PDA

View Full Version : Extension: 5E Theme - FG Pro

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 16th, 2016, 05:29
Here is a theme that I've developed for 5E. It's called fg Pro. Please take a look and let me know what you think. If you notice any bugs / problems let me know and I'll do my best to fix them.

The idea behind this was to greatly simplify the User Interface. I have always loved how FG works, but have found the User Interface to be crowded and distracting. This is my first stab at a theme. If you have any pointers for how I could have achieved this easier / better I'd love to hear it.

At the time of this typing, the extension is at v0.1.0
- I'll keep updating this post as changes happen.

2016/12/18 : v0.1.1 : Fixed some buttons on the Manage Characters screen
2016/12/19 : v0.1.2 : Housekeeping (removed unnecessary files and code, cutting the total file size by half)
2017/02/12 : v2.0.0 : Thanks to Dulux-Oz, this is now compatible with his extensions (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions&p=242586&viewfull=1#post242586), and the coding is greatly simplified (so different, it's now at v2.0.0). * This appears to be compatible with the 3.2.3 update (If you discover otherwise, please post in this thread)
2017/02/25 : v2.1 : Fixed an issue with the weapons and equipment sub-windows. I’m sure that is the last problem that will ever be found with this extension (he said knowingly) - Thanks to Lord Gwydion and Rob2EE for the continuing feedback
2017/07/15 : v2.2 : Fixed magnifying glass icon

2018/01/14 : THIS EXTENSION IS NOW OPEN SOURCE AND FOR THE TIME BEING I WILL NOT BE DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THIS EXTENSION, PLEASE SEE HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41922-GAP-amp-PRO-Themes-now-open-source&p=371779#post371779) FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION (THANKS FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT). I WILL STILL DO MY BEST TO TRY TO ANSWER / AID IN ANY WAY I CAN.

LindseyFan
December 16th, 2016, 08:43
Whoa that looks good! When I get back to my machine, I am so downloading it.

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2016, 10:56
Can you say how the interface is simplified? It seems to be the same interface only in gray.

A lot of work has clearly gone into this but it's not to my personal taste; the text is more difficult (for me) to read. I'd need more contrast between the background colour and the text colour and I like the 3d buttons rather than flat ones.

I'll ask Trenloe to sticky this in the extensions thread so that it gets more exposure and doesn't get lost.

kp9911
December 16th, 2016, 12:01
This is some good stuff right here.

Do you have a tutorial on how to do this, I'd want to try my hand at this.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 16th, 2016, 12:52
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 16th, 2016, 13:03
Can you say how the interface is simplified? It seems to be the same interface only in gray.

A lot of work has clearly gone into this but it's not to my personal taste; the text is more difficult (for me) to read. I'd need more contrast between the background colour and the text colour and I like the 3d buttons rather than flat ones.

I'll ask Trenloe to sticky this in the extensions thread so that it gets more exposure and doesn't get lost.

This is absolutely not going to be for everyone. I took my design / visual cues from programs like Adobe Illustrator / Apple Aperture / Autocad, etc. It's not perfect, and there are a lot of elements that I couldn't change to my satisfaction, but for now this is the best I can do. It's not that I didn't like the interface that comes pre-packaged (or the Wizards 5E theme). It's that there are a lot of conflicting design elements that ended up very distracting for me. Basically I would find myself trying to line up different windows (because I'm anal and I like everything very ordered) and finding I couldn't because one looked like it was made out of leather, and the other had elaborate corner filigrees. Or in the case of the Wizards theme, the dragon heads and all of the protruding window titles. Don't get me wrong, it was the leather theme and the Wizards theme that brought me to Fantasy Grounds in the first place, but I found that USING it was different than LOOKING at it.

There was much more I would have liked to do to the interface, but I either don't have access to it, or I have absolutely no idea how to achieve it. So I stuck with what I could achieve without having to learn any programming. Honestly, this was just a fun exercise for me, kind of like a giant rubics cube.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 16th, 2016, 13:12
This is some good stuff right here.

Do you have a tutorial on how to do this, I'd want to try my hand at this.

No tutorial, I can say that the best way to actually learn how to do this is not going to come from me! What I did would look like a blind drunk man stumbling around in the darkness, with legos all over the floor...

The first thing I did was to create a duplicate of the 5E and CoreRPG rulesets. I then took an existing extension that someone else had created and duplicated that, then I went through that file folder and figured out the elements that needed to be there, and how the linking worked. Then I just went into the graphics folders of the CoreRPG and 5E rulesets and started poking around. Once I found the .png of the element I wanted to change, I added it to my new extension folder using the same file structure / naming from where it came, then I changed it, then saw what happened. Once I knew the name of the .png element I was changing, I could use my text editor (in this case TextWrangler... I"m on a mac. I think Notepad++ would the the Windows Equivalent) to search for wherever that file name showed up, then I would go and edit that and see what happened. One of the things that caught me over and over again was remembering to add the .xml files to the "includefile" section of the extension.xml. (once you get into this a bit more, you will see what I'm talking about).

This took me a LOOOONGGG time to make, probably something on the order of 60-80 hours. Now having done it, I think I could do it faster, since I have a better understanding of where files are located, and how the positioning system works. And now that I've ordered all of the XML files in a way that makes more sense to me.

I'm happy to give you any specific information you may be looking for, but I can assure you that there are MUCH MUCH more qualified people on this forum than me...

kp9911
December 16th, 2016, 15:47
I'm not jumping into this asap since I'm busy with finishing off the parser and there is tons of stuff to do?!!

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 18th, 2016, 16:00
No matter how hard I try, I always miss something. I just found a couple of missed buttons on the Manage Characters screen, they should be all fixed now.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 20th, 2016, 04:34
Another minor update, but worth the time, I removed the extra graphic elements that weren't being used, and edited the xml, cutting the extension file in total size by about half. I also modified how the sidebar buttons are rendered so that the using the "time of day" menu works properly without revealing my original poor workmanship on the buttons.

If anyone has any input / constructive criticism I'd love to hear it. I'm also interested in trying out some other color combinations, so if you have any ideas, post them here.

arkanis
December 20th, 2016, 08:53

Thanks for your hard work, but i'm with zacchaeus when he says that the theme needs more contrast. Also, I personally welcome that the wizards theme is white/beige/red, because i'm a bit tired of the blue/grey interfaces that seem to be canon (default windows, OSX, etc...)

Szabtom
December 20th, 2016, 09:24
I like the look. I could probably use this when I work on a story, and switch to a D&D theme for game sessions.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 21st, 2016, 02:54
Thanks for your hard work, but i'm with zacchaeus when he says that the theme needs more contrast. Also, I personally welcome that the wizards theme is white/beige/red, because i'm a bit tired of the blue/grey interfaces that seem to be canon (default windows, OSX, etc...)

I hear you... I can see what you're talking about. I guess this won't be for everyone, which is fine. The canon interfaces you mention are exactly what I was aping as well as other obnoxiously named "pro" apps. I'm happy that you took the time to comment though. When I start my next version, I will be making it more contrast-y.

I wrestled with the fact that I was basically removing all of the "fantasy" from it. I guess, as an exercise I found it very fulfilling, figuring out where all of the pieces / parts were located and how they interrelated. I've literally never done anything like this (on this scale) before. I've certainly tinkered before, but this was a whole other thing altogether. I truly had no plan when I started it, I just kept modifying it until it looked like something I wanted to use. There were several iterations that had much more contrast, and a couple that had even less (if you can believe it).

Thanks again for your comments, I love hearing criticism (as long as it's constructive). I've said it before, this is one of the most incredible, troll-less communities I think I've ever come across. Part of why I even had the guts to upload this theme is because I knew that even if it wasn't liked, it wouldn't turn nasty, telling me to go kill myself, etc.

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 04:09
Need to find a way like inception to get you to write a guide :)

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 21st, 2016, 04:31
Need to find a way like inception to get you to write a guide :)

I may pull together a video showing some of the basic stuff I did. I can say that the app "skitch" was pretty helpful. I was able to make visual notes on actual screenshots of where things were and what they were called (I have several like the following).

As I came across elements I knew I was going to need to remember later, I'd take a screen capture and make a note of what I'd just edited, so I had a hope of finding it again.

Nickademus
December 21st, 2016, 04:34
I do have a question for you. I plan on, in the near future, compiling an art asset list for 5E themes. Did you by chance make one when you made this theme?

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 21st, 2016, 04:43
I do have a question for you. I plan on, in the near future, compiling an art asset list for 5E themes. Did you by chance make one when you made this theme?

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I took all of the parts that needed editing and made individual artboards in Adobe Illustrator for them. When I redrew them each, then exported as .png, they take on the name of the artboard. See attached. As of right now, if you were to go into the extension, and look in the "graphics / fgpro_graphics/ " folder, you would see everything that I edited. There is still a fair bit that I never touched, mostly because it fit in the theme as is. I have all of the xmls updated as well. These would probably get you what you are looking for quickly, if you can explain more of what you need, I can probably get it done for you.

Right now, there are a total of 280 pieces of new art that I created. I would estimate that there are another 50 or so that were untouched. Since I've been looking at them so frequently, I could probably get together a full file of all the parts that would need editing for the 5E ruleset. The problem is that some of the files reside in the Core RPG ruleset, then some of the overriding files reside in the 5E ruleset. So in a lot of cases, I was in fact overriding the overrides in the 5E ruleset.

In any case, what would be the best way to provide this info to you?

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 21st, 2016, 04:50
to give you an idea, here is a screen capture of just the "frames" file that I have.

file 1 = the original Core RPG / 5E assets

file 2 = my replacement files

in both cases, you can see the "art boards" on the right, which shows the names.

Slayyne
December 29th, 2016, 02:36
Why hasn't FG released a theme guide? So you are saying that there is no documentation on how to create themes for FG?

Nickademus
December 29th, 2016, 02:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQogq06PJHM

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 30th, 2016, 17:37
I made another skin, which can be found here:
Extension-5E-Theme-FG-GAP (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35819-Extension-5E-Theme-FG-GAP&p=310667#post310667)

vizwa
January 2nd, 2017, 21:43
This is really great! And very inspiring for me to see. I'm about halfway through doing something very similar (half, judging by the 60-80 you've put into it). I'm also mirroring the typical design app UI, but with more white background where walls of text appear.

A question, if you don't mind. I'm preparing to dive into Fastgraph to start messing with the fonts. One of the critical requirements for me is a larger main body font. Not crazy large, but slightly larger. The /uiscale doesn't work very well in Wine on a Mac retina display—or not well enough for me anyway. Is this a ton of work, and is it even worth it? I'm willing to disregard it if the results aren't going to be much of an improvement.

Again, I am so psyched to see someone do something like this. I'll likely have loads more questions in the future. :)

And yeah, there really aren't any detailed full-UI redesign tutorials or instructions that I've found. I've been working on it through trial and error (lots of error).

Thanks for sharing this!

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 2nd, 2017, 22:00
This is really great! And very inspiring for me to see. I'm about halfway through doing something very similar (half, judging by the 60-80 you've put into it). I'm also mirroring the typical design app UI, but with more white background where walls of text appear.

A question, if you don't mind. I'm preparing to dive into Fastgraph to start messing with the fonts. One of the critical requirements for me is a larger main body font. Not crazy large, but slightly larger. The /uiscale doesn't work very well in Wine on a Mac retina display—or not well enough for me anyway. Is this a ton of work, and is it even worth it? I'm willing to disregard it if the results aren't going to be much of an improvement.

Again, I am so psyched to see someone do something like this. I'll likely have loads more questions in the future. :)

And yeah, there really aren't any detailed full-UI redesign tutorials or instructions that I've found. I've been working on it through trial and error (lots of error).

Thanks for sharing this!

couldn't be easier...

go here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides to get the FGF font generator. The one caveat is that it only works on PC... not sure about installing that into a wine package. I'm also on a Mac with a Retina display... I normally run Fantasy Grounds with a wine installation, but I also have Parallels with Windows running for those rare instances where I can't make it work with Wine.

Basically, you just open the FGF Font Generator, and navigate to the font file you want to convert, then set the type size to what you want, then name it appropriately, then link it in the graphics_fonts.xml.

There's also a way to use a straight TrueType font... I was able to achieve it in one of my previous extensions (Dragon head removed theme (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35260-5E-Wizards-Theme-with-Dragon-Heads-Removed-(for-limited-display-space-situations)))... maybe open that up and see if you can backwards engineer it from there. Below is the line of code in the extension.xml file...

<!-- Windows -->
<font name="windowtitle">
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/MrsEavesSmallCaps_Regular.ttf" name="MrsEavesSmallCaps" size="32" />
<color value="831C24" />
</font>

Then you just have to include the .ttf file in the correct folder. You may be able to just use that in your graphics_fonts.xml.

If you run into problems, let me know, I can probably help you out...

damned
January 2nd, 2017, 22:31

Thanks for sharing this!

If you feel there is a need for a tutorial and you are going through the learn process yourself... do consider writing a tutorial :)

couldn't be easier...

go here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides to get the FGF font generator. The one caveat is that it only works on PC... not sure about installing that into a wine package. I'm also on a Mac with a Retina display... I normally run Fantasy Grounds with a wine installation, but I also have Parallels with Windows running for those rare instances where I can't make it work with Wine.

Basically, you just open the FGF Font Generator, and navigate to the font file you want to convert, then set the type size to what you want, then name it appropriately, then link it in the graphics_fonts.xml.

There's also a way to use a straight TrueType font... I was able to achieve it in one of my previous extensions (Dragon head removed theme (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35260-5E-Wizards-Theme-with-Dragon-Heads-Removed-(for-limited-display-space-situations)))... maybe open that up and see if you can backwards engineer it from there. Below is the line of code in the extension.xml file...

<!-- Windows -->
<font name="windowtitle">
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/MrsEavesSmallCaps_Regular.ttf" name="MrsEavesSmallCaps" size="32" />
<color value="831C24" />
</font>

Then you just have to include the .ttf file in the correct folder. You may be able to just use that in your graphics_fonts.xml.

If you run into problems, let me know, I can probably help you out...

All assets you include you must have copyright permission or ownership for. If you include fonts (as truetype or fgf) they must be in the public domain or you must have permission to use and share them. Same goes for any images you use. Copyright law is complex and varies from place to place. If you are not sure you can use something you probably should not.... You can use copyright images in your own games but you may not be able to share them with others....

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 2nd, 2017, 22:42
All assets you include you must have copyright permission or ownership for. If you include fonts (as truetype or fgf) they must be in the public domain or you must have permission to use and share them. Same goes for any images you use. Copyright law is complex and varies from place to place. If you are not sure you can use something you probably should not.... You can use copyright images in your own games but you may not be able to share them with others....

Yeah, for the two recent theme extensions I've made, I've used fonts strictly from the "Google Fonts" collection, linked here: https://fonts.google.com These should be clear for you to use, they're free and open sourced, made specifically for projects like what you're talking about.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 2nd, 2017, 23:21

Thanks for sharing this!

I'm trying to start up a repository for this stuff... as I found that I learned a lot through trial and error, just like you are doing. I think there's ways that the process could be streamlined and made easier. When you get done with your project, if you're interested in collaborating on something like I'm describing, let me know... can't wait to see the theme you're working on!

Here's a link to the thread I've started for theme information... Project: Gui5E (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35837-Project-Gui5E)

Gwydion
January 25th, 2017, 13:46
I heard that you are working with Dulux-Oz and trying to work on the compatibility of the Pro and GAP skins with his DOE extensions. I love using the GAP skin and always use us DOE extensions so both are musts for me! Much appreciated. I also understand if ultimately it isn't possible as I know this is a lot of work. Thanks again.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 25th, 2017, 14:04
I heard that you are working with Dulux-Oz and trying to work on the compatibility of the Pro and GAP skins with his DOE extensions. I love using the GAP skin and always use us DOE extensions so both are musts for me! Much appreciated. I also understand if ultimately it isn't possible as I know this is a lot of work. Thanks again.

Yes we have communicated, and he informed me of what I kind of already knew... I have no business messing around with XML ;-). There are some problems in the extension that could rear their head in the future (with FG updates). Fixing these problems are going to take some actual learning on my part. My first issue is that I have absolutely no background with any of this (other than the graphics component), so I will be reading up and going back to my 'trial and error' method to make corrections.

As of right now I'm still not sure what the incompatibility between the extensions is, but I'm committed to work it out if it's possible. Glad to hear that you enjoy the skin. (<-weirdest sentence I've ever written)

I will keep this up to date with progress (this is a nights and weekends affair for me).

Gwydion
January 25th, 2017, 14:26
Yes we have communicated, and he informed me of what I kind of already knew... I have no business messing around with XML ;-). There are some problems in the extension that could rear their head in the future (with FG updates). Fixing these problems are going to take some actual learning on my part. My first issue is that I have absolutely no background with any of this (other than the graphics component), so I will be reading up and going back to my 'trial and error' method to make corrections.

As of right now I'm still not sure what the incompatibility between the extensions is, but I'm committed to work it out if it's possible. Glad to hear that you enjoy the skin. (<-weirdest sentence I've ever written)

I will keep this up to date with progress (this is a nights and weekends affair for me).

Well excellent job with what you've done! I also definitely understand that for most folks here this is all a labor of love and is a nights and weekends thing. Bottom line I appreciate the effort and have gotten a ton of use out of it already. If it is able to get updated, that is just icing on the cake for me! Thanks again for your effort.

Nickademus
January 25th, 2017, 17:30
As of right now I'm still not sure what the incompatibility between the extensions is, but I'm committed to work it out if it's possible.

I can tell you about this. You have lua and xml files in your extension that are also in his. He makes changes, then your extension is loaded and resets the files back to the originals. His other files try to interact with the changes, but FG doesn't know about them anymore since it is using your copied files.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 25th, 2017, 17:46
I can tell you about this. You have lua and xml files in your extension that are also in his. He makes changes, then your extension is loaded and resets the files back to the originals. His other files try to interact with the changes, but FG doesn't know about them anymore since it is using your copied files.

Aaah, I understand now. Then I need to figure out a way to control the frames referenced in the .xmls and .luas in my theme without including the actual .xmls and .luas.

Is that even possible? I don't see a way to exert control over the frames and graphic elements that I've taken over without including the .xmls and .luas that I've included in the theme...

The other possibility is that I would have to basically add in the DOE extension (I know this would be ill advised, and would need permissions, etc.) and make a PRO/DOE theme specifically for being able to use both at the same time... please, I hope that's not the only way.

Again, in case the point has not been made yet... I'm a total babe in the woods with this stuff, as is probably evident by my above comments.

Nickademus
January 25th, 2017, 18:38
I had already directed you to where you could learn about it. Templates utilize a merging system. I believe the windowclasses also use the merge rules so that you can just change the size dimensions without copying the entire windowclass. I still don't know what you need to change a lua file for. Every graphical element has an xml object that contains elements (variables) for the display dimensions.

I would not advice trying to combine with DOE's because a) it is unlikely he will give permission, and b) you really should learn how to make no-conflict themes if you are going to share them with the community.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/templates.xcp

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 25th, 2017, 19:35
I had already directed you to where you could learn about it. Templates utilize a merging system. I believe the windowclasses also use the merge rules so that you can just change the size dimensions without copying the entire windowclass. I still don't know what you need to change a lua file for. Every graphical element has an xml object that contains elements (variables) for the display dimensions.

I would not advice trying to combine with DOE's because a) it is unlikely he will give permission, and b) you really should learn how to make no-conflict themes if you are going to share them with the community.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/templates.xcp

Clearly I've irritated you with this... not my intention. You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge, since there are literally NO other community made themes that go to the extent that I've attempted here. If there are, then I would like to see them. The other ones I've seen make minor modifications and don't tackle everything I did. I started a thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35837-Project-Gui5E&highlight=gui5e) to bring together people that could advise on EXACTLY THIS, but that died. So, for now, you'll just have to look at my ill-prepared, unprofessional theme. I've read the link that you sent, but as I've said over and over again, I'm not a programmer, this stuff is just not common sense.

As for why the .luas? Any of the lua files that I included in the theme are there because the callout for a particular graphical component was located within it. For instance, the “number.lua” file is there because it’s the only place I could take control over the “field_rollable” component. Likewise, the “char_weapon.lua” is there because of the callout for “rowshade” which I needed to change to “fieldfocus”. I'm sure somewhere in the link you attached it tells how to deal with this, I realize it's a problem, but I'm just not understanding at the moment how to deal with it, no matter how many times I look for the answer. If it's in that link, and I'm not seeing it, then you have some idea of what skill ability I'm at.

I didn't restart this thread, I'm responding to questions/comments. You can feel free to ignore anything I post from here on in, I'm sorry if I continue to cause you stress somehow... that said, I do appreciate the help you've given so far.

Nickademus
January 25th, 2017, 22:04
The only thing that is irritating me is that you are now going in circles, reverting back to your original stance ignoring the help that people have already given you. If you don't understand the idea of merge rules, make a post asking about that specifically. People will point you to where you can find examples in the rulesets. You can learn xml and lua by working with the code just like the rest of us (some of which are not programmers either).

You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge, since there are literally NO other community made themes that go to the extent that I've attempted here. If there are, then I would like to see them. The other ones I've seen make minor modifications and don't tackle everything I did.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20355-Alternative-Wood-and-Dungeon-Themes&p=166936
You'll find towards the end the same conflicts with DOE exists that were overcome.

As for why the .luas? Any of the lua files that I included in the theme are there because the callout for a particular graphical component was located within it. For instance, the “number.lua” file is there because it’s the only place I could take control over the “field_rollable” component. Likewise, the “char_weapon.lua” is there because of the callout for “rowshade” which I needed to change to “fieldfocus”. I'm sure somewhere in the link you attached it tells how to deal with this, I realize it's a problem, but I'm just not understanding at the moment how to deal with it, no matter how many times I look for the answer. If it's in that link, and I'm not seeing it, then you have some idea of what skill ability I'm at.

Okay, I see what you are changing the lua files for. You are trying to change the offsets of the widgets and backgrounds. This is because you changed the size of something. It's best not to change the size of minor things like that; large windows, okay, but small icons and backgrounds probably not wise.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 25th, 2017, 22:38
The only thing that is irritating me is that you are now going in circles, reverting back to your original stance ignoring the help that people have already given you.

^^^^I had no intention of asking for more advice on this, since I still haven't been able to make any changes since you sent the link a couple weeks ago. Once I have a solid block of time to use the instructions in it I will hopefully know more.

This is because you changed the size of something. It's best not to change the size of minor things like that; large windows, okay, but small icons and backgrounds probably not wise.

^^^^ I'm finding this to be very true... I may need to reconsider some of the design elements to work around this fact... the problem is that a lot of the elements are used in multiple places, so I need to make changes to them very carefully, as they have unforeseen consequences. I will add the link to the previous theme that was made to work with the DOE extensions to my reading list. I will also add, that in the case of the rowshade -> fieldfocus on the "char_weapon.lua" I am changing the actual graphic being used, not just changing the offset.

Nickademus
January 25th, 2017, 23:29
One of the best things you can do right now is it make a note of every instance you become aware of in which a graphic variable is used for something other than what it is named to be. (Backgrounds and windows obviously don't count). Keep a list and either post them or give them to me to add to the asset list. That way new theme designers can plan around the overlaps.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 25th, 2017, 23:59
One of the best things you can do right now is it make a note of every instance you become aware of in which a graphic variable is used for something other than what it is named to be. (Backgrounds and windows obviously don't count). Keep a list and either post them or give them to me to add to the asset list. That way new theme designers can plan around the overlaps.

Yeah, there's stuff hidden all over the place. What I'll end up with is a list of the components that are included in each of the xml and lua files that I included in my extension. I did alter about 80% of the coreRPG & 5E graphics, but I know there was probably 20% of things that I was able to leave alone, so, if I come across those, I'll make a note of it.

dulux-oz
January 26th, 2017, 00:43
Yes we have communicated, and he informed me of what I kind of already knew... I have no business messing around with XML ;-).

I never actually said that :)

To everyone reading this => ||00 and I are working on this and we'll get it sorted - have patience; ||00 is new at this and I've been asleep for the last 12 hours, but trust me, we'll get it sorted :)

LordEntrails
January 26th, 2017, 02:24
... I've been asleep for the last 12 hours,...
Fallacies! Lies! Heretic!

dulux-oz
January 26th, 2017, 04:37
Fallacies! Lies! Heretic!

OK, so I was sacrificing RPG-virgins on the Alter of GameMaster Infalability that is my latest game - the power, the ABSOLUTE POWER - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Gwydion
January 26th, 2017, 13:20
OK, so I was sacrificing RPG-virgins on the Alter of GameMaster Infalability that is my latest game - the power, the ABSOLUTE POWER - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now that's more like it! :)

Nickademus
January 26th, 2017, 16:29
To everyone reading this => ||00 and I are working on this and we'll get it sorted - have patience; ||00 is new at this and I've been asleep for the last 12 hours, but trust me, we'll get it sorted :)

Be sure to make a tutorial video about it when you're done.

LordEntrails
January 27th, 2017, 00:02
My faith is now restored :)

Nickademus
February 3rd, 2017, 01:52
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36510-Merge-or-mergerules-for-deleting-controls

Some good links for merging here.

Slalom
February 6th, 2017, 12:48
A minor bug: When you drag and drop a "CAST" icon from a spell/power on Action Tab, there is no visual effect on mouse (like a dice or something). If you could fix this it would be great. Thank you very much. Your theme is awsome.

PS.
This bug exist also on "Fantasy Grounds GAP Skin".

Gwydion
February 6th, 2017, 13:32
A minor bug: When you drag and drop a "CAST" icon from a spell/power on Action Tab, there is no visual effect on mouse (like a dice or something). If you could fix this it would be great. Thank you very much. Your theme is awsome.

PS.

First of all, I love the GAP skin! Unfortunately I have tabled it for now as with the latest FG update now when I open NPC's there are no "tabs" on the side of them. So, when I want to open an image of the NPC (which is usually on the second tab), I can't do it. I've tried other standard skins and they work fine. It may just be a conflict with another extension I'm using but not sure which one until I test one by one. Just a heads up in case other notice it.

Again, I LOVE this skin and I know keeping everything current and compatible with other extensions is super challenging!

ll00ll00ll00ll
February 8th, 2017, 20:40

PS.

It appears that when dragging the cast button, it does not show the 3D dice unless it is an attack roll (not a save roll). For instance "Guiding Bolt" will show a die roll, but "Faerie Fire" will not. However I do see that the icon that I had planned for the GAP theme was not called out correctly and was instead using the CoreRPG icon. I will PM you with a test revision of the GAP theme to try out if you don't mind.

ll00ll00ll00ll
February 12th, 2017, 21:40
Thanks to Dulux-Oz, the theme code is now greatly simplified and compatible with his incredible extensions. Please update via the DMsGuild link at the top of this thread.

ll00ll00ll00ll
February 25th, 2017, 15:58
2017/02/25 - v2.1 : Fixed an issue with the weapons and equipment sub-windows. I’m sure that is the last problem that will ever be found with this extension (he said knowingly) - Thanks to Lord Gwydion and Rob2EE for the continuing feedback

xorbis
June 2nd, 2017, 18:28
Can't seem to be able to download it right now. Dungeon Masters Guild gives timeouts on checkout.
Any direct link?

Gwydion
June 2nd, 2017, 18:37
Can't seem to be able to download it right now. Dungeon Masters Guild gives timeouts on checkout.
Any direct link?

Welcome to the forum, xorbis! I checked the dmsguild link and it seems to be working fine for me. It is a zip file. Not sure if that is giving you trouble on the download?

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2017, 19:11
Any direct link?
Welcome to the community :)
I've noticed that the DMsG can act funny depending upon what browser you are using (I know, they should test that, but they apparently don't). There is usually (somewhere onthe page) an option to use the old downloader (I forget what they call the link). And I find that much more robust/stable/usable.

See if you can find that.

xorbis
June 2nd, 2017, 19:18
Works now, sorry for disturbing and thanks for the welcome!

ll00ll00ll00ll
June 2nd, 2017, 22:45
Works now, sorry for disturbing and thanks for the welcome!

Glad to hear this is working for you now...

feedback is always appreciated (good or bad). If I can just get through this giant database changeover here at work I've got some ideas for another couple themes...

xorbis
June 2nd, 2017, 23:52
Funny we are changing from MySQL to Mongo at my job.
I love the skin!

ll00ll00ll00ll
June 3rd, 2017, 02:32
Funny we are changing from MySQL to Mongo at my job.
I love the skin!

"Funny" is incorrect...

Qoff
June 14th, 2017, 05:22
Very clean and neat, the best part about it is that when you upscale it not loses the quality.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 15th, 2017, 18:18
2017/07/15: v2.2: Fixed magnifying glass icon

El Condoro
August 5th, 2017, 08:20
When the link text type is selected, there is no icon for a blank/empty link. This can be annoying when placeholder links are set (in sheets where links are to be added later, for example). With the Wizards skin there is a dragon outline that becomes a solid red dragon when a link is added. Just an outline without the exclamation mark for a link placeholder would be good here, too. Cheers.

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 5th, 2017, 12:45
When the link text type is selected, there is no icon for a blank/empty link. This can be annoying when placeholder links are set (in sheets where links are to be added later, for example). With the Wizards skin there is a dragon outline that becomes a solid red dragon when a link is added. Just an outline without the exclamation mark for a link placeholder would be good here, too. Cheers.

I'm not sure I see what you're referring to. I've attached a screenshot of the wizards theme next to the fg pro and fg gap, it appears to work as intended... am I misunderstanding?

(I can say that I will be modifying the blank link icon on the fg gap theme, it's much too easy to miss).

El Condoro
August 5th, 2017, 12:54
Yes, I am using FG GAP - wrong thread, sorry.

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 5th, 2017, 12:57
Yes, I am using FG GAP - wrong thread, sorry.

I'm on it... I agree, that's annoying. (I don't typically build modules, so this has gone unnoticed by me so far). Thanks for the head's up... I'll be fixing that and posting an update in the FG Gap thread.

GunnarGreybeard
August 5th, 2017, 12:58
(I can say that I will be modifying the blank link icon on the fg gap theme, it's much too easy to miss).

Thank you! I just got the FG GAP theme the other day and that white icon has been pretty hard on my old eyes.:D

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 5th, 2017, 13:03
Thank you! I just got the FG GAP theme the other day and that white icon has been pretty hard on my old eyes.:D

Going to continue this on the FG Gap thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35819-Extension-5E-Theme-FG-GAP)... keep your old eyes peeled, I will be fixing this and posting on that thread.

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 5th, 2017, 15:14
FYI, this has been revised, please see this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35819-Extension-5E-Theme-FG-GAP).

Qoff
August 16th, 2017, 16:08
What does those icons do? I cannot find them in my FG

https://i.imgur.com/lMvk6zf.png

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2017, 16:42
I'm guessing that's just a screenshot with stuff out of place. The icons are duplicates of those down the right hand side, top one is tables, next is images, story, not sure about the sword and the last one is notes.

Qoff
August 16th, 2017, 16:44
I'm guessing that's just a screenshot with stuff out of place. The icons are duplicates of those down the right hand side, top one is tables, next is images, story, not sure about the sword and the last one is notes.

Sword could be the combat tracker, those icons are from this screenshot:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16933&d=1481865982

Nickademus
August 16th, 2017, 16:54
I think those are the minimized window icons.

Qoff
August 16th, 2017, 16:59

Wtf? Is it possible to minimize it? How's that? Living and learning.

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 16th, 2017, 17:21
This is correct, in most windows if you right click you will see a "minimize" button, which will create a small icon on the desktop as shown.

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2017, 17:22
Yep, Nickademus has it I think. To minimize something right click and select minimise from the radial menu

Qoff
August 16th, 2017, 17:22
Cool, I've been using it since 2015 and didn't knew about it haha

ll00ll00ll00ll
August 16th, 2017, 17:24
What would be wonderful would be for a way to have the resulting icon show the name of the window it's based on. I have no idea how to achieve that, but it would be handy in the token window as well (on each token bag)

Nickademus
August 16th, 2017, 22:26
There is a variable for each windowclass that assigns a tooltip name to the minimized icon. Just hover over it to see what the window is. Same with the token bags I think.

GIndustries
January 3rd, 2018, 17:31
has anyone else been getting an error when opening up the the effects window?

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 3rd, 2018, 17:58
has anyone else been getting an error when opening up the the effects window?

What version are you currently running (check in the chat window at startup)

dberkompas
January 3rd, 2018, 18:03
Need an icon for Sounds, the DOE extension!!

Dave

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 3rd, 2018, 18:12
Need an icon for Sounds, the DOE extension!!

Dave

I will try to pull something together this weekend for this... no promises, kind of under a huge workload, we're migrating our database over at work, and I just started a new fiscal year. blech...

dberkompas
January 3rd, 2018, 18:18
Awesome, thanks ll00ll00ll00ll

Dave

GIndustries
January 3rd, 2018, 20:45
What version are you currently running (check in the chat window at startup)

i was running a 2.1 FG Gap. (not pro) i went back to dmsguild and saw and update that fixed it. thanks.

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 14th, 2018, 17:27
2018/01/14 : THIS EXTENSION IS NOW OPEN SOURCE AND FOR THE TIME BEING I WILL NOT BE DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THIS EXTENSION, PLEASE SEE HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41922-GAP-amp-PRO-Themes-now-open-source&p=371779#post371779) FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION (THANKS FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT). I WILL STILL DO MY BEST TO TRY TO ANSWER / AID IN ANY WAY I CAN.

mlesnews
January 19th, 2018, 02:41
Hello;
Any advice on how I can use these button images I created for use with '5E Theme FG Pro' and 'DOESound' sound extensions in respect (and permission) of both authors? I don't mind whomever would like to take ownership of these images for use with their extension.

### button_sound.png (https://imgur.com/WqxJWqU)
https://imgur.com/WqxJWqU

### button_sound_down.png (https://imgur.com/eXbfJxD)
https://imgur.com/eXbfJxD

ll00ll00ll00ll
January 20th, 2018, 14:38
Hello;
Any advice on how I can use these button images I created for use with '5E Theme FG Pro' and 'DOESound' sound extensions in respect (and permission) of both authors? I don't mind whomever would like to take ownership of these images for use with their extension.

See this link for more information.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41922-GAP-amp-PRO-Themes-now-open-source&p=371779#post371779

The FG PRO and GAP themes are no longer under direct support or development by me. The forum may be able to help you out with this.

Davinci522
March 18th, 2018, 01:38
Hey I have a question that maybe you could help me out if you remember. I am trying to work on my own theme and can't figure out the xml reference for something. There are tabs for spells/items. Your mod has them "modded" but when I am trying to make my theme they come up un-modded and I can't figure out what they are called so I can add them to the xml.

jrh18
March 27th, 2018, 01:21
I would recommend downloading the pro theme and checking out his xml. That is how I found a lot of stuff was by checking out other themes code. I would extract his code and load up the folder in atom. I would look at all the thumbnails of the images used and find the one you are looking for. Then just do a find in the entire project for the name of the image. Should locate the xml that is used for that image.

jrh18
March 27th, 2018, 01:23
Hello;

Aren't those buttons part of DOE's sound already? I thought he was supporting GAP in his plugins. If not I would recommend pinging him in the sound forum and providing him with those images for the theme.