PDA

View Full Version : Slow Responsiveness/Lag Issue

Isklexi
December 11th, 2016, 21:55
I've started to notice an issue while using Fantasy Grounds. The program will start to slow down noticeably sometimes taking several seconds to a minute to respond. I was wondering if anyone had insight into this issue. Here are the specifics of my situation:

I use a Mac and run FG using wineskin.
I'm DM, so I host the game, but the issue arises when I'm prepping for a session too (when no one else is logged in).
It happens for my 4E game but not my 5E game (that I also DM).
This issue started relatively recently (about a month or two ago).

One hypothesis I have is bloated file size. My 4E game has been going on for a few years now. I try to delete old image files, but I'm not sure if there would be any other junk data accumulation somewhere. The 5E game uses a pre-made module (the Curse of Strahd adventure) while my 4E game has to be prepped manually (importing images, creating NPC character sheets, etc.).

JohnD
December 11th, 2016, 22:02
The 4e stuff is pretty massive memory wise I remember reading elsewhere. That's probably your main culprit, but someone else will have to say for sure.

Have you checked your memory usage when this happens? You're probably topping out on ram for the one application.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2016, 22:09
Indeed, there does seem to be issues with large lists and 4e . Some discussion here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35063-FG-crashes-when-opening-large-library-module-(4e-conpendium)) and probably within this threa (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35046-Release-v3-2-1-is-live)d too.

damned
December 11th, 2016, 22:41
Start by comparing your RAM usage at 4e game startup and then later as it starts getting laggy. I believe that with some of the 4e lists if you open and close them they continue to consume RAM...

LindseyFan
December 11th, 2016, 22:45
I use a Mac

Oh there's your problem right there!

Just teasing!!!

Seriously, I asked the "brain" and he said that if you are slowing down hard (but not crashing) in bloated memory, an SSD will help speed up something about swapping that will somehow make it a lot faster. IDK, he basically says get an SSD and you will do better.

Trenloe
December 11th, 2016, 23:01
Seriously, I asked the "brain" and he said that if you are slowing down hard (but not crashing) in bloated memory, an SSD will help speed up something about swapping that will somehow make it a lot faster. IDK, he basically says get an SSD and you will do better.
Unfortunately, unless your computer has very little RAM to start off with, a SSD won't help memory swapping to disk as FG can only use a limited amount of memory anyway as it's a 32-bit application. SSDs can make your computer in general faster, but I don't think in this case it will help the OPs issue much here I'm afraid.

Isklexi
December 11th, 2016, 23:03
I'm in the midst of prepping for a session tonight, so I don't want to spend a bunch of time stopping and restarting the program right this second. Here's what I can see it using right now:

My CPU is using about 35-45% capacity while running a few other programs (adobe for the adventure article and firefox). It does look like FG is using 96-99% of the CPU that the computer will let it.
My memory pressure is holding steady at 10%. FG is using 1.35 GB (compared to firefox's 2.2 GB).

Could wineskin be making virtual ram on the CPU? I'm not entirely well versed in computer science, so I may be completely misusing terms there.

spite
December 11th, 2016, 23:09
I would guess it's not due to being on Mac, as everyone I know that also has this same issue is using a Windows PC.

That's not to say it couldn't be contributing, but I would guess it's in the ruleset/program as it stands.

LindseyFan
December 12th, 2016, 00:25
Unfortunately, unless your computer has very little RAM to start off with, a SSD won't help memory swapping to disk as FG can only use a limited amount of memory anyway as it's a 32-bit application. SSDs can make your computer in general faster, but I don't think in this case it will help the OPs issue much here I'm afraid.

To quote: "that's why it is a memory swapping issue. FG can only use so much memory. Too little RAM and the system crashes. Close on memory and the system tries to compensate."

Anyways, you probably know more than him about how FG works so I will take your word for it and stop asking him for technical jabber. :)

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 00:53
To quote: "that's why it is a memory swapping issue. FG can only use so much memory. Too little RAM and the system crashes. Close on memory and the system tries to compensate."
That's only partly true (and a very confusing statement, to be honest), and only relevant (as I mentioned) if the computer has very little RAM (less than 4GB). If the computer doesn't have much RAM it is much better to buy more RAM than a SSD - fix the issue, don't try to compensate in other ways! :)

Anyway, @Isklexi - don't buy an SSD thinking that might "fix" your issue... ;)

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2016, 01:29
1.35GB shouldn't be a problem if you computer has enough RAM. How much do you have?

Second, on the settings screen of FG, check the setting called "Cross Platform compatibility..." and try toggling that. Though I think you will end up wanting it checked, try it opposite what you currently have it and see if that helps.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 01:44
Second, on the settings screen of FG, check the setting called "Cross Platform compatibility..." and try toggling that.
All that does is force whole screen redraws, which is sometimes needed for running in Wine or similar. I'd be surprised if that helped in any way, as it is working fine with 5E campaigns.

I'm sure this is to do with the amount of data in the 4E library modules and the limited FG memory architecture.

Isklexi
December 12th, 2016, 01:54
RAM shouldn't be an issue. I play WoW on this machine, so it has 16 GB of RAM. I'll try the compatibility checkbox.

edit:
I tested it by opening up the list of player feats. It seized up pretty hard, but when I managed to close the window, the CPU usage dropped back down. Unchecking the compatibility mode may help after all.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 02:02
RAM shouldn't be an issue. I play WoW on this machine, so it has 16 GB of RAM. I'll try the compatibility checkbox.
1) FantasyGrounds.exe is a 32-bit application, so the memory it can use is limited. 2GB on a 32-bit operating system and a bit less than 4GB on a 64-bit operating system. It doesn't matter how much memory your system has, FG is limited and will start to misbehave when memory use gets close to these limits.
2) As you work OK in 5E, I doubt the compatibility checkbox will make any difference. But, hey, give it a try. :)

Are you using 4E library modules produced by Valeros's excellent 4E compendium parser? Quite a few people using 4E have noticed issues with the amount of data these modules provide since moving to FG 3.2.0. In theory, it shouldn't make a difference, but it appears to have made a difference and the devs are still trying to track down the underlying cause.

Isklexi
December 12th, 2016, 02:07
1) FantasyGrounds.exe is a 32-bit application, so the memory it can use is limited. 2GB on a 32-bit operating system and a bit less than 4GB on a 64-bit operating system. It doesn't matter how much memory your system has, FG is limited and will start to misbehave when memory use gets close to these limits.
2) As you work OK in 5E, I doubt the compatibility checkbox will make any difference. But, hey, give it a try. :)

Are you using 4E library modules produced by Valeros's excellent 4E compendium parser? Quite a few people using 4E have noticed issues with the amount of data these modules provide since moving to FG 3.2.0. In theory, it shouldn't make a difference, but it appears to have made a difference and the devs are still trying to track down the underlying cause.
I understand the 32-bit format puts a hard limit on what memory it's allowed to use. I just wanted to clear up that there isn't any other limit on RAM floating around. I did use the 4E compendium parser. I edited my last post to say that unchecking the compatibility box may have helped (CPU usage dropped off after the feat window was closed). It may be a coincidence though. I'd have to run the program for a while to be sure its having an effect.

damned
December 12th, 2016, 03:53
Hi Isklexi FG 3.2.x does have issues with very long lists as you often see in 4e... what you saw is one of the symptoms others are seeing. Some issues were fixed in 3.2.1 but obviously there are still some more issues...

Moon Wizard
December 16th, 2016, 01:07
I just pushed an update to the Test channel, which should help provide a fix for the long list issue. Can someone please try updating to the Test version, and let me know if this fixes?

Note: It won't be any faster than it was pre-v3.2.0, but should be the same.

Regards,
JPG

spite
December 16th, 2016, 03:18
I'll update now and try it out.

spite
December 16th, 2016, 03:30
Just opened all the 3200 feats. Works perfectly no hiccups.

All powers opened, all works no issues.

Opened up all lists, all set to all. Everything opens and memory does not explode. Will leave it running to see if it creeps up over time, but its looking very hopeful!

JohnD
December 16th, 2016, 04:36
I don't use 4e but this looks like a nice resolution to this problem.