PDA

View Full Version : Varsuuk's Travails in learning to run Savage Worlds

Varsuuk
December 13th, 2016, 04:42
Today's first issue is dragging characters from the "Pregens" to Character Select screen in "Create NPC" mode as a GM.

The first time I dragged from what said "Archetypes", I noticed a combo of sources, Savage Delux, Onesheets, War of the Dead, Eye etc. When I dragged a few, about 4? had portraits shown.

Then when some didn't, I decided to cleanup and start again. This time, selecting Archtypes I chose one from source pulldown and from then, I couldn't get "all/mixed" to show. Fine, switched to WoD. Now ALL dragged dude(ttes) have no portraits.

Any idea what I did. I'm going to try reverting although I didn't - to my knowledge yet do anything. Heck, gonna delete campaign and restart as I am just trying to dry run to learn how to use the FG app with SW (and in general as a DM)

EDIT: On restart, I see "All" as a choice in the Pregens menu - swear wasn't there last time ;)

EDIT2: Yup, poor Bernice, still without Portrait or Token.

(I opened up modules for DM - Savage Rules, Players, WoD 3 books, Tokens: Savage, WoD, Built-in Char pogs and portraits. )

Varsuuk
December 13th, 2016, 04:52
I'll be adding to this thread, I am sure as I go ;)
I read the Savage Ruleset FG manual pdf btw, very informative.

JohnD
December 13th, 2016, 06:54
IMO those WotD pregens still need a bit of work to make playable out of the box.

Varsuuk
December 13th, 2016, 07:31
Aye, I. eat they do - but my thing was that I saw they had Portraits the first time I loaded them (extra note! I was doing it on my macbook... will check PC tomorrow) at least several did. But now, not so much even on a delete and recreate of campaign.

Since didn't know what's up, I just created 4 toons, me, wife, friend and cop friend... figured it's just so can do a few encounters and combats to learn more about SW and in particular running it.

Wish .I could find a WoD to play in est evenings so could learn that way instead, would help me sell my pal on FG/SW prob.

PS: I hope Mario/Elspeth etc gave ya a "hey wassup" that I asked them to pass on when I found the partial game I sat in on had folks who play with you other nights ;)

Ikael
December 13th, 2016, 08:24
Portrait info is not transferred when using pregens. Ie. No portrait is selected when you add pregen to PC selection list.

In your case FG cache must have trigged you to think some had portraits

Ikael
December 13th, 2016, 08:45
After you have added pregens to PC selection list you must manually select portrait for each. Portait info is saved to campaign data which makes it impossible to transfers them via module.

Talyn
December 13th, 2016, 13:07
Was that always the case? I have some old pregens here and the code does specify a portrait but of course, FG today doesn't look at it unfortunately.

Topdecker
December 13th, 2016, 19:27
I've created pre-gens, but I've not been able to make a portrait stay associated with them. When I import the module that I created, I have to relink the portraits. Just mentioning it as something that i have observed - if I were trying to sell my output, I would put in some time to try and resolve it, but it only take a few seconds to relink the portraits (less time than it just took me to discuss it).

Tim

Varsuuk
December 17th, 2016, 08:18
OK ;) next, started going through an adventure with myself (no...not what you think...)

I was in the encounter after setting up mini-char screens and favorite items when I noticed one of the chars has Attractive Edge. Yet, the character still shows Charisma = 0. I tried turning off auto derived stats and I can ctrl-scroll it to 2. Then if I click auto-derived true, it goes back to 0. Did I do something wrong when selecting the Edge?

Umm embarrassingly enough, next thing I gotta do it lookup movement to translate the pace to map distances. Map shows each square is 50x50pixels, I am getting this means a 5' square but need to see how toons move. I read through rules 3 days ago and the FG helper pdf only 2 days ago. And I am still blank. Given, it is 3am for me now.

Mask_of_winter
December 17th, 2016, 08:31
Double-click on Charisma (the box), type in Attractive on the line and add the +2 in the box.

Pace value is the number of grid square you can move in one round. Distance in SW is in inches (as in grid inches)
1" = one square
one square = roughly 2 yards or 6 feet
For ease of use, 1' on the grid is 5 feet.

Ikael
December 17th, 2016, 08:46
You should not be switching "Auto-update Derived Stats" option on and off. Pick one and stick with it. Recommendation is to use ON option. When it's ON you can 1) right click and select bonuses or 2) double-click or 3) middle-mouse click on it to open modifier window where you can define modifiers such as Attractive edge's bonus. Non of the Edge modifiers are automatically applied, this is manual task.

Varsuuk
December 17th, 2016, 08:55
Thanks Mask :)

Yes, I saw now when went on with the combat that when I targeted with Ctrl-click on mob, it said 6" so that works out with what you said, sorry didn't do targeting first.

Speaking of targeting, I did and I used a guy with a "bat" as a weapon. I had targeting setup for parry and I rolled from the Attacks panel (expanded from character Mini panel) and it says:
Fighting 8 (d6 guess aced once)

It doesn't automatically compare against the targeted toon?
It works if I roll on the CT dropping on the mob or if I do it on map, also dropping on the mob. So, what is "autotargetting" for in this case?
I mean, rolling on the target is fine - just trying to understand.

Yup, glad I did this dry run :) I see now that I didn't learn enough from the short time I played (which, I must say was none too glorious as I had my pants around my ankles for most of that encounter... it isn't what it looks like...)

I believe I will be watching a Savage Worlds FG demo video in the morning :) (Recommendations before I check the website?)

Varsuuk
December 17th, 2016, 08:56
Thanks Ikael, ya, I intended to use Auto but when didn't get the edge, I was confused and played with it.

Now that understand the manual mod entry need, I can do that and we good. Thanks.

Mask_of_winter
December 17th, 2016, 09:10
There aren't many on the site. I've got more in my signature.