PDA

View Full Version : Rem's Maps

Remedeez
December 16th, 2016, 15:42
Firstly, I am so far from a talented map-maker its not even funny. So you've been warned: These maps are either terrible, super simple/basic, or some combination of both!

That being said, I have made some maps and just wanted to share! Maybe over time my mapping/artistic skills will improve and as I add to this map collection they will *hopefully* get better and better!

These are all free for anyone to use, however they like. They were all made using a combination of Campaign Cartographer 3+ (and its addons Dungeon Designer and City Designer) and Photoshop.

This map is my homebrew world I've been DMing for a while now. You can use it however you want. The world, in general, is called Aldor, named so for the first humans who settled it, and the largest kingdom in the land is also called Aldor.

This map is of the town Littledale where my PCs began their adventures. It is, however, unlabeled and you can call it whatever you want to!

These maps are for a story line my PCs went on early in the campaign. The first is of a miner's camp just outside 2 mine/cave locations. The 2nd and 3rd maps are maps of the inside of the caves/mines. These maps are not gridded, even though we used them as battle maps. I just used Fantasy Grounds "set grid" option inside the program. So that makes these as flexible as you want them to be.
16937 16938 16939

That's all for now. I'll add more soon!

damned
December 16th, 2016, 20:46
Thanks Remedeez!

Bidmaron
December 16th, 2016, 21:49
Seems like you did a great job on continent map and camp/mine maps.

Thegroo
December 17th, 2016, 02:13
Thanks for sharing

MarianDz
December 17th, 2016, 10:38
This "New mine.jpg" is interesting especially for presence of hidden chamber. Nice work

Remedeez
December 18th, 2016, 02:41
Thanks everyone for the comments so far!

Yes the hidden chamber on the new mine map is left that way so a DM could use it as they saw fit, or not use it at all too. Either way :) I try to make things flexible for me, and in sharing them, flexible for others too.

Remedeez
January 12th, 2017, 00:17
I have spent the last week or so reworking the world map for my campaign world, now called Aldonia.

Below are the regular version of the new world map, the political map AND a completely unlabeled version if anyone wants to make their own cities/locations and such. :) Enjoy.
17369 17370 17371

I'll try to get a blog post up at some point detailing more stuff about the world. Or maybe a PDF, similar to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. But free for anyone to use, as always.

Thegroo
January 12th, 2017, 01:38
Thank you for sharing

tonnichiwa
January 12th, 2017, 01:49
Very cool stuff. I like your world maps. May I ask what you did to them in photoshop?

Remedeez
January 12th, 2017, 01:54
Very cool stuff. I like your world maps. May I ask what you did to them in photoshop?

Well, I used LOTS of layers.

Like everything is on its own layer. Terrain color, the brushes for the trees, hills, mountains, etc. All the coastline is its own layer. City names get their own layer. Terrain names get their own layer. So on and so forth. Then, depending on the layers, I play around a lot with blend modes, layer effects and such til I like the way it all looks.

tonnichiwa
January 12th, 2017, 02:26
Hmm. Do you know you can do the same thing in CC3+?

You just add a layer for everything, just like you did with photoshop. Then you add a blend mode to each layer and choose which effect you want from the drop down menu, then play around with them until you get what you like.

Remedeez
January 12th, 2017, 02:28
Hmm. Do you know you can do the same thing in CC3+?

I know CC3+ has sheet effects which are similar yet vastly different from Photoshop layer effects. Unfortunately I've only dabbled in CC3+ and I'm still quite horrible with it, so I can't give you much advice there. Heck, I'm still pretty new to doing cartography in Photoshop too, I just find it easier to use for me. I know the Cartographer's Guild forums have lots of tutorials and tips and tricks for CC3+, you can check them out here. (https://cartographersguild.com/content.php)

tonnichiwa
January 12th, 2017, 02:39
The blend modes actually were programmed to be just like Photoshops. Let me show you what I mean.

This was made using the blend modes in CC3+ and the freehand drawing tool.

Remedeez
January 12th, 2017, 02:40
The blend modes actually were programmed to be just like Photoshops. Let me show you what I mean.

This was made using the blend modes in CC3+ and the freehand drawing tool.

See! You already know more than I do! Ha!!

Doh! I just realized that my brain wasn't reading your replies the right way! I'm so sorry! I thought you were ASKING me if I knew how to do those things, like to explain to you. SO SORRY! I see now that you're being ever so kind and showing me that I can do those things in CC3+.

*blush*

Heh. Please forgive me if I came off sounding silly or rude!!

tonnichiwa
January 12th, 2017, 02:41
Lol, I was just trying to save you some time so you didn't have to re-load everything into photoshop :P Anyway, the most important thing is to have fun mapping:)

EDIT: hehe, it's ok. No offense taken. Glad I could be of help. :)

Remedeez
January 13th, 2017, 01:51
So I decided to try out Virtual Battlemap (check it out on Steam here (https://store.steampowered.com/app/496490/)) and for my first map in it I made a tavern/inn. Thing.

Its ok, but I think I can do better. One thing I like about VBM is the ability to take 3D interior photos, for use as handouts, to give the players a really good feel of what the place looks like.

Here's the Lazy Dragon Inn:

And the aforementioned interior photo:

As always, feel free to use these in your campaigns and whatnot, if you want!

damned
January 13th, 2017, 02:04
Nice feature :)

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2017, 03:10
So I decided to try out Virtual Battlemap (check it out on Steam here (https://store.steampowered.com/app/496490/)) and for my first map in it I made a tavern/inn. Thing.

Its ok, but I think I can do better. One thing I like about VBM is the ability to take 3D interior photos, for use as handouts, to give the players a really good feel of what the place looks like....
Interesting. I do note that the fireplaces happen to cast light on the outside of the inn (in the overhead).

Do you have any idea if its possible to add your own 2 & 3D assets?

Remedeez
January 13th, 2017, 03:13
Interesting. I do note that the fireplaces happen to cast light on the outside of the inn (in the overhead).

Do you have any idea if its possible to add your own 2 & 3D assets?

Welp... I think the lighting issue was my fault heh. I placed the "fire" asset too deep in, I think.
And unfortunately there is no way to add your own assets (at least, not that I'm aware of). I'm hoping in the future the developer of VBM will add Steam workshop features, maybe then we could add our own assets. But I can't speak for them, and I only just got this software today so I don't know their plans for the future much on it. :/

Edited: Meant Steam workshop, not Steam marketplace. Doh.

Edit 2: According to the developer, they intend to add Steam workshop features in the future, so the community can create/add/share assets. Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/496490/discussions/1/365172547939075400/

LindseyFan
January 13th, 2017, 06:49
Thanks for sharing the Steam link! Some of the reviews have me nervous to buy it though. Would love to hear what you think about it after you use it for a while. I would trust one FG user over a dozen Steam random.