PDA

View Full Version : Player can connect and download files, but they do not execute

Kronides
December 11th, 2016, 11:32
Hi guys,

I can't find anything in current forums that describes the problem I have been having tonight (which is probably me not knowing what to call it).

I have Ultimate licence and usually host 4-5 players using the demo. Tonight we connected our regular players, this time I had added a new module so everyone got to do the preload before selecting their characters.
For 1 player this did not work. He would connect, the connection would show at each end, the files would transfer and when the bar hit 100% the transfer would stop but the program would go no further.

Both of us are on Windows 10 pcs. My software is current version. We tried rebooting both machines, we reinstalled on the client computer and started again a number of times. Always we got the same result.
None of the others had any problems at all. Firewall at my (host) end is clear. I realise this is somewhat vague but does anyone else experience this or know a workaround?

Cheers,
Michael

damned
December 11th, 2016, 12:14
Check if the player has read/write/modify permissions on their Data Folder (click the Explorer Icon on the FG splash screen, go up one level, right click Fantasy Grounds, Properties).

Trenloe
December 11th, 2016, 15:54
How big is the module (.mod file size) you're sharing? What ruleset is this for?

Kronides
December 11th, 2016, 23:37
The module I added was Princes of the Apocalypse for 5E. Same player has been playing LMoP with me for the last couple of months so that is the only change other than version updates that came out - but 3 other players have no problem at all :/

damned
December 11th, 2016, 23:54
have that player flush their cache and try again. preferably between now and next game time.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2016, 00:04
this time I had added a new module so everyone got to do the preload before selecting their characters.
Assuming this is the Princes of the Apocalypse you mention. Have you shared this new adventure module with the players? Sharing adventure modules with the players is not recommended - player orientated modules is fine. If this is the case, block player access (drag the red X onto the module/s) and get the player to clear their cache (click the nuke button in the top right of the "Join Game" screen) before joining again.

Kronides
December 13th, 2016, 08:44
OK so read write permissions good because otherwise the files would not save, plus the machine has been used repeatedly to play up till now.

PotA is open as a module but has the red X in the list to prevent player access, the download should only have been preloaded parts.

I have another set of victims to test this on tomorrow night, so will report if there are any more. If it only ever is the 1 person it might be them - PEBKAC error ;)

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2016, 12:05
OK so read write permissions good because otherwise the files would not save, plus the machine has been used repeatedly to play up till now.

PotA is open as a module but has the red X in the list to prevent player access, the download should only have been preloaded parts.

I have another set of victims to test this on tomorrow night, so will report if there are any more. If it only ever is the 1 person it might be them - PEBKAC error ;)

Sorry, I'm confused. In your first post you said you added stuff for the players to download and then in your last post you say you added PotA but not shared. So what exactly did you add that would have been shared with the players since just adding PotA to the campaign at your end would not cause anything to be downloaded by the players.

Nickademus
December 13th, 2016, 12:49
How good of a computer does the player have? One thing I noticed after the update was that the PHB module went to using 400 MB to 1 GB of memory when opened. This has been causing some players problems. In a game I'm in, the GM also had to refresh the campaign because he had been running all of PotA and Lost Mines in the same campaign. That worked for us.

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2016, 13:31
How good of a computer does the player have? One thing I noticed after the update was that the PHB module went to using 400 MB to 1 GB of memory when opened. This has been causing some players problems. In a game I'm in, the GM also had to refresh the campaign because he had been running all of PotA and Lost Mines in the same campaign. That worked for us.

Really? This seems excessive. The entire PHB module is only about 14Mb in size. In my machine FG uses 276Mb of memory with no modules open and with the PHB open it uses 305Mb which is an increase of only about 30Mb or so.

Trenloe
December 13th, 2016, 17:25
Yep, opening the PHB on the player side takes up approx another 1GB of memory. The player side handles module data differently - i.e. stores it all in memory (hence why we say don't share adventure modules with players). The big culprit, I believe, is images. but I'm sure a lot of items and PC creation records in the sidebars will contribute too.

As you say Zacchaeus, the actual module file is not that large, but this only effects the transfer time from the GM to the player. Once that file is uncompressed and then loaded into memory on the PC side it can take up a lot of memory.

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2016, 18:21
Yep, opening the PHB on the player side takes up approx another 1GB of memory. The player side handles module data differently - i.e. stores it all in memory (hence why we say don't share adventure modules with players). The big culprit, I believe, is images. but I'm sure a lot of items and PC creation records in the sidebars will contribute too.

This is today's lesson :)

Teufelhunde87
December 13th, 2016, 18:50
My laptop is an old dog, when I have issues, clearing the cache works.

Kronides
December 13th, 2016, 21:19

This is exactly what I am doing, so will try separating. Thanks.