PDA

View Full Version : *New Magic Item That All Creatures Can Use* - Spell Grenade

jajen2003
December 9th, 2016, 17:35
Spell Stone
Gemstone, varies

"Long ago, an ancient kingdom commissioned its highest mages and clerics to develop a weapon that would tip the tides of war in their favor. Something so powerful yet so simple, even the infantry and medics could use it. Say hello, to the spell stone." — Arvius Stonard, 1st Captain of the Emerald Cove Royal Guard

A spell stone is a small precious gemstone, empowered with a spell, bearing the mark of a rune or symbol. The rune or symbol in the stone, corresponds to the appropriate source of magic of the spell within the gemstone.

The spell within reveals itself only to spellcasters who study the same school of magic or are associated with the same magical source the spell is derived from. Spellcasters trained in Arcana, Religion or Nature can make a respective check (DC 13 + the spell's level) to attempt to learn what spell the gemstone is empowered with.

The range of any spell contained within the spell stone is changed to 20-foot sphere, regardless of the spell's original range. The spell does not require verbal, somatic, material components or concentration and lasts its maximum possible duration. If the spell would normally require specific input from the caster, that responsibility is then transferred to the DM. If the spell would normally require the caster to target itself, specific creatures or objects, the spell indiscriminately and randomly targets the maximum amount of appropriate creatures or objects allowed by the spell within range, starting from the point of origin and moving outward. If a target is unwilling to accept an effect imposed by the spell, and the spell allows for a saving throw to resist, the spell save DC is 13 + the spell's level.

As an action, a creature can make a ranged attack (range 30/60) throwing the spell stone to a point within range. On impact the spell stone detonates, destroying the gemstone and triggers the effects of the spell in a 20-foot sphere.

If this is impossible, a massive burst of force damage explodes from the point of impact. All creatures within a 20-foot sphere must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw (DC 13 + the spell's level). A creature takes 1d10 force damage per level of the spell on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one. As part of this force damage, unsecured objects even partially within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from the spell's point of origin. If the spell was a cantrip, it causes 1 force damage instead of 1d10, and unsecured objects stay in place.

Crafting Spell Stones
The art of crafting spell stones, although not uncommon, is mentally draining and exhaustive work. Only the wisest of magic wielders know how to perform this delicate and intricate process. Spellcasters proficient with Jeweler's Tools and who have an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 16 or higher, can craft spell stones. To craft a spell stone requires a precious gemstone worth at least 10 gp or more and a spell scroll the crafter can read and cast from. The process takes 8 hours and consumes the gem's value in resources and the spell scroll; after which the gem is then empowered with the spell from the scroll used. Once created, the stone bears a mark designating its source of magic, but does not denote or hint at the nature of the spell itself. If the spell on the scroll being used is higher level than what the crafter could normally cast, the crafter must make an ability check at the end of the 8 hours, using the appropriate spellcasting ability to make sure the spell is transferred into the gemstone properly. The DC equals 13 + the spell's level. On a failed check, the spell scroll and the gemstone are destroyed and the resources consumed.

A gemstone worth at least...
can hold a...
Rarity
Approx. Cost

10 gp
cantrip
Common
50-100 gp

50 gp
2nd-level spell or lower
Uncommon
101-500 gp

100 gp
4th-level spell or lower
Rare
501-5,000 gp

500 gp
6th-level spell or lower
Very rare
5,001-50,000 gp

1,000 gp
8th-level spell or lower
Very rare
5,001-50,000 gp

5,000 gp
9th-level spell or lower
Legendary
50,001+ gp

Potential Uses

Doesn't expend a spell slot
Can be thrown by anyone (it's just spellcasters who can identify the spell)
You can ready an action to use this item and NOT use up a spell slot if the readied action never triggers
Can be empowered with touch healing spells for AOE delivery
Don't empower it with fireball and then accidentally drop it.
Makes gemstones worth more than just loot.
As written, a monk's Deflect Missles would not work to catch the spell stone, as it detonates on impact—but I think clever players and DMs could have fun tinkering with the rules on this one. #SleightOfHandChecks
NPCs or PCs could steal a whole grip of these things and throw the whole lot into an area all at once. :cry:
If you're the only potential target for a spell, the spell will target you. :D
A spell stone of cure wounds effectively becomes a force damage grenade when thrown at a group of undead or constructs.
A spell stone of animate dead becomes a quick battle rez for any fallen companion or foe.

Please try out the magic item and add to the Potential Uses in the thread. :D

Gwydion
December 9th, 2016, 19:00
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2016, 19:19
Well, for a start, it should be renamed the Holy Hand Grenade :D

LordEntrails
December 9th, 2016, 21:56
I'm just going from memory, but they seem much less expensive and much more versatile than scrolls or potions for the same level spells. In my campaigns, I would probably make sure they were at least twice as expensive as a comparable scroll or potions.

Thanks for sharing.

jajen2003
December 9th, 2016, 21:59
I'm just going from memory, but they seem much less expensive and much more versatile than scrolls or potions for the same level spells. In my campaigns, I would probably make sure they were at least twice as expensive as a comparable scroll or potions.

Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure.

Inexpensive? Really? They're just as expensive to buy as scrolls and even more expensive to make since you need the gemstone, the gem's value in resources and the relevant spell scroll.

Prices of magic items are based on rarity. So I matched the rarity of the respective scrolls.

P. 135 in the DMG is a good table to establish prices.

So a spell stone of cantrip alone is 50-100 gp.

A spell stone of cure wounds is 101-500 gp.

I find them to be priced appropriately. But yeah, double the costs! Make them your own. :D

They are good money makers if you can find scrolls and gems to craft them yourself and then sell them. But that doesn't sound like much fun.

BDaniel
December 10th, 2016, 19:24
Well, for a start, it should be renamed the Holy Hand Grenade :D

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

LordEntrails
December 11th, 2016, 01:39
Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

I HOPE you didn't type that from memory *G*

BDaniel
December 11th, 2016, 02:52
I would love to say I did but alas I did not but I almost could. I love the Holy Grail. It has to be one of the all time funniest movies, a timeless classic.

LordEntrails
December 11th, 2016, 05:25
African or European?

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2016, 09:42
I stickied this btw.

jajen2003
December 11th, 2016, 15:01
I stickied this btw.

Oh, no ****. Cool. Thanks, Z. :D

Davinci522
July 28th, 2018, 15:23
Do you mind if I turn this into a FG module for others to download?