5'
Or a Gridded Version or Even a 300 DPI Version suitable for printing..
I will have several more Buildings ready soon for the Anvil House Complex.

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 18:11
Sorry Double posted

Trenloe
February 5th, 2017, 19:00
Would you Like the Second Floor and the Basement also?
That would be fantastic!

I usually work with between 50 and 100 pixels per 5' square, so 72dpi is fine with me.

Thanks so much. :)

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 19:11
Seems the forums don't like my Pictures so you can find them here.https://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com/

jpstodwftexas
February 5th, 2017, 19:19
Ahh Forget it..I tried even linking the picture by URL and it didn't work...just get them off my Deviantart page

Trenloe
February 5th, 2017, 19:25
Seems the forums don't like my Pictures so you can find them here.https://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com/
Probably file size being the issue uploading here. Thanks again for sharing. :)

Jay_NOLA
February 5th, 2017, 21:47
For the CC3/CC3+ users. Joe Sweeney has a Master Mapping class that is free and has added more CC3+ tutorials for map making to his you tube channel.
Check out the additional info section for the video in the link for the master mapping class link to sign up for it

https://youtu.be/N_fzTaf9Lgs

Trenloe
February 5th, 2017, 23:14
For the CC3/CC3+ users. Joe Sweeney has a Master Mapping class that is free and has added more CC3+ tutorials for map making to his you tube channel.
Check out the additional info section for the video in the link for the master mapping class link to sign up for it

Thanks for sharing the info and link - no excuse for not getting going with CC3+ now! :)

Krimson
February 7th, 2017, 04:23

I'd recommend going through the Overland Tutorials first. They are organized here (https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88/videos?view=0&shelf_id=5&sort=p). Start with Part A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLaTKOJC6og) and go through ALL of them. That's 16 videos. It's not as tedious as it sounds as several videos are working on the same piece of land, but focusing on different tools. If you go through those 16 tutorials you will have the basic skill set you need for CC3. It's worth it. You can see some stuff I've done here (https://s415.photobucket.com/user/KrimsonGray/library/Campaign%20Cartographer).

jpstodwftexas
February 7th, 2017, 04:40
New Video posted also...Make sure and subscribe to notifications also

Jay_NOLA
February 7th, 2017, 17:25
He had 2 new video. Both were on YouTube but only one , the "ghosted one" was showing up when I went to YouTube if you logged into his Mapping Class site you could see both and get the YouTube like for the 2nd one. I think he has some videos that he is going to makeview able only to those that sign up for the Master Mapping Class.

Also, on his Master Mapping site he organized all of the videos in to a recomended watch order and added some info for doing the the older ones with CC3+.

kalnaren
February 18th, 2017, 22:22
Thanks for sharing the info and link - no excuse for not getting going with CC3+ now! :)

Unless some of the CAs one likes aren't compatible yet ;)

cyderak
March 28th, 2017, 22:18
This one is called MAP FORGE.

Here is the link to their Kickstarter that'll keep you updated: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/description

Its the simplest to use and makes the biggest and highest def maps. They are going to offer map tile set add-ons. Thats how they are going to make their money.

Other map making softwares are on the horizon but they use a subscription business model where you have to pay a monthly fee to use the software.

damned
March 28th, 2017, 22:58
Welcome cyderak. One thing heruca always aimed to do was provide a balanced review on things...

seycyrus
March 29th, 2017, 02:23
This one is called MAP FORGE.

Here is the link to their Kickstarter that'll keep you updated: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop/description

Its the simplest to use and makes the biggest and highest def maps. They are going to offer map tile set add-ons. Thats how they are going to make their money.

Other map making softwares are on the horizon but they use a subscription business model where you have to pay a monthly fee to use the software.

Yeah, that's a lot of opinion and not a lot of facts.

LeeSmith
April 3rd, 2017, 10:23
@ Klandare,

Glad you took the plunge with CC3+... I use almost all of their products, truly great products.

Have a look at YouTube for videos, and once your ready to start mapping, consider getting 1 or 2 of the Annuals... Reason being: they have PDF's that walk you threw creating a full map in that style of Annual you get... so it teaches you HOW to start making GREAT looking maps from the get go.....

You will need to start off just by reading the manual for CC3+ so you can understand how to use the product, then go to the Annual PDF of the style you want to try out, and by the time your done with that map, you will have a map that is of nice quality.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for you.

lee

cyderak
April 3rd, 2017, 16:27
@seycyrus - What facts did you need to hear?

Map Forge has a simple User Interface.

If you want new map tiles, you buy them.

No monthly subscription fee.

They work with a lot of the best RPG cartographers in the industry.

If there are any other facts you would like to know, let me know and I would love to provide you with all of the info you need.

Jay_NOLA
April 3rd, 2017, 22:16
For those who are looking at getting CC3/CC3+ currently Annuals 5 & Up have a CC3+ version. ProFantasy is releasing a CC3+ version of them in reverse releases order(from newesst to oldest) and 3 & 4 are currently being worked on for a CC3+ version to be out in the next few weeks.

LordEntrails
April 4th, 2017, 00:35
For those who are looking at getting CC3/CC3+ currently Annuals 5 & Up have a CC3+ version. ProFantasy is reading a CC3+ version of them in reverse releases order(from newesst to oldest) and 3 & 4 are currently being worked on for a CC3+ version to be out in the next few weeks.
Good news, thanks :)

seycyrus
April 4th, 2017, 03:52

If there are any other facts you would like to know, let me know and I would love to provide you with all of the info you need.

Something besides, "This is the bestest program evah! Cause I say so!"

damned
April 4th, 2017, 09:03

your previous post made some big claims (emphasis mine):

I backed the software but I also bought and backed other software that I think challenges all of your claims.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2017, 17:05
For those interested in Campaign Cartographer, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping has been updated to cover CC3+: https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp If you've bought it before, look for an email from ProFantasy with details of a reduced cost/free upgrade. If you haven't bought it before, this is great resource to help take further steps in creating great maps with CC3+ and it's add ons - over 700 pages of useful material, plus lots of example files.

Jay_NOLA
May 12th, 2017, 18:18
For those who use Campaign Cartographer or who are looking at getting it. All of the Annuals have been updated for use in CC3+. The last one that need to be updated just got released a few hours ago with a CC3+ version. The CC3+ updates are free so no need to re-buy any Annuals if you already own any of them already

The other CC3 stuff hasn't been updated for CC3+ is being worked on.

JHale1966
August 18th, 2017, 11:57
I just purchased Virtual Battlemap and all the DLC (except Space Dungeons) and plan to start working with it this weekend. My intent is to be able to create the maps in 3D, use a topdown version for FG and have an image of the 3D area available to share with the players. I also got into the MapForge kickstarter and just waiting for the final release as it looks like the best Dundjinni replacement (which I also have).

seycyrus
August 18th, 2017, 15:31
I just purchased Virtual Battlemap and all the DLC ...

If you don't mind answering, how much did that cost? I'm not seeing a nice list on steam. (Edit: nevermind, I see it). Do you have any comments regarding some of the harsh criticisms posted in the reviews?

Did you ever play NWN? If so, how does the NWN editor mode functionality compare to virtual battlemap?

JHale1966
August 18th, 2017, 15:37
If you don't mind answering, how much did that cost? I'm not seeing a nice list on steam. Do you have any comments regarding some of the harsh criticisms posted in the reviews?

Did you ever play NWN? If so, how does the NWN editor mode functionality compare to virtual battlemap?

I caught it on sale for about $23 and the DLC's were anywhere from $9.99 - $14.99. I've never done NWN so I can't relay any info on that. I'll play with it this weekend as I'm prepping stuff for 'The Marionette' and there are several buildings in that one.

celestian
August 18th, 2017, 17:33
your previous post made some big claims (emphasis mine):

I backed the software but I also bought and backed other software that I think challenges all of your claims.

Indeed. I backed MapForge as well but suspect it will be more of a "quick map" or battle map use than what I use CC3+ for. It seems to be a dunjinni type tool which is great but has it's own limits. That said I'm a big fan of dunjinni because it's easy to kick out a map in a short time that looks really good... and it's easy to learn. CC3+ can do the same but tends to take more time and a lot more experience.

The alpha of MapForge is still pretty non-functional on windows so I can't say for sure, this is just my speculation.

kalnaren
August 18th, 2017, 21:08
For those who use Campaign Cartographer or who are looking at getting it. All of the Annuals have been updated for use in CC3+. The last one that need to be updated just got released a few hours ago with a CC3+ version. The CC3+ updates are free so no need to re-buy any Annuals if you already own any of them already

The other CC3 stuff hasn't been updated for CC3+ is being worked on.

Are all the symbol sets updated?

Glad the CAs are. Main reason I wasn't using CC3+

Jay_NOLA
August 18th, 2017, 21:16
Al the symbol sets can be used in CC3+. Dioramas Pro is getting a CC3+ version next. They have a page on the ProFantasy site that gives the order things are being updated for CC3+.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2017, 21:36
The symbol sets have been updated to CC3+ for a while now, from before the annuals.

heruca
January 22nd, 2018, 05:48
Indeed. I backed MapForge as well but suspect it will be more of a "quick map" or battle map use than what I use CC3+ for. It seems to be a dunjinni type tool which is great but has it's own limits.
Hi Celestian. Have you seen the new videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQt0gdOW3g&list=PLnOSpNvFah1Hgod5B0EUdndChGuIA8ng-) I recently put together with the MapForge Beta?

hawkwind
January 22nd, 2018, 10:31
this looks worth a look, not tried it yet but its cheap https://store.steampowered.com/app/630900/Illwinters_Floorplan_Generator/

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2018, 21:34
Had a play with it, definitely at the quick and simple end of the market as on first impressions it makes Dungeon painter studio complicated but it does make some nice quick and easy maps and the manual had some unexpected options for importing your own tiles and icons and for lighting effects andshadows