PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana Module

Pages : [1] 2

Nickademus
December 9th, 2016, 02:53
Update: Recent changes in the industry has made an FG module of previous UA articles no longer available.

Click here for information on Smitework's Unearthed Arcana module. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EUA)

maugrim8866
December 9th, 2016, 05:12
Nice
I love this!

but where where you last week when I was Parsing my own Revised Ranger ;)

tsemana
December 9th, 2016, 09:09
Based on the discussions in few threads, I've decided to provide this for the community. It will be a Work in Progress until I have all the article content within, then I'll update it each time a new article comes out. I hope you all enjoy it; let me know here if you find any bugs.

Unearthed Arcane for Fantasy Ground now available on the DMsG (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/200210/Unearthed-Arcana-FG-Module?src=newest_community&filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0)

Awesome! Having asked specifically if I could post my own I was advised by OneBookShelf that it would be against SmiteWorks/WotC license. I guess there's no issue since if you can post it as SmiteWorks!

FYI - Pulled it down and, I can see the class in the Library view, but I'm not able to see it in the classes selection window and Unearthed Arcana is not listed in the Group list at the top.

Found it: doing a find-and-replace for `reference.classes` with `reference.classdata` lets the class appear Classes toolbar list and maintains all the existing links.

Nickademus
December 9th, 2016, 21:24
To be honest, I never intended for the assets to be found in the sidebar-button lists. Those are new and I didn't even think of them. I'll probably change the categories back to the defaults, since that seems to be what FG actually looks for.

Thegroo
December 10th, 2016, 02:13
Thank you so much

tsemana
December 10th, 2016, 02:44
To be honest, I never intended for the assets to be found in the sidebar-button lists. Those are new and I didn't even think of them. I'll probably change the categories back to the defaults, since that seems to be what FG actually looks for.

:thumbsup: It's a great job. I've learned alot unpacking it :P
Do you create it straight to xml from your template? Looks like you're already setup the placeholders as comments so I'm thinking so. I'm new to this, but I'm playing with Scrivener as my content editor and figuring out either how to pipe the one doc into different output templates - ie. for PDF and for .mod or if need be pipe it to an external tool like PAR5E.

Nickademus
December 10th, 2016, 04:26
The template is xml. I just copy/paste the parts I need to make the framework then copy/paste the data overwriting the placeholders. I use (and highly recommend) Notepad++ for working with xml. It has features like hotkey section collapsing and Find in Files.

tsemana
December 10th, 2016, 05:02
Yeah, I used VSCode for the xml and the PAR5E files myself. But I found that I ended up using the Pages DMsGuild template and copy-pasting the PAR5E content so that I can have a PDF version as well... I want to have a type-once-generate-for-everywhere kinda workflow.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 11th, 2016, 05:45
this is incredible, nice work!

Varsuuk
December 11th, 2016, 07:42
Yeah, I used VSCode for the xml and the PAR5E files myself. But I found that I ended up using the Pages DMsGuild template and copy-pasting the PAR5E content so that I can have a PDF version as well... I want to have a type-once-generate-for-everywhere kinda workflow.

Hey Tsemana, could you elaborate on the Pages template (I assume you mean the Mac / iOS templates?) and how you combined this with PAR5Eing? It's late, so maybe I'm just fuzzy ;) didn't get what you meant.

kp9911
December 11th, 2016, 07:44
Pages also relates to a setting of the reference section in the new version of how the modules can be displayed. Is it that.

tsemana
December 11th, 2016, 15:13
Hey Tsemana, could you elaborate on the Pages template (I assume you mean the Mac / iOS templates?) and how you combined this with PAR5Eing? It's late, so maybe I'm just fuzzy ;) didn't get what you meant.

Sorry, that's my fault. You"re right; I meant the DmsGuild Template for the Pages program for Mac.
I should have been more clear. I had started using vscode to create the .txt files needed to PAR5E a class for FG. Then quickly transitioned to making a home brew class based on that module.

I was happy with the results so my next thought was to see what it would take to publish it on the DMsGuild.. but I wanted to provide a PDF version as well as the FG module, so I ended up copy-pasting my .txt files into the Pages template.

Now, every time I make a revision I have make it in 2 places and that's a pain point, so I want to be able to do something like this:

1. Change the class in 1 program (aright now That's Scrivener, because I already use it), and with a command:
2. Export the content to the appropriate .txt files for PAR5E'ing
3. Export the content to format appropriate for PDF

Step 3 is handled by scrivener, so I need to play with the output to see about creating the separate .txt files automatically

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2016, 01:49

Now, every time I make a revision I have make it in 2 places and that's a pain point, so I want to be able to do something like this:

1. Change the class in 1 program (aright now That's Scrivener, because I already use it), and with a command:
2. Export the content to the appropriate .txt files for PAR5E'ing
3. Export the content to format appropriate for PDF

This is basically the same reason I'm looking for a way to send FG XML into Word/PDF XML styled format. See this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35298-FG-Module-XML-to-Formatted-Text

tsemana
December 12th, 2016, 03:37
This is basically the same reason I'm looking for a way to send FG XML into Word/PDF XML styled format. See this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35298-FG-Module-XML-to-Formatted-Text

Yes, I saw that thread and found it promising. The only difference in the use case is that I'm looking to develop the content first and then send to FG and PDF rather than step through the FG to get to the PDF. Good luck in your research!

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2016, 04:13
Yes, I saw that thread and found it promising. The only difference in the use case is that I'm looking to develop the content first and then send to FG and PDF rather than step through the FG to get to the PDF. Good luck in your research!
I've talked some with kp9911 and he's taking a look at it. I'm hoping that once we figure out a couple of these, we'll be able to incorporate it all into one tool we can all use to get data between all three/four formats (text, FG, Word, & maybe PDF).

Nickademus
December 13th, 2016, 00:03
Version 1.1 is live. All the recent new class specialization options are now available. (Yes, this includes the druid.)

gqwebb
December 13th, 2016, 00:36
Cool Thanks for sharing

https://68.media.tumblr.com/5bb51a62de74b861dd84c62f8c8ca222/tumblr_n7yp3kEqUV1tfa8pto1_500.gif

Thegroo
December 13th, 2016, 01:26
thank you so much

marcusrife
December 13th, 2016, 05:07
Will you add some older Unearthed Arcana material? For example the Favored Soul, Kits of Old, or The Faithful etc.

rob2e
December 13th, 2016, 07:08
Version 1.1 is live. All the recent new class specialization options are now available. (Yes, this includes the druid.)

Nickademus. God among men.

Nickademus
December 13th, 2016, 07:15
Will you add some older Unearthed Arcana material? For example the Favored Soul, Kits of Old, or The Faithful etc.

Kits of Old are scheduled for the next update. The others will come in time.

Myrdin Potter
December 13th, 2016, 14:10
And every week something new for a little while. Monks just happened and the articles are still rolling. I expect there will be a bunch of tweaks for the final version as they have not designed for multi-class very well and a couple wording errors that have come up as well.

kp9911
December 13th, 2016, 14:45
I assume its going to be condensed and put into another source book.

kalmarjan
December 13th, 2016, 15:20
Great work! I was just about to convert this, and you saved me the trouble!

Nickademus
December 13th, 2016, 22:06
Quick update to add the new monk traditions.

jojogladco
December 14th, 2016, 17:51
Thanks for the work you put in on this. Looking forward to my group playtesting some of these items now.

Nickademus
December 19th, 2016, 06:40
Update. New races, feats, spells and class specializations.

kp9911
December 19th, 2016, 17:54
So about the paladin oaths :D

Nickademus
December 19th, 2016, 18:54
They were on the WotC site, but the link was dead. Now they are gone. I think they weren't supposed to be shown until tomorrow (since there was no file attached).

Myrdin Potter
December 19th, 2016, 19:02
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths

Link works for me.

Nickademus
December 20th, 2016, 13:42
I'm seriously considering breaking up multifeatures into their composite subfeatures (such as Fighting Style) using the embedded link method seen in the Fighter Arcane Archer's Arcane Arrow feature. The subfeatuers wouldn't automatically add to the character sheet or prompt a window asking for a choice like the specializations and skill choices do (though I think this could be possible with a handful of lines of code if Smiteworks wanted to implement it). But at least they would be individual entries in the feature list for quick reference and showing which choices were made. Currently I place empty braces ('[]') at the end of the feature's name for typing the choices, but I think subfeatures would be better.

What do you guys/gals think?

rob2e
December 20th, 2016, 18:46
I'm seriously considering breaking up multifeatures into their composite subfeatures (such as Fighting Style) using the embedded link method seen in the Fighter Arcane Archer's Arcane Arrow feature. The subfeatuers wouldn't automatically add to the character sheet or prompt a window asking for a choice like the specializations and skill choices do (though I think this could be possible with a handful of lines of code if Smiteworks wanted to implement it). But at least they would be individual entries in the feature list for quick reference and showing which choices were made. Currently I place empty braces ('[]') at the end of the feature's name for typing the choices, but I think subfeatures would be better.

Sounds like a good addition. Thumbs up!

Thegroo
December 21st, 2016, 01:33
Subfeatures would be great

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 04:13
I'm a little confused with what embedded links you're gonna use. I had tried the same with using them via the reference section of the module, but I was bamboozled since I could not drag drop it from there into the class features list of the charachter sheet.

Nickademus
December 21st, 2016, 04:32
Works for me. Add three levels of fighter from the UA module and choose Arcane Archer. Then open the Arcane Arrow ability and drag two of the Arcane Shot arrow types to your character sheet. It adds them to your feature list.

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 04:34
Ah in that way sounds good then! May I know where you are going to generate the arrow features, would it be in the feature list or is it in some other section.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 21st, 2016, 04:36

Yes please...

very nice work, thanks!

Nickademus
December 21st, 2016, 04:45
Ah in that way sounds good then! May I know where you are going to generate the arrow features, would it be in the feature list or is it in some other section.

It's late; I'm tired. Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly. I've already made the arrow features. They are in the version that is on the DMsG now. They are features in the feature section, just like all the features. Not sure what you mean by 'generate' as they are pre-made and not created during use. Maybe I'll understand better after getting some sleep.

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 05:22
It's late; I'm tired. Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly. I've already made the arrow features. They are in the version that is on the DMsG now. They are features in the feature section, just like all the features. Not sure what you mean by 'generate' as they are pre-made and not created during use. Maybe I'll understand better after getting some sleep.

Haha no worries I'll have a look at the mod XML to get my answer. :)

Nickademus
December 21st, 2016, 11:03
I think the answer you are looking for is: they are in the list of feature but set to Level 0 so that they never automatically add to the character sheet. Then they can be manually added from their links in the Arcane Arrow ability that is set to Level 3 and added with the archetype.

kp9911
December 21st, 2016, 13:01
Ah spot on I was wondering if you had used a zero level thanks for the confirmation. I think fg should take this up once they have the time.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2016, 03:11
New update. All the classes now have a class option, as well as some design articles.

Almost caught up.

Kanbie
December 25th, 2016, 16:34
this is such a good Christmas gift, thank you Nickademus. If you wouldn't mind could you screenshot yourself doing par5e, things I'm interested in is how you markup the data and just general workflow.

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2016, 20:23
this is such a good Christmas gift, thank you Nickademus. If you wouldn't mind could you screenshot yourself doing par5e, things I'm interested in is how you markup the data and just general workflow.

Nickademus doesn't use par5e. He does all his coding in XML.

Xorn's video (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21964-PAR5E-Tutorial) on how to use par5e is as good a resource as it gets if you want to see par5e in action.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2016, 21:24
General workflow.... Um.

*copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *eat some food* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *check for bugs* *check for errors* *sleep a little*

*repeat*

Nickademus
December 25th, 2016, 21:34
Actually, there are some things I do that could be good practices for other people. Whether working with PAR5E or xml, there is a lot of copy and pasting done when repeating assets.

Before I touch the xml files, I type up a brief sort of outline using the xml element names. Xml has a few restrictions (such as no space, no starting with a number, etc.) so the elements are a single string of words mashed together. It's easy to typo these when using them multiple times. So I use a small WordPad file to hold the master element names and everywhere I need to place it in the code, I copy/paste from WordPad. That way if I typo in one place, I typo in all the places and the code still works (since the code only needs the opening and closing element names to be identical, not properly spelled).

For example, here is the outline for the next update. I think through what game assets and reference manual entries I will need as I type up the elements. This means by the time I start actually working on the code, I have a good idea of what I'm making and in what order. Prep work always helps coding.

Prestige Classes and Rune Magic 10/05/15
- by Mike Mearls
UArunescribeclass
masterrunes
prestigedev
runemagic

UArunescribe

opaloftheildrune
orbofthesteinrune
pennantofthevindrune
shardofthekaltrune

Ranger 09/09/15
- by Mike Mearls
rangeroriginal

Variant Rules 06/08/15
- by Mike Mearls
variantrules

Waterborne Adventures 05/04/15
- by Mike Mearls
UAminotaurrace
waterbornedev
waterbornefightingstyle
swashbuckleroriginal
stormoriginoriginal

Fighting Style:
mariner

UAminotaur

Now that I look at it, I still need to list the minotaur's racial traits and the runescribes class features. The work is done in layers, like an onion, but it is easier to do similar tasks all at once even if it means working on multiple parts at once. Checklists help too.

Nylanfs
December 26th, 2016, 00:32
General workflow.... Um.

*copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *eat some food* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *check for bugs* *check for errors* *sleep a little*

*repeat*

You forgot refilling your cup from the Dispenser of Wakefulness (https://www.labrada.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/coffee-pot-302x302.jpg).

Necrolepsey
December 26th, 2016, 05:59
Is there a good way to go about the Mystic from UA? I am using par5e my first time and got to the spells(talents and disciplines) and I'm not sure of a good way to continue. It seems awfully different from other casters (no surprise there I guess) but I don't know if I can make it work.

Varsuuk
December 26th, 2016, 08:26
Merry Christmas & thank you Nickademus, hope you had a great day :)

Nickademus
December 26th, 2016, 14:15
Merry Christmas & thank you Nickademus, hope you had a great day :)
I don't celebrate christmas, but thanks. I hope to have a good day (off work) too; should finish the next update.

Is there a good way to go about the Mystic from UA? I am using par5e my first time and got to the spells(talents and disciplines) and I'm not sure of a good way to continue. It seems awfully different from other casters (no surprise there I guess) but I don't know if I can make it work.

I haven't looked at the psion, er mystic, yet but I imagine it is designed differently from the other classes. PAR5E might not be programmed to handle the structure of the class. The mystic articles will be in the next batch after the current update is finished, so I'll see what I can do there. It might be a case of FG not being able to properly auto-parse the class upon drag and drop, but all the features should still be able to be manually drug to the character sheet.

Varsuuk
December 27th, 2016, 06:10
EDIT: I SHOULD have looked at the first page ;) I see it is likely fixed in 1.4 ;) Carry on!

Hey Nickademus - I have the UA.mod, I downloaded again on 12/26 (251kb) and for the "The Ranger, Revised Class" section, there is no data in the Reference section when you click on it. There was for the one above "Developer Notes." Also, I'd have to look at the UA articles but I think Ranger was in them more than once. And there is a "Ranger, No Spells" in the class choices in Campaign section.

I'm not up to using UA things yet ;) I was just clicking through the ref book to check on status.
Prob just still on ToDo, but figure mention in case wasn't noticed.

Regards,
Varsuuk

Nickademus
December 27th, 2016, 15:05
Yeah, the reference manual started acting up when I switched to a naming convention that wouldn't conflict with other sources. It's all been fixed in the new update. I'd push a hotfix, but the update has maybe an hour's worth of work to be finished, so I'll just plow through and update.

There are four ranger sections in the UA articles: the ranger playtest, the new archetype Deep Stalker, the alternate ranger with no spells, and the revised ranger including the Deep Stalker archetype (now named conclave). Only the Revised Ranger and a conversion of the Ranger with No Spell using the revised ranger are in the game assets and class list, but the articles section lists all the different sources of ranger for referencing past iterations.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2016, 16:49
New update. Only a few left to do.

I will be tackling the psionics in the next update so I have no idea how long it will take. Most of the other good stuff should be available now though.

rob2e
December 27th, 2016, 16:58
General workflow.... Um.

*repeat*

You forgot **yell and scream* *curse all that is "programming"* *yell and scream*

*repeat*

Or is that just me?!

:)

rob2e
December 27th, 2016, 16:59
New update. Only a few left to do.

I will be tackling the psionics in the next update so I have no idea how long it will take. Most of the other good stuff should be available now though.

Once again, fantastic work Nick!!!

PTBBC.ORG
December 27th, 2016, 19:37
The Spells section now shows Sorcerer and Wizard, but open the exact same spell list, what happened to the Wall of Water for the Wizard? I think that's what it was right? Both now just have the conjure spells. Nevermind.. I'm an idiot... to many different modules open. That's from Volo's. My bad. Keep up the great work!!!

Necrolepsey
December 28th, 2016, 08:23
I don't celebrate christmas, but thanks. I hope to have a good day (off work) too; should finish the next update.

I haven't looked at the psion, er mystic, yet but I imagine it is designed differently from the other classes. PAR5E might not be programmed to handle the structure of the class. The mystic articles will be in the next batch after the current update is finished, so I'll see what I can do there. It might be a case of FG not being able to properly auto-parse the class upon drag and drop, but all the features should still be able to be manually drug to the character sheet.

Oh yeah the features were fine, but then I hit the spells and remembered it's not even remotely structured the same as other casters. Thanks for the work you are doing. Makes me want to learn XML to be able to get some of the weirder homebrew classes in my game.

Nickademus
December 28th, 2016, 11:08
Did up the mystic last night before my game. It wasn't that hard. The psionics won't auto-parse like spellcasting, but a single power each in the POWERS section can track psi points and psi focus. A person would have to be familiar with effects and the action tab to make it run smoothly, but then they could also just keep the psionics data in a note and do things manually.

Necrolepsey
December 28th, 2016, 11:56
... a single power each in the POWERS section can track psi points and psi focus.

I umm... wut? At any rate, can't wait to check it out.

Morgentaler
December 29th, 2016, 00:00
Spent the better part of the day trying to PAR5E the UA ranger to no avail couldn't find my error's. And then I find this. Great work! And thank you.

Nickademus
December 29th, 2016, 00:21
Glad you find it useful.

Some people enjoy PAR5E; some people don't. I didn't really have any issues with it the few times I've used it, but it's of course nice to have someone else do the work for you. ;)

DrakosDJ
December 30th, 2016, 04:18
Based on the discussions in few threads, I've decided to provide this for the community. It will be a Work in Progress until I have all the article content within, then I'll update it each time a new article comes out. I hope you all enjoy it; let me know here if you find any bugs.

Click here to get the Unearthed Arcane for Fantasy Ground now available on the DMsG (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/200210/Unearthed-Arcana-FG-Module?src=newest_community&filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0)

Updates
Version 1.5 ** under construction **

[Articles] Awakened Mystic, Psionics and the Mystic, Modern Magic, When Armies Clash, Eberron (setting neutral).

Ok, I downloaded the mod but I don't see the Eberron stuff, am I missing it somewhere?

Nickademus
December 30th, 2016, 11:08
Version 1.5 is ** under construction**

DrakosDJ
December 31st, 2016, 03:19
Ah, ok. I thought that it was out sorry.

Nickademus
January 1st, 2017, 00:41
New update. All the back issues included! Enjoy.

Thegroo
January 1st, 2017, 02:27
Many Thanks and a happy new year

Nickademus
January 1st, 2017, 03:46
I took a break from coding to play a video game. Very happy new year indeed.

DMistress
January 1st, 2017, 22:38
Hi one and all....I apologize but I am very new to this and I downloaded the Unearthed Arcana....While I am not a newbie to computers I sometimes need things listed step by step, would you mind helping me out so I can use this module? I moved the downloaded files to the Fantasy Grounds folder but when I run the updater I cannot find the module. I am certain I am doing something wrong and would love some direction if you please?

Moon Wizard
January 1st, 2017, 22:43
To install a module, just place the module .MOD file into the modules subfolder of the FG data folder. The FG data folder can be accessed by using the folder button in the upper right corner of the FG launch screen.

Regards,
JPG

Myrdin Potter
January 1st, 2017, 22:49
And this is not a file from the Smiteworks store so it will not be updated via the updater. If you need to update (and there are more UA classes still coming) you will have to do it manually (rename the old file and copy the new one in)

Trenloe
January 1st, 2017, 23:34
Further info on installing modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Modules

Nickademus
January 2nd, 2017, 00:01
Hi one and all....I apologize but I am very new to this and I downloaded the Unearthed Arcana....While I am not a newbie to computers I sometimes need things listed step by step, would you mind helping me out so I can use this module? I moved the downloaded files to the Fantasy Grounds folder but when I run the updater I cannot find the module. I am certain I am doing something wrong and would love some direction if you please?

A person asked this very question in the comments on the DMsG page for the module. I went through step-by-step instructions to get the module working. If that process doesn't work for you, please let us know.

DMistress
January 2nd, 2017, 00:56
I must have overlooked it! Thanks Nickademus!

epithet
January 7th, 2017, 18:53
Do you have any plans to include the "Plane Shift Zendikar" material?

Nickademus
January 7th, 2017, 20:23
That material is not part of the Unearthed Arcana articles, so I would not be putting it in this module. I'd have to look into the legals to see who has the rights to reproduce that in FG. I know that it can't be hosted on the DMsG because it is of a campaign setting other than Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft. Depending on if the content includes non-SRD material, it might not be able to be reproduced by anyone by WotC.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2017, 03:29
Do you have any plans to include the "Plane Shift Zendikar" material?

Upon looking into the legals, the Plane Shift Zendikar falls under the Smiteworks license, and thus will be handled by them.

kp9911
January 9th, 2017, 19:09
Welp we officially have the artifactor in UA. Rejoice alchemists and gun slingers.

rob2e
January 9th, 2017, 19:14
It seems with the UA Ranger it gives you Fighting Style at 1st level, is that a mistake, or does the revised ranger in fact get that at 1st (normally second)?

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 19:54
It seems with the UA Ranger it gives you Fighting Style at 1st level, is that a mistake, or does the revised ranger in fact get that at 1st (normally second)?

It is a bug. And it is fixed in version 2.0, which will include the new Artificer article released today.

Thanks.

rob2e
January 9th, 2017, 20:39
It is a bug. And it is fixed in version 2.0, which will include the new Artificer article released today.

Thanks.

Cool, awesome! I was busted by my DM for trying to cheat. Ha! I was ign'ant!

Nickademus
January 9th, 2017, 22:12
Cool, awesome! I was busted by my DM for trying to cheat. Ha! I was ign'ant!

You gotta fight back against those DM's. Power to the people!

Oh, and new update. I already love artificer. It's always been one of my favorite classes, but now it has the flavor of either the PF alchemist or a gunner.

spite
January 10th, 2017, 01:23
Awesome work!
That is so damned fast.

Nickademus
January 16th, 2017, 20:17
New update, Rangers & Rogues.

Qoff
January 19th, 2017, 23:34
I'm getting failed download everytime in both links, can it be uploaded here please?

Nevermind, it just worked.

Nickademus
January 20th, 2017, 00:57
Glad it worked. Though I should note it is not possible to upload the module to any other site other than the Dungeon Masters Guild (for legal reasons).

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 14:09
Whatever setup OBS is using to serve files is atrocious. I run into issues like that all the time on the Dungeon Masters Guild, RPGNow, and DriveThruRPG. Not to mention their PDF watermarking process hangs about 3/4 of the time. I've opened several tickets with their support but they never offer any meaningful insight.

Nylanfs
January 20th, 2017, 14:35
Note that there is a publisher option to turn off the watermark. :)

Nickademus
January 20th, 2017, 16:02
Note that there is a publisher option to turn off the watermark. :)

I scoured the options, but I don't see any way to change this. It might have something to do with the fact that the DMsG accounts aren't publisher accounts; they might be missing some options. In fact, I know they are missing some options because I can't set myself as the publisher or set the publisher's homepage (both are the DMsG itself).

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2017, 16:21
One thing I have found is that their are different download engines depending upon how you get to the download link. I do find, when you have the option, that the "Use Legacy" downloader is less error prone. Also, if you go to "My Library" and then to the product homepage their will be a list of downloadable files, and those seem to work reliable.

Nylanfs
January 20th, 2017, 17:12
Hmm, might be a DTRPG/RPGNow setting.

Publishers that don't watermark their books on DriveThruRPG should get a better percentage, because we use fewer resources.

Or DriveThru could just charge publishers to watermark.

*halo*

James Dawsey Could we also get a way to change the default setting to not-watermarked? Because sometimes I forget to tick that checkbox and have to go back in and modify things and re-upload...

Adam Jury You shouldn't have to re-upload to fix that. Just change and save the settings.

https://www.facebook.com/adamjury/posts/10154584024528793?match=ZHJpdmV0aHJ1cnBnLHdhdGVybW Fyaw%3D%3D

Thegroo
January 21st, 2017, 17:04
Hi Nickademus

Using the FG5EParser i'm trying to link to Fighter Martial Archtypes

#zal;fighter_ability;Eldritch Knight;*;Eldritch Knight
#zal;fighter_ability;Archfighter;*;Archfighter
#zal;fighter_ability;Elite mercenary;*;Elite Mercenary
#zal;fighter_ability;Arcane Archer;*;Arcane Archer
#zal;fighter_ability;Knight;*;Knight
#zal;fighter_ability;Samurai;*;Samurai

This is working for all Archtypes but the ones in the 'Unearthed Arcana'.
Can you imagine why?

And thanks again for your great work

kp9911
January 21st, 2017, 20:09
Most likely the skills have index numbers like 001 instead of the names, check the mod xml of Nick's work, you'll probably see what you need to link.

Nickademus
January 21st, 2017, 20:31
Hi Nickademus

Using the FG5EParser i'm trying to link to Fighter Martial Archtypes

#zal;fighter_ability;Eldritch Knight;*;Eldritch Knight
#zal;fighter_ability;Archfighter;*;Archfighter
#zal;fighter_ability;Elite mercenary;*;Elite Mercenary
#zal;fighter_ability;Arcane Archer;*;Arcane Archer
#zal;fighter_ability;Knight;*;Knight
#zal;fighter_ability;Samurai;*;Samurai

This is working for all Archtypes but the ones in the 'Unearthed Arcana'.
Can you imagine why?

And thanks again for your great work

I don't use PAR5E to make this and I don't know what the syntax is for the links in PAR5E. Can you be more descriptive of what type of link you are trying to make and where it is? I assume you are making a windowreference link that will pop up the class ability window displaying the archetype information and feature links.

The code for this would be:

<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.xxClass.abilities.xxClassAbili ty">xxText</link>

So for the eldritch knight it would be:

link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.UAfighter.abilities.eldritchkn ight">Eldritch Knight</link>

PAR5E can only do what it is specifically told to do. From the look of the PAR5E code you are providing, I get the impression that PAR5E isn't designed to work with any modules that were not made with PAR5E. It seems to be assuming some data (which it would already know if the module was made in the format of PAR5E).

Thegroo
January 21st, 2017, 21:11
This is the code in my module

<martialarchetype3>
<name type="string">Martial Archetype</name>
<level type="number">3</level>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>At 3rd level, you choose an archetype that you strive to emulate in your combat styles and techniques. The Champion archetype is detailed at the end of the class description; see the <i>Player's Handbook</i> for information on other martial archetypes. Your archetype grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level. </p>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.champion@*">Champion</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.battlemaster archtype@*">Battlemaster Archtype</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.eldritchknig ht@*">Eldritch Knight</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.archfighter@ *">Archfighter</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.elitemercena ry@*">Elite Mercenary</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.arcanearcher @Unearthed Arcana">Arcane Archer</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.knight@*">Knight</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.samurai@*">Samurai</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.monsterhunte r@*">Monster Hunter</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.sharpshooter @*">Sharpshooter</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.cavalier@*">Cavalier</link>
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.fighter.abilities.scout@*">Scout</link>
</text>
<specializationchoice type="number">1</specializationchoice>
</martialarchetype3>

Thegroo
January 21st, 2017, 21:25
With your help i solved the issue.

The link has to be like:
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.UAfighter.abilities.arcanearch er@*">Arcane Archer UA</link>

The problem with the link in FG5EParse is that
#zal;UAfighter_ability;Arcane Archer;*;Arcane Archer UA
results in
<link class="reference_classability" recordname="reference.classdata.uafighter.abilities.arcanearch er@*">Arcane Archer UA</link>

The UA in front of fighter gets converted to lower case.
Perhaps kp991 (smile) can find a solution for this.

Thanks for the help

Nickademus
January 21st, 2017, 21:46
Just change the 'uafighter' in the module xml to 'UAfighter' after you make it.

kp9911
January 21st, 2017, 22:50
I can make that change however for integrity purposes it's always shifted to lower case. I guess when entering in details people would need to be very specific.

Anyway I am completely going to overall the linking system, currently I have around 20 odd links in the new version which I will relese eventually.

Nickademus
January 22nd, 2017, 00:15
I can make that change however for integrity purposes it's always shifted to lower case.

I'll admit, I don't know much about the 5e parsers, but this just makes me ask why. You shouldn't change the names of elements that people use. As long as they adhere to the requirements of xml they are fine as is.

kp9911
January 22nd, 2017, 01:27
Occupational hazard I guess, string functions as long as they are not passwords are always converted to either a lower or an upper case and then dealt with, however in this scenario additional amends are required.

Nickademus
February 7th, 2017, 00:44
New update: a remake of the favored soul, and other new sorcerous origins.

gagsmith
February 7th, 2017, 01:52
I have to tell you your turnaround time is a real service to the community. Thanks.

Nickademus
February 7th, 2017, 03:40
Thank you. I try to be prompt. It helps that WotC releases the UA articles on my day off.

Thegroo
February 8th, 2017, 01:42
Fast like the wind.
thank you again

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 02:45
Fast like the wind.
There's definitely some wind involved.

Nickademus
February 8th, 2017, 04:09
There's definitely some wind involved.

Yeah, I should stop eating Taco Bell.

Gwydion
February 8th, 2017, 17:49
Purchased and reviewed!

Nickademus
February 8th, 2017, 23:56
Thank you for you kind words.

Aedyn
February 12th, 2017, 15:56
First of all: thank you for your time and effort! I am very grateful you've put this module together. :)

Now to my question: I've only recently purchased Fantasy Grounds and I'm currently a complete novice when it comes to making changes to things.

What I'm interested in doing is knowing how to disable elements of this module that I don't want to make available, simply for ease of reading. For example, I don't want to make use of the "Revenant" subraces and won't be allowing my players to play them. To make the section a little less cluttered, I'd prefer to just disable the data so it doesn't clutter the library.

Is there a way I can do this without breaking the mod?

Sorry if this is a very basic question, but like I said...I'm a complete novice. :)

Nickademus
February 12th, 2017, 19:45
There is no way to load only part of a module into FG. Aside from just telling the player to ignore it, you could access the xml file and delete the section for the revenant. (How you access the file depends on your zip program and has been discussed in this thread already.) I wouldn't recommend a novice try this, but if you spend some time learning about the xml, you should be able to figure it out. If you break it, you can always download it again.

This thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36157-5e-Asset-Templates) has a mod file that contains directions for editing modules like this. It will walk you step-by-step through the creation of a module using the format I use. Using that information in reverse, you would find the locations of the assets you wish to remove and delete them.

Aedyn
February 12th, 2017, 20:50
There is no way to load only part of a module into FG. Aside from just telling the player to ignore it, you could access the xml file and delete the section for the revenant. (How you access the file depends on your zip program and has been discussed in this thread already.) I wouldn't recommend a novice try this, but if you spend some time learning about the xml, you should be able to figure it out. If you break it, you can always download it again.

This thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36157-5e-Asset-Templates) has a mod file that contains directions for editing modules like this. It will walk you step-by-step through the creation of a module using the format I use. Using that information in reverse, you would find the locations of the assets you wish to remove and delete them.

Perfect! Thank you. :)

Nickademus
February 14th, 2017, 02:02
Another update, the final class article.

tsemana
February 14th, 2017, 07:00
Hi Nickademus, thanks again for maintaining this module so tightly!

I have a question about the Warlock Class. If I wanted to use an original PHB Patron, but gain access to the invocations from the UA, I could just drag those entries over, right? There are no mechanical significance to them?

Also, when I look at the 'Other' tab on the UA Warlock it looks like the Features' for the original PHB invocations' levels are set to 0. Is that intentional?

kp9911
February 14th, 2017, 07:27
Also, when I look at the 'Other' tab on the UA Warlock it looks like the Features' for the original PHB invocations' levels are set to 0. Is that intentional?

Yes since its a really nice idea by Nickademus. How it works is that these skills are not added to the features list as and when invocations are added to your character sheet. What you need to do is declare which ones you want and then manually move them to the features list, in this way you will always know the ones you have selected and do not need to guess later on.

Nickademus
February 14th, 2017, 14:38
Didn't even know the Other tab was a thing now. Yes, all the subfeatures are level zero to prevent them from automatically being placed on your character sheet since you have a choice.

Ultimately, each feature is only text and it won't hurt anything to drag features from multiple sources to your character sheet. The only thing that would cause a conflict is if you tried to drag the PHB warlock class for one level and then the UA warlock class for another.

GM SoulFlayer
February 15th, 2017, 06:57
Thanks Nick. Love it!

fingerback
February 15th, 2017, 09:42
i downloaded V 1.5 a few days ago. its a wonderful mod that and you are a saint for making it. i see that there is a new version but i can not figure out how to update the one i have to the new version?

please help.

i tried downloading the new version but dmsguild wont let me it just tells me i already downloaded it.

Nickademus
February 15th, 2017, 11:08
That is interesting. You should be able to download it regardless of if you already have it. Go to the product page and see if there is a link in the top of the description you can click on. If not, go to your Account settings by clicking the word 'Account' at the top of the screen. Click the second link 'Updated products' and see if the UA module is in the list.

If not, contact DMsG support and ask them how to fix the issue.

dogmatic1723
February 15th, 2017, 16:16
I went and made a copy of all of the UA/PHB/SC classes and merged the data I wanted to use in my game to a single, game-specific, entry for each class (manually, using in-game editing only). I've packaged all of the edited class' to a mod that I share with my players, but I don't share the other references like PHB, so they only see my amalgamated class. Saves on data transfer bandwidth too.

Nickademus
February 21st, 2017, 19:23
New update. Improvements to the mass combat system.

kp9911
February 21st, 2017, 19:55
Jeez that's some crazy turn around time you got there!

Nickademus
February 27th, 2017, 23:00
New update. Traps!

Thegroo
February 28th, 2017, 01:44
Thanks again

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 02:31
New update. Traps!
Nice, I was wondering if you would do them!

Nickademus
February 28th, 2017, 04:26
I'm doing all the articles.

Gwydion
February 28th, 2017, 12:09
I'm doing all the articles.
Great work. Thanks so much again!

rob2e
February 28th, 2017, 13:30
Keep up the goodness. MUCH APPRECIATED!

Nickademus
February 28th, 2017, 20:27
I'm curious peoples' thoughts on this new article. The revisited way of doing traps is interesting.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 22:43
I sort of like it.

I think they've added a lot of good discussion around traps. Info that is something that should be considered etc. Its a good start for a comprehensive guide/treatise. But, I don't think they have trap mechanics or design down as ... thoroughly or consistently as they could. Plus, I think a lot of the discussion would not make it into a printed product as it's too lengthy when you are paying per page.

I have mixed feelings about them moving away from mechanical/magical categories. Also, I don't like how complex traps are always about requiring three steps/checks to disable each component. I would design some that only require one stage or two (or maybe 4 or 5!).

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 22:44
Oh, and I had meant to check out how you had done the traps as NPC's. I'm thinking complex traps might need to be multiple NPCs to give them multiple initiatives. What did you do?

Nickademus
February 28th, 2017, 23:53
The NPC stats for 5e doesn't support traps directly (like the PF ruleset does) so I left the article as text. GMs have different ideas on how to best portray traps in FG. I'd rather not force one way on people, unless the 5e ruleset later adopts this format for traps. Then I'll go back and make the actual game assets, but I doubt the ruleset will since these traps are just playtest.

rob2e
March 6th, 2017, 06:46
UA is AWESOME! OMG!

Question:

The mystic talents are listed in the reference manual section but are not included in the character build info. Is that intentional, or was it an oversight? In other words, when building a mystic character, the player has to open the reference manual in the library to read the talents. Not a usual procedure.

ThanX!

Nickademus
March 6th, 2017, 10:28
I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. I see all the talents in the feat list (type 'talent' into the filter to single them out). All the disciplines are there too. I'm not sure why the talents would be in the character build info, as feats and spells aren't normally listed there. The disciplines are listed only because they are associated with a particular Order, though if there were disciplines that were not associated, they wouldn't be there either.

I guess the answer to your question is look in the feat list, since the talents and disciplines are treated as feats.

rob2e
March 6th, 2017, 10:38
I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. I see all the talents in the feat list (type 'talent' into the filter to single them out). All the disciplines are there too. I'm not sure why the talents would be in the character build info, as feats and spells aren't normally listed there. The disciplines are listed only because they are associated with a particular Order, though if there were disciplines that were not associated, they wouldn't be there either.

I guess the answer to your question is look in the feat list, since the talents and disciplines are treated as feats.

That's a good enough explanation for me. What happened was I was building a new character (not being familiar with the class) and I couldn't find the info in the normal way. I didn't understand the talents were being treated as if the were (kind of) feats. All good. And THANX again for all the good work.

I'm building a few level one pregens for the 5E open world (anyone can play) campaign I'm running to let new players experience the UA material right out of the gate!

Nickademus
March 14th, 2017, 19:24
And another update. The Mystic in its full glory. This was a whopping article to read. Sounds like fun though.

Thegroo
March 14th, 2017, 19:34
And once again many thanks for your work

Grimlore
March 14th, 2017, 19:56
Anyone having an issue downloading this module right now? I click download and it just redirects me back to the modules page...

Thegroo
March 14th, 2017, 20:05
Worked form me 30 min ago

Redemption77
March 14th, 2017, 20:13
I just downloaded with no issue.

Thanks again for the quick update! This is a great one truly filling out the mystic for a full 1-20 play.

Grimlore
March 14th, 2017, 20:30
I added some free artwork to my cart, and could download that without issue. However, for the UA, there is no download link present. Do you download modules differently then other things on the site? I've never used DMguild before - maybe i'm missing something?

Redemption77
March 14th, 2017, 20:32
Nah, the UA should download the same way. However I have had an issue with mine as well. Its not a download issue and perhaps the issue is on my end and I can suss it out but when I download the new UA and get it installed and fired up FG it is still showing me the old mystic and doesnt provide the new options or the extended class level table. Im not sure if this is on the DMsguild end or on my end

rob2e
March 14th, 2017, 20:48
I just got an update notice on my DMs Guild account, downloaded just fine.

Grimlore
March 14th, 2017, 20:51
I just got an update notice on my DMs Guild account, downloaded just fine.

Thanks. I've contacted DMguild support to ask why there is no download link for me.
Cheers,

rob2e
March 14th, 2017, 21:10
Hmm, now that I just posted the download is fine, I did open FG, and the mystic still has the tables for 10 levels only... Hmmm.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2017, 21:12
Thanks. I've contacted DMguild support to ask why there is no download link for me.
Cheers,
Try a different web browser. Also, if given the option (look for the link), try the "classic" download tool. I find I often have to use that when using Chrome browser.

Redemption77
March 14th, 2017, 21:13
Well at least Im not the only one with the issue Rob. Thank you for making me feel better about myself

Nickademus
March 14th, 2017, 22:06
After all my hard work, I go to take a nap and this is what happens....

There was some sort of error in the uploading. The new version didn't make it to the DMsG. I've rectified the issue and tested the download. Everything should be working now. Sorry for the inconvenience. (Stupid technology.)

Redemption77
March 15th, 2017, 15:00
Well I hope you finally got your nap! The new download did in fact work. Appreciate all your hard work and how quickly you get that mod updated. Its amazing stuff and adds alot to my game at least. Thank you so much

Grimlore
March 15th, 2017, 19:57
Hi all, I can confirm that everything works now as well. DMguild replied to my support ticket really quickly, and added an download link to the page.

Vexingly
March 18th, 2017, 18:48
Hey guys, I have an odd problem where my Fantasy Grounds does not recognize the Unearthed Arcana module when I add it to my module folder.

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Also, not sure if it matters, but I purchased FG through Stream.

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2017, 20:53
Hey guys, I have an odd problem where my Fantasy Grounds does not recognize the Unearthed Arcana module when I add it to my module folder.

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Also, not sure if it matters, but I purchased FG through Stream.

Hi Vexingly and welcome to FG and to the community.

When you say it doesn't recognise the module do you mean that you cannot see it when you open your modules window (by clicking on the module button after clicking on the Library button). Or do you mean that when you double click on it in that window it doesn't open (i.e. activate) the module. Or do you mean something else?

Vexingly
March 19th, 2017, 06:15
Hi Vexingly and welcome to FG and to the community.

When you say it doesn't recognise the module do you mean that you cannot see it when you open your modules window (by clicking on the module button after clicking on the Library button). Or do you mean that when you double click on it in that window it doesn't open (i.e. activate) the module. Or do you mean something else?

Thanks for responding Zachaeus,

I am able to see it in the library, so I able to allow players to load the module. However, despite this, when I sign into my own game using the local host function, I can't make any characters using the rules from Unearthed Arcana. Instead, I am only able to make characters which follow the PHB ruleset (Which I purchased to reduce the learning curve time on picking up Par5e while learning how to use Fantasy Grounds). I assumed that the Unearthed Arcana adds to but does not supersede the PHB, so there should not be a conflict.

I am not sure what is wrong/what I have done wrong. I have doubled checked that I allow players to load the module from the library screen. Is there something more that I need to do in order to activate it for players? Sorry, if I am just being a nob and have missed something obvious. I am still trolling through the massive video guides on the forums, as well as setting up the program.

-Vexingly

Nickademus
March 19th, 2017, 06:27
Could you provide a screenshot of what you are trying to do? When connecting as localhost, you still need to go in and open the module on the player client (even if you have it open on the GM client). Make sure you can access it in the Library of the player client.

Nickademus
March 21st, 2017, 06:41
New update. Wizards again.

rob2e
March 21st, 2017, 07:10
Fantastic as always. I have a request (which I am in no position to make, but) - it would be really cool if the classes had the equipment links in the equipment section like the PHB classes do. Thoughts?

Nickademus
March 21st, 2017, 08:32
I'm not linking to any official Smiteworks products in this module. It is unofficial and being kept separate on purchase.

rob2e
March 21st, 2017, 13:11
I'm not linking to any official Smiteworks products in this module. It is unofficial and being kept separate on purchase.

Got it. Although couldn't you still link to the SRD equipment, as that "module" is standard with every license?

rob2e
March 21st, 2017, 14:50
Just downloaded the newest version, seems the Wizard Revisited is blank in the Reference Manual.

Nickademus
March 21st, 2017, 18:53
Got it. Although couldn't you still link to the SRD equipment, as that "module" is standard with every license?
Since it is on the DMsG, I could link to the PHB or duplicate the PHB material. Though that is a gray area of stepping on toes. The idea is to keep this module completely separate for anything Smiteworks to avoid any legal issues for either of us. I know this deprives you of some luxuries, but it is better than a legal guy popping up and saying "Rawr! Legals!" and removing the module completely. Better safe than sorry.

Just downloaded the newest version, seems the Wizard Revisited is blank in the Reference Manual.
Oops, must have not linked it appropriately. I thought I tested that link. Meh, 3 am for you. Will fix and update.

Nickademus
March 21st, 2017, 19:01
Yeah, I had put it in the Arcane Traditions section of the ref manual where the Theurgy originally was. All better now.

rob2e
March 21st, 2017, 21:19
I figured since the DMs Guild is the (as I was told) "official channel" to release 5E material that links from any Smiteworks stuff would be ok. Especially SRD (public IP info) material.

Nickademus
March 28th, 2017, 00:28
Another update. Some (OP) subclasses.

nic227
March 28th, 2017, 14:31
Thanks for all your work with this.

I have a request could the one ##;Ranger entry be renamed "Ranger (No Spells)". So there is no confusion in the menus.

Nickademus
March 28th, 2017, 16:58
I can do that. But the way FG is programmed, the name "Ranger (No Spells)" will appear everywhere (since FG fills the list with the actual class names).

nic227
March 28th, 2017, 18:09
Oh hmm. under class & level.. not that pretty. well it was a idea.

Dragontail
March 30th, 2017, 02:25
Am i doing something wrong? i downloaded it and dropped it in module folder. Cant seem to find it to load tho

Dragontail
March 30th, 2017, 02:27
and nvm.....reloaded it and it loaded fine. Awesome work thanks a ton!

Nickademus
April 4th, 2017, 02:23
Another update. Some new spells.

rob2e
April 6th, 2017, 23:24
Awesome AS ALWAYS!

Question:

I know that when you drag (for example) the cleric class to a new PC, it allows you to pick the Domain from any open library source. In essence, whether you drag the class from the PHB or the SCAG, it has options to pick the Domain from both books. But the UA info is not available. Conversely, if you drag cleric in from UA, you only get the four domains there and not the rest from the other sources.

Coding can obviously be done to accommodate that situation, but how much trouble/work would that be for you? I'd help if I could. But I don't know if there's a way to "share work" on this project.

Thoughts?

Nickademus
April 7th, 2017, 00:43
It's not a matter of work, but rather of how FG does things. Right now I have them separate to keep from stepping on Smitework's toes. But I did text how FG would respond to the classes being merged. It did not go well.

Part of the problem is that the UA module is designed to offer the classes in full so that a person can use the module without having to purchase the PHB. Also the format of the classes is a little different to offer features that PAR5E can't provide. This causes conflicts within FG when it is trying to gather class assets.

In the end it proved more complicated than it was worth to cause it to merge.

rob2e
April 7th, 2017, 01:12
It's not a matter of work, but rather of how FG does things. Right now I have them separate to keep from stepping on Smitework's toes. But I did text how FG would respond to the classes being merged. It did not go well.

Part of the problem is that the UA module is designed to offer the classes in full so that a person can use the module without having to purchase the PHB. Also the format of the classes is a little different to offer features that PAR5E can't provide. This causes conflicts within FG when it is trying to gather class assets.

In the end it proved more complicated than it was worth to cause it to merge.

Boo. Yet understandable.

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2017, 01:29
On the merging of class info. I just watched Doug's new video on the DMG. He talks for about 30 seconds about how the Elf races merges sub-races from multiple sources depending upon what you have open at the moment. It might be worth taking a look at the races and classes section of that video. If I remember right, it was about 17 minutes into his video.

rob2e
April 7th, 2017, 01:34
On the merging of class info. I just watched Doug's new video on the DMG. He talks for about 30 seconds about how the Elf races merges sub-races from multiple sources depending upon what you have open at the moment. It might be worth taking a look at the races and classes section of that video. If I remember right, it was about 17 minutes into his video.

In addition to wondering this already for weeks, that is exactly what prompted me to finally ask about it, but Nick's reason seems to explain why it can't (won't?!) be done.

Nickademus
April 7th, 2017, 03:19
I looked at the code in the 5e ruleset for how classes are parsed and acquired from module sources. I'm well aware of how it works. The problem is that the merging assumes that the two assets are identical with additional options. That is not the case, nor do I want to change my module and remove features to make it identical. When I tested merging my module, I kept running into errors where FG couldn't see parts, maybe due to overlap, maybe due to structural differences.

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2017, 05:08
Well see you did more than just your homework, sounds like you did a term paper :)

Beltaur
April 9th, 2017, 05:15
I browsed the pages but didn't see if anyone reported this, I also re downloaded this module from DMs Guild to check, under the mystic, mystic quirks your table has an 11 and 1 , should be 11 and 11 or it don't work. Thought you might want to know. I fixed on mine but didn't feel right about messing with your hard work.

Also thank you for this module it is good work.

Nickademus
April 9th, 2017, 10:35
Thanks for letting me know. I'll fix it when I get home from work.

aaronjreeves
April 10th, 2017, 01:56
Hey im trying to setup the Knight ability "Implacable Mark" as an effect, but when I drag it into the actions tab it just makes a useless attack macro that doesnt do anything but roll a d20. Am I missing something? Do I need to setup the effect manually? I have no idea how to do that.

aaronjreeves
April 10th, 2017, 02:30
Hey im trying to setup the Knight ability "Implacable Mark" as an effect, but when I drag it into the actions tab it just makes a useless attack macro that doesnt do anything but roll a d20. Am I missing something? Do I need to setup the effect manually? I have no idea how to do that.

I ended up making my own effects to do this, here they are incase anyone else needs them:

On the knight: Knight; IFT: Implaceable Mark; ADVATK: melee, opportunity
Mark effect: Implaceable Mark; DISATK; IFT: custom(Knight); ADVATK

Nickademus
April 10th, 2017, 14:17
Abilities weren't really meant to be drug to the Actions tab. The ruleset allows it and searches through the description for key words to make a power entry, but the parsing is very basic and almost never creates exactly the effect desired. It's meant to make a starting point for you to modify to do what is needed.

In the case of Implacable Mark, the description probably has none of the keywords, so it created an empty power with only the default cast action.

Nickademus
April 11th, 2017, 02:25
New update. Downtime (a.k.a. Ways to **** with PCs).

Nickademus
April 17th, 2017, 22:22
New update. More feats.

pauljmendoza
April 22nd, 2017, 08:01
Spells seem to be broken for me, all of the lists are blank.

Nickademus
April 22nd, 2017, 09:09
Yeah, the spell list was overwritten by a list meant for a different module. The list in the master index and the reference manual still worked. Uploaded a fixed version. Thanks for pointing this out.

Nickademus
April 24th, 2017, 20:19
Another update. The power creeps is starting to get heavy with these...

bigbluepaw
April 24th, 2017, 21:42
Hey Nickademus. Would it be easier to break up the mod into smaller ones? Maybe one for races, one for classes and one for everything else?

EDIT: Thanks BTW. Having these turned around so fast is awesome.

Nickademus
April 25th, 2017, 02:50
This was discussed on the DMsG page. I'm not inclined to split it up and manage several modules nor to try to either links several modules to the DMsG page or create multiple pages to host each module. I give directions there for pruning unwanted sections from the code.

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 25th, 2017, 13:45
Hey... you mind if I tweet this? This is great!

Nickademus
April 25th, 2017, 13:57
Make sure you have permission to tweet Smiteworks and Wizards of the Coast property, then go for it! I don't tweet, so I don't know the legals involved.

Tarnredaxe
April 26th, 2017, 21:45
Hi all brand new to this MOD stuff just have a quick question about the UA Mystic Class. Is there a way to show PSI Points on the character sheet? Is there a specific Character sheet already made? and i see that the powers are considered Feats, is there anyway to drag them into the actions tab to use as powers? or do i need to edit all the powers myself to make them work? Thanks in advance :)

Nickademus
April 27th, 2017, 00:16
When you drag something to the Actions tab, FG just looks through the description for words and phrases that it recognizes to create a power entry. You would have to completely rewrite the psi power description to match the phrases that FG is looking for in order for this to work. The best I've ever seen this work was to create a starting point which needed tweaked to get to a point that matched the desired set of actions. It's best to just create the power actions yourself; it doesn't take much longer than editing the parsed entry.

As for how to show psi points, the 5e ruleset doesn't have a way to do this inherently since the mystic is only playtest material currently. Different people have different ways to do it, but what I've heard most used is to just make a power entry with a number of daily uses equal to your points and click them off as you use them.

Not the best setup, but the mystic class is unlike anything officially in 5e so the ruleset doesn't accommodate well.

Nylanfs
April 27th, 2017, 12:32
Hi all brand new to this MOD stuff just have a quick question about the UA Mystic Class. Is there a way to show PSI Points on the character sheet? Is there a specific Character sheet already made? and i see that the powers are considered Feats, is there anyway to drag them into the actions tab to use as powers? or do i need to edit all the powers myself to make them work? Thanks in advance :)

Also welcome to the FG forums and community!

Wrayyth
April 30th, 2017, 18:16
You are amazing!!!

Nickademus
April 30th, 2017, 18:39
Um, thanks. And welcome to the forums.

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2017, 00:29
New update. Improvements to some subclasses. I'm happy with the results.

C.A.T.
May 11th, 2017, 18:19
Thanks! I appreciated you making this free and open :D

Nickademus
May 11th, 2017, 22:00
Well, I technically didn't have a choice, but I would have anyway. The articles are free, why not the modules.

C.A.T.
May 12th, 2017, 02:14
Still dude, is a lot of work getting one of this things done, so thanks!

kp9911
May 20th, 2017, 07:49
Nikademus, if you dont mind me asking, how did you build your templates, did you have some material to fall back on or did you go through the 5E ruleset to determine what XML tags were required?

Zacchaeus
May 20th, 2017, 08:57
Nikademus, if you dont mind me asking, how did you build your templates, did you have some material to fall back on or did you go through the 5E ruleset to determine what XML tags were required?
If you check out the output file from valeros' basic parser you'll get the basic xml for all of the asset types.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21835-D-amp-D-Basic-Rules-PDF-Parser

kp9911
May 20th, 2017, 09:14
If you check out the output file from valeros' basic parser you'll get the basic xml for all of the asset types.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21835-D-amp-D-Basic-Rules-PDF-Parser

Does this include tokens, push pins & Reference Manual Entries? The reason I ask is because I there are a couple of templates that I am missing myself.

Nickademus
May 20th, 2017, 10:40
I used a mix of sources, ultimately looking through the ruleset code. I'm not sure what you are referring to with 'tokens, push pins & Reference Manual Entries'. Push pins are image modifications. Tokens appear in a number of places. Neither have to do with the xml for assets such as classes and feats. What exactly are you looking for an example of?

kp9911
May 20th, 2017, 10:50
The 3 sections mentioned above are grey areas for me, I'm basically trying to build those templates and when run in the code iterate over them and assign entries, which is why I was wanting to know how you devised your own.

So far all I have to work with is Par5e (whichever sections are functional) and the 5e rule set code, these are favorable enough, I just wanted to know if I had missed some published instances of templates anywhere.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 16:11
I just wanted to know if I had missed some published instances of templates anywhere.

Reference manual info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Reference_Manuals
Data structure info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Structure_Overview_and_Best_Practices

Wookiee420
May 20th, 2017, 16:56
Does this include tokens, push pins & Reference Manual Entries? The reason I ask is because I there are a couple of templates that I am missing myself.

Push pins are easy, SUPER easy....just add a copy of the map into your CAMPAIGN folder, grid it (if you want) and put your pins it..type /save...open your CAMPAIGN db...go to the image you are working on and cut out the data you want and paste it into your MODULES db where it belongs...pins will be <shortcuts> and grid will be <gridsize> and other stuff here is an example of it copied from the MODULE db

<id-00002>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>images/fort.jpg</bitmap>
<gridsize>32</gridsize>
<gridoffset>0,0</gridoffset>
<gridsnap>on</gridsnap>
<shortcuts>
<shortcut>
<x>536</x>
<y>634</y>
<class>note</class>
<recordname>reference.note.id-00001</recordname>
</shortcut>
</shortcuts>
</image>
<isidentified type="number">1</isidentified>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Map:The Fort</name>
<nonid_name type="string">Map: The Fort</nonid_name>
</id-00002>

Notice it says "reference.no.id-00001" you need to copy your note into a <note> on your MODULE also (or whatever type of pin it is)

EDIT: This can even be done on embedded images in the RefMan, just they wont be interactive, meeaning you can see pins but cant click on them..I used this as a feature in this image, its a weakpoint in the wall, i want the GM to know its there but not the players, and it doesnt need to be on the usable map because like i said, it just signifies a weak point

Nickademus
May 20th, 2017, 18:53
The 3 sections mentioned above are grey areas for me,

Have you tried looking at this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36157-5e-Asset-Templates)? I think I touch on some of those in there. Everything is commented with instructions.

kp9911
May 22nd, 2017, 17:25
Thanks for all the assistance guys!

Nickademus
June 9th, 2017, 04:08
New update, well not exactly new. Honestly didn't know there was a new article since its name is almost identical to the previous one...

The High Druid
June 18th, 2017, 10:50
Now Mystic and Artificer are on the DM's Guild do you think you will continue to include them in this module?

Nickademus
June 18th, 2017, 23:28
The classes are still playtest material. I will continue to offer both older obsolete versions of the class (as I do with all the UA content) and the newest playtest version.

ProfDogg
July 1st, 2017, 03:25
Just have to say: you rock... Seriously, this is a beautiful thing here...

Nickademus
July 1st, 2017, 04:14
I appreciate the feedback. Makes it worth the effort.
I should have a new community extension in the near future as well. I feel it's going to be big.

Nrrdy
July 7th, 2017, 01:33
Just stumbled across the .mod file today...I am impressed...works like charm :) keep up the great work.

ravenloft713
July 7th, 2017, 03:22
How do I know what version of the mod I have? I got mine around a month ago and I would like to periodically check for the latest and greatest by comparing version numbers, and not "I think I downloaded this four weeks ago."

rob2e
July 7th, 2017, 03:24
If you're downloading from DMs Guild, there will be a notification when he updates it.

Nickademus
July 7th, 2017, 05:24
The best idea if you aren't getting DMsG notifications is to just download it again. Barring that, check the top article in the reference manual and see if it matches the top article listed in the DMsG description.

Nickademus
July 10th, 2017, 23:04
New update. Old-school Initiative! I'm really liking this one. Maybe I'll make an extension for it...

The High Druid
July 12th, 2017, 12:21
From a player point of view I can see the attraction. From the DM point of view, having to decide at the start of every round whether each goblin is going to use it's melee weapon, or ranged weapon, and whether it's going to move or not,
will be a nightmare.

Nickademus
July 12th, 2017, 15:54
In the extension I'm planning, it will have locks on the GM window where the GM can set the actions of a creature and lock them. Each round, FG will just use the locked choices.

The High Druid
July 12th, 2017, 17:32
Ah, okay that would make things easier. I guess you'd need check checkboxes, locks, whatever, for each of the 6 actions under "initiative dice", plus a spot to drop a bonus action dice. Would still have to check each NPC before rolling initiative . . . would the weapon speed option be too complicated?

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2017, 17:56
would the weapon speed option be too complicated?

You want it more Nightmarish?

Nickademus
July 12th, 2017, 18:35
I don't plan to use weapon speed myself, but in the design I'm formulating each of the main buttons (ranged, move, melee, spell) can have dice drug onto them. This will cause the window (a custom window, by the way) to register the action but use the given dice instead of the default. So for weapon speed, you would drag the damage die on top of the ranged or melee button to register the attack action and use the weapon's die/dice. Likewise for spells if you want to implement spell casting time.

The High Druid
July 14th, 2017, 22:53
You want it more Nightmarish?

Heh. not at all, I just didn't see how it could be implemented easily . . . but if you can scroll down the combat tracker, set what each NPC is doing (or set it from the map somehow?), and then see those settings when their turn shows up to remind you, it might be less of a nightmare than I originally thought.

Niles
August 1st, 2017, 15:18
Hi Nickademus, I downloaded the Unearthed Arcana module but I didn't see anything in it concerning Eberron. Am I just missing it? Thanks for any info you can provide!

Zacchaeus
August 1st, 2017, 17:29
Hi Nickademus, I downloaded the Unearthed Arcana module but I didn't see anything in it concerning Eberron. Am I just missing it? Thanks for any info you can provide!

I suspect this is because Eberron is reserved copyright and so can't be on the DMs Guild.

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2017, 17:31
Actually I believe it's because the DM's Guild (AFAIK) is still limited to Forgotten Realms material.

Niles
August 1st, 2017, 17:54
I was just asking because under Nickademus' original post, under version 1.5, it says there is something about Eberron in it.

Nickademus
August 1st, 2017, 18:13
The Eberron article is there, but due to the DMsG's policy of not allowing any copyright material from campaign settings other than Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft, all uses of Eberron-specific names were changed. The warforged is in Forgotten Realms so was left as is. The dragonmark tattoos were renamed but appear as feats and items. The other new races are as is. I believe the article (which was the first so will be at the bottom of the list) is called 'Sci-Fi Fantasy' or something like that.

Nickademus
September 12th, 2017, 19:11
New update. Enter the Gith.

Myrdin Potter
September 13th, 2017, 13:23
Thanks for the update.

Nickademus
October 18th, 2017, 03:48
Another update. Sorry for the delay; due to RL I wasn't conscious most of the day this came out and I missed it.

Nickademus
January 10th, 2018, 03:19
Another update: new subclasses for druid, fighter and wizard.

DGM
January 12th, 2018, 18:34
Another update: new subclasses for druid, fighter and wizard.

Thanks Nick you are doing great!

Thegroo
January 13th, 2018, 01:49
Thanks

Kanbie
January 24th, 2018, 01:00
I was over at DMsG browsing and I noticed that I couldn't find your Unearthed module there from the link in the OP. Did something happen?

I still get the updates though.

gamerleveldad
January 28th, 2018, 20:02
I was over at DMsG browsing and I noticed that I couldn't find your Unearthed module there from the link in the OP. Did something happen?

I still get the updates though.

I noticed the same. I was just looking to switch from roll20 to FG and was hoping to get the module as I have a few players using ua content.

Any other way to get the module?

LordEntrails
January 28th, 2018, 21:46
Nickadeamus answered in another thread that OBS has made his module private so that it only shows for those who already have purchased it. He has reached out to them to find out why, but has not heard back yet.

Myrdin Potter
January 28th, 2018, 23:53
DnD Beyond has started featuring UA content and Doug mentioned in his Dragon+ interview something about UA coming to Fantasy Grounds. My guess is that it has something to do with one or both of those.

gamerleveldad
January 29th, 2018, 01:04
I had thought that might have been the case after listening to the most recent dnd beyond pod cast.

I'm alright with that, but it would have been a lot better to give some warning or better communicate the intent.

I at least am not making the switch just yet so hopefully by the time I'm ready some ua solution is available

Gix
January 29th, 2018, 01:18
D&D owns the content, sure, but man they suck at allowing the community to innovate.

I've purchased hard copies as well as FG copies... but to use an online tool to create a quick character... NOPE! We're gonna shut down any site that gives you anything beyond the free content, no races, no classes! ... they apparently think I'll buy the SAME content a third time and thank them for it...

epithet
January 30th, 2018, 16:03
Yeah, it is the implied smugness of their assumption that we’ll all just buy their stuff again, and maybe again after that if we want to use their reader app whenever that comes out, that has hardened my resolve. From all accounts, those folks made a good tool for D&D Beyond, but I’ll be damned if I am going to just buy everything again.

Nylanfs
January 30th, 2018, 19:12
Well there is always PCGen ... :)

JohnD
January 30th, 2018, 22:01
Castles and Crusades is just $10 for everything you need.

Nickademus
January 31st, 2018, 01:52
Last I used C&C, the ruleset wasn't even a CoreRPG design. Has it finally gotten upgraded?

JohnD
January 31st, 2018, 02:41
Holy smokes a long time ago.

Myrdin Potter
January 31st, 2018, 13:13
I will only say that WoTC licensed the 5e rules and has the OGL and I heard Doug say that UA was coming officially to FG in the Dragon+ interview. As much as people like to complain, I would wait a little.

Nickademus
January 31st, 2018, 15:34
Which is what I'm doing. I have no problem continuing to make UA content for FG. I have no problem not having to make it any longer. We'll see how things are when the dust settles.

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2018, 19:13
Has OBS responded at all as to why it's been set private?

Ratupper
February 5th, 2018, 16:09
Any Word on this I'd really like to get my hands on some of the Unearthed Arcana stuff?

ddavison
February 5th, 2018, 16:24
We have a new UA module submitted to WOTC for review. Once approved, we will release it on the store for free. Unfortunately, we were only approved to cover the latest UA article. The expectation is that new UA articles will be added. Expected approval date is on or before Feb 9th.

epithet
February 5th, 2018, 19:33
... Unfortunately, we were only approved to cover the latest UA article. ...

Someday, maybe, whoever is in charge of licensing and so forth at WotC will figure out what he or she wants to do before he or she starts to do it.

Ah, who am I kidding?