We have our own paid fantasy grounds clients
Eastern time zone, USA
Available on weekends
Initially looking for something short
Can do voice
Looking to learn D&D 5E
No past experience with tabletop or virtual tabletop rpgs
New to fantasy grounds

Looking for a group to join and learn D&D 5E using fantasy grounds along with my older brother. We've been interested in trying it out for a while. We can play weekends. We are both as new as possible to this, so there isn't much concern for the specifics as long as we can ask questions and make mistakes, maybe an even split between combat and roleplay to learn. He is looking to play a fighter and myself a ranger, but aside from that we aren't sure of anything.

j624
December 15th, 2016, 19:12
Welcome! I'm also looking for a group at the moment, so if you find something that still needs another player, I'm open most days.

Based on my (admittedly limited) experience, though, players tend to have more luck looking for GMs posting looking for players rather than posting an opening themselves, but I could be wrong. Just keep your eyes out for posts looking for players and keep trying. It can sometimes take a while to find a group.

zael
December 15th, 2016, 20:05
Yeah, I think you're right about how posting and finding a group works, but probably won't hurt to make a post while looking. Thanks as well, I will let you know if we find anything!

damned
December 15th, 2016, 22:16
Hey Zael - an intro post is a good thing but in almost all cases you will actually find your game by doing the legwork yourself. Do not worry if it takes even a couple of weeks. RPG games and campaigns take much longer to setup than other online games but they can run for weeks, months or years. Welcome aboard :)

benwest00
December 16th, 2016, 01:08
I would also be interested as well if you get something going. I have Ultimate license and most of the official 5E content. I have been interested in playing for years, but due to work and life, it has not really been feasible for me - though it has not kept me from looking through the 5E modules when I can. I have a small amount of knowledge of the mechanics within FG, so I would also need a learning curve.

I would be available Saturday and Sunday mornings.

License: Ultimate
Voice: Teamspeak?
TimeZone: CST
Game Days: Weekends (Saturday preferred)
Player Experience: One game in FG, 3 months many years ago 3.5E

j624
December 16th, 2016, 01:32
I guess this thread now has four people looking for a GM. :) Unfortunately, they seem to be in short supply compared to the number of players.

As for my details, I am available Saturday mornings or anytime Sunday. I currently have the trial license, but I am willing to upgrade to standard if needed. I've been using Fantasy Grounds since July and only played a little bit of D&D before that. I was previously in a 5E game but left for various reasons. I am currently in a 4E and Pathfinder game and I want to play more 5th edition. My time zone is EST (GMT -5). As for voice, I would prefer to avoid Teamspeak and would recommend Discord.

damned
December 16th, 2016, 02:04
Here is a suggestion - what about each of you agreeing to be the GM for a short adventure or mini-campaign of 2-5 sessions length. There are some excellent Legendary Games and AAW Games adventures in the store from about $3each.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=17&pub=-1&typ=3&search=&sort=1

This would give each of you some good game time and some exposure to the GM role. It is very likely that at the end of the process one (or more) of you would have quite enjoyed the GM role and be willing to take it on for something longer. And I can guarantee that you will find extra players (including other players willing to give the GM role a go) to fill the group up to 4/5/6 players or whatever you are happy with.

Many groups do evolve this way. 3 of you have licenses already. j624 would need a Sub or a Full license (there is also quite likely going to be some sort of sale on outright licenses next week if Steam goes on sale as people expect) as well but you guys could quite easily have yourselves an early Xmas group if you go for it.

j624
December 16th, 2016, 02:14
I would be willing to try that, but fair warning, I've tried it before and my turn at GM did not go well. I am not a good storyteller, even with a module to guide me.

Though maybe if I actually prepared and read the module ahead of time it might go better. The last time I tried we all just kind of gathered at a friend's house and decided then that we would do that. I didn't have access to the module beforehand and didn't know I would need it.

If everyone here is willing to try it, so am I. If we agree to do this, I'll buy a standard license and we can give it a go.

damned
December 16th, 2016, 02:19
It is definitely hard for most people to run a session as GM without warning and without lots of practice.
Reading the module ahead of time is a very good idea.
Setting some player guidelines (like stick to standard classes/races, no multiclassing etc) and expectations (rookie GM, new to FG as well)
Understanding how to use the Combat Tracker is essential - drag PC portraits to CT, drag NPCs to CT, drag tokens from CT to map and only from CT.
The rest of it will be a shared learning experience.
Dont be too hard on the players and players go easy on your rookie GMs - remember you will have a turn in the hot seat and it needs to be fun for players and the GM.

roberth
December 16th, 2016, 07:39
I would be interested in joining depending on the time.

j624
December 17th, 2016, 03:18
Hey, guys. In case you are subscribed to this thread but aren't looking at the forums this exact moment, I'll post this here: Tozzax just posted here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35572-Hoard-of-the-Dragon-Queen-5e)looking for a full group for 5e. He's welcoming new players and is looking to have the first session tomorrow at Noon EST. Since we have a full thread of players here, I figured this would be a quick way to get a full group for his game, if everyone here sees this message.