PDA

View Full Version : Steam Winter/Holidays Sale?

Varsuuk
December 15th, 2016, 02:53
I know it is coming, any idea when it normally runs from-to?

I need to buy latest Lego Star Wars, some Freddy's for mah boy (and maybe Reaper's something for me - I HATE that I haven't bought Conclave on any of the cheapo sales - if someone could tell me I can buy it and nerf it with options so it WOULDN'T ruin my gameplay, I'd buy it just to be complete again)

... and ... maybe some more FG C&C or SW worlds... (on simul-sale here - I buy from SW site) who knows

sirkerrald
December 15th, 2016, 18:12
Everything I've seen says likely launching the 22nd. PCG had an article indicating that, but the quick reply won't let me link it.

I'm planning on buying the ultimate license and getting the D&D basics and stuff myself. I'd still prefer to get a key for the FG store as well, or somehow link it outside of steam in addition.

damned
December 15th, 2016, 22:14
Everything I've seen says likely launching the 22nd. PCG had an article indicating that, but the quick reply won't let me link it.

I'm planning on buying the ultimate license and getting the D&D basics and stuff myself. I'd still prefer to get a key for the FG store as well, or somehow link it outside of steam in addition.

Most Steam sales are replicated over to here as well so you can buy here or there and you will get a key that works with the install from either site. It is best to restrict your purchases to one site or the other just in case you ever "complete the set" of any particular system - each store only knows about DLC bought from its own store.

sirkerrald
December 15th, 2016, 22:25
Do you recommend purchasing in one place over the other?

JohnD
December 15th, 2016, 22:33
Personally I buy here. Smiteworks doesn't share your $ with Steam so they're getting more from your purchase, which of course supports FG's continued development.

damned
December 15th, 2016, 22:34
Do you recommend purchasing in one place over the other?

I prefer FG website as it is better for the company but if you have all your other games in Steam that might make more sense. If you live outside the US you might get better regional pricing through Steam - some countries have significant pricing breaks (this is a Steam thing). I have a few things bought from both locations (doh!).

LindseyFan
December 15th, 2016, 23:08
My source is saying the 21st at 10 AM EST, and he has a good track record of guessing.

Varsuuk
December 16th, 2016, 00:27
Cool - thanks for the info. Yeah, I wanted to figure out what games I might get the little dude for XMas other than the one I was planning on.
THen, of course, I'll end up buying one or 3 more things from FG, I am sure.

As for where do I recommend to buy? I started on Steam (not even knowing of this forum) but since then switched to SW site only. I feel as they do above, may as well give them full benefit of the money we pay so they thrive as a company. Hey, we spending the same - may as well help ensure health of the company which makes the products we love ;)

LindseyFan
December 16th, 2016, 01:09
With SW matching Steam, the choice is obvious for some. Though those going the Steam route need to remember to rate positively each item the have. It will go a long way to bringing more people to the community. Especially when they see how enthusiastic we are! Go team!!! Rah-Rah and all that.

Varsuuk, if you are looking for goodies for little ones, you should have an especially good time as the winter sale usually has a twist or spin to it. Whatever game they end up running, it always benefits those buying a lot of games. (well duh) But it is often really, really worth it for mid-tier games.

LindseyFan
December 16th, 2016, 07:15
This just in! Steam has just released their "Mysterious Cards" a couple of hours ago! These cards are the precursor to the winter sales. They will turn into actual cards fitting the theme of the winter sale, once it drops. Til then they are numbered. I know for sure you can get them for completing a badge, but their will probably be other sources come sale time (like viewing X things in your queue, posting a screen shot, etc..).

donpaulo
December 16th, 2016, 09:32
I know I will be buying something this year from FG

gqwebb
December 16th, 2016, 22:29
I know I will be buying something this year from FG

Yea! It shall be Merry in deed! Just think of the all day sessions of Fantasy Grounds that are just around the corner

https://25.media.tumblr.com/10bd60d1e36b9da86650a61acd099891/tumblr_mwslex3WJm1rid3fco1_500.gif

Merry Christmas to All!