PDA

View Full Version : How to turn up Fantasy Grounds to 11?

Answulf
December 12th, 2016, 00:17
Hey gang,

I've been using Fantasy Grounds for over 10 years now, but I've always been the kind of guy that just plods along with the basic software and features, but doesn't pay attention to the latest/greatest functionality. Well, I'm finally at the point I'd like to kick things up a notch!

So for those of you who try to squeeze the most out of Fantasy Grounds, what are some of the more advanced things I could be doing that you think really add to the experience? I'm thinking along the lines of advanced macros or features I may not be aware of, using extensions, integrating 3rd party stuff like sound, etc. I'm primarily interested in 5E and Savage Worlds if that makes a difference.

I thought this would be a good question for most GMs though, that I've never really seen discussed in the forums:

Once someone has mastered the basics and can run games comfortably, what should they start looking at next?

Thanks!

dulux-oz
December 12th, 2016, 00:48
You could start by checking out the extra functionality the various DOEs (that's Dulux-Oz Extensions) provide, which include sound. Each one has their own FG Wiki page (under Extensions) and each has their own thread with the Extension, the Extension Manual and a discussion from other users.

OK, so its a Self-Plug, but it doesn't invalidate the usefulness of the information :)

Cheers

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2016, 01:11
I too would recommend DOE: Sound Extension in particular.

But also check out all the CoreRPG and 5E Extensions in the appropriate sticky in the sub-forums.

gqwebb
December 12th, 2016, 02:48
You could start by checking out the extra functionality the various DOEs (that's Dulux-Oz Extensions) provide, which include sound. Each one has their own FG Wiki page (under Extensions) and each has their own thread with the Extension, the Extension Manual and a discussion from other users.

OK, so its a Self-Plug, but it doesn't invalidate the usefulness of the information :)

Cheers

Yes, DOE's are a must at this point for hosting. I like my banana too! thanks

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPCU60mRbtGw7Ys/giphy.gif

Answulf
December 16th, 2016, 03:49
Thanks for the tips guys. Quick question about the DOE: Sound Extension that I couldn't figure out - is it for sound effects, background music or both?

dulux-oz
December 16th, 2016, 04:02
The DOE: Sound is an FG "wrapper" for any 3rd party audio app that can be started / controlled via a URL. Syrinscape is such an app that can do both one-shot sound effects and "mood" music. VLC Media Player is another such audio app that plays mp3 files, etc.

So you can use the DOE: Sound to control (manually and/or automatically) the 3rd party audio app.

The DOE: OLE is a similar Extension aimed at allowing other URL-controlled apps to run, such as pdf files, websites, etc.

Does that answer your question?

Answulf
December 16th, 2016, 04:05
Yes, thanks and sorry for not RTFM yet... :P

JohnD
December 16th, 2016, 04:26
Yes, thanks and sorry for not RTFM yet... :P

https://jaymetate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/notime.jpg

dulux-oz
December 16th, 2016, 04:33
@JohnD - EVERYONE'S got time for that - but only if they actually want to effectively use a piece of software, as oppossed to dicking around with it and maybe - maybe - using 5% of its functionality. :p

No, you're right, and I ain't got time to test my code, either :pirate:

@Ansbach - It's cool - I don't mind answering questions (when I'm in a good mood) and there's the Manual and the Wiki Page (for when I'm not) ;)

Answulf
December 16th, 2016, 04:51
I found this video for anyone else curious about this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPC-U3R38KA