PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Issue

Draconism
December 13th, 2016, 21:23
Hello everyone, I'm here with a new issue.

This time, when I try to "run test" for connection, it says "FAILURE", it was "SUCCESS" before and I used the program Saturday night last time, with no issue. Is that about a FG issue?

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2016, 21:44
Are you on a wifi system?

If so the most likely cause is that your internal IP address has changed. Check that your router is configured to send your signal to the internal IP shown on the Fantasy Grounds load screen (top right hand corner)

Draconism
December 13th, 2016, 21:54
Are you on a wifi system?

If so the most likely cause is that your internal IP address has changed. Check that your router is configured to send your signal to the internal IP shown on the Fantasy Grounds load screen (top right hand corner)
How could my internal IP address changed? I didn't any change on my PC and modem. I'm using a WiFi modem but using it with an ethernet cable and I'm the only user.

Edit: I checked my internal IP with CMD and it hasn't changed.

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2016, 22:04
If you are using wi-fi it's perfectly possible for the internal IP address to change if for example the router is rebooted or for any number of other reasons. You may be the only user but you may have other devices which use your wifi - for example your phone or tablet or e-reader or anything else that requires a wi-fi connection. Eaxh of those will be allocated an internal IP address which the router sends information to. So, it's not a change that you would make on your computer but rather it's a change that your router makes.

However if you have checked that your router is still sending the signal to the IP address allocated to your PC then that isn't the issue.

Other things to try are making sure that port 1802 is open in you firewall and in any other devices or anything that sits between your computer and your router.

Moon Wizard
December 13th, 2016, 22:12
Yes, check Windows Firewall or any third party security software, sometimes they wake up and block network access to apps for some reason. Also, if you are using any content filters for kids, we have seen them occasionally decide to rewrite URLs which will cause strange update issues as well as connection test failures.

If that doesn't work, then step through:
* Connect via second instance on same machine to "localhost"
* Connect via second computer to local IP address
* Check to see if someone can connect to your external IP or alias

These will tell us at what point access appears to be blocked.

Regards,
JPG

Draconism
December 13th, 2016, 22:19
If you are using wi-fi it's perfectly possible for the internal IP address to change if for example the router is rebooted or for any number of other reasons. You may be the only user but you may have other devices which use your wifi - for example your phone or tablet or e-reader or anything else that requires a wi-fi connection. Eaxh of those will be allocated an internal IP address which the router sends information to. So, it's not a change that you would make on your computer but rather it's a change that your router makes.

However if you have checked that your router is still sending the signal to the IP address allocated to your PC then that isn't the issue.

Other things to try are making sure that port 1802 is open in you firewall and in any other devices or anything that sits between your computer and your router.

Yes, check Windows Firewall or any third party security software, sometimes they wake up and block network access to apps for some reason. Also, if you are using any content filters for kids, we have seen them occasionally decide to rewrite URLs which will cause strange update issues as well as connection test failures.

If that doesn't work, then step through:
* Connect via second instance on same machine to "localhost"
* Connect via second computer to local IP address
* Check to see if someone can connect to your external IP or alias

These will tell us at what point access appears to be blocked.

Regards,
JPG
Thanks a lot both of you! I just re-started my modem and the issue is solved.
The software has weird connection mechanics.

Nylanfs
December 13th, 2016, 23:57
It's because most people aren't having other people connect directly to their computer.