PDA

View Full Version : Laptop and desktop, licenses?

wardoghavoc
December 10th, 2016, 03:27
Question for the community. I want to prepare content, encounters and adventures on my desktop PC. Let's assume i have an ultimate license. Once i am done i would like to actually run the game from my laptop. Can FG handle that? What kind of license setup am i looking at?

damned
December 10th, 2016, 03:31
Same license on both computers - just dont use them at the same time.
The developers have stated that this is an acceptable use of the product.

wardoghavoc
December 10th, 2016, 03:47
Thanks Damned. That solves the license question. How would i get the content i create on my desktop to my laptop? Please know that i am a complete newb and am looking to purchase FG for Xmas.

Mortar
December 10th, 2016, 03:50
Transfering created content with a usb drive works best.

LindseyFan
December 10th, 2016, 04:53
Thanks Damned. That solves the license question. How would i get the content i create on my desktop to my laptop? Please know that i am a complete newb and am looking to purchase FG for Xmas.

First of all, best Xmas present ever! (I know as it was mine.)

The use of a USB drive is a good one as mentioned. You can also share the files (and directories) across your home network if you are using Windows. Just don't use OneDrive as a way to share them as that counts as a cloud service (in a way) and can corrupt your campaign.

damned
December 10th, 2016, 06:00
To clarify - you can share your files via onedrive/google/dropbox but dont use that as your actual data folder path as corruptions can occur when the cloud drive is doing a sync at the same time as FG is doing a save.
Just copy the campaign folder over to the transfer drive (be it thumb drive or cloud drive) and then copy it again. There are tools that can help you do this so you dont forget or mess it up but either way its not too complex.
FG is different to say roll20 where roll20 stores all your content on their servers - here it is always stored on your local computer. This means you shoudl back it up periodically but you have full control of your data.