PDA

View Full Version : Question about modules.

Ryser
December 7th, 2016, 22:53
Hello, me and a few of my friends play D&D here on FG but we've been wanting to try out different games that don't come on FG officially. We found a Rulebook that turns the Mass Effect Universe into a table top and my friend was thinking about trying to make his own modules for it like the rule book perhaps.

I come here wondering if there is a good guide/video that he can look at to help him at least get started in the right direction if there is any such things.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

damned
December 7th, 2016, 23:15
Certain things can be created within FG like Items and NPCs and Stories.
Somethings can be best created with a tool like Par5e or one of the Savage Worlds tools
Somethings are best edited manually with a code/text editor.

What things in particular are you wanting to convert?
Many times its easier to just add what you need when you need it.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2016, 00:01
As damned says, it depends... :)

I think in the end you are going to want to look at the MoreCore Ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset) to see if it will allow you to get the character sheets the way you want and allow you to do the die rolling that you want. Then it's just a matter of adding what else you want.

Ryser
December 8th, 2016, 01:11
He is trying to do what some others have done like someone made a big ol thing for shadowrun to run in FG. He wants to do that but of course make a mass effect one

damned
December 8th, 2016, 02:23
Ok well that is not a module that is a ruleset... you are going to have to get down and dirty with XML and LUA....

Ryser
December 8th, 2016, 02:35
Oh ok, i was thinking the ruleset would be a module.

damned
December 8th, 2016, 02:44
Download yourself 7zip and you can use it to extra an existing ruleset - say 3.5e.pak and you can see all the source files.
It is a complex task but you can access all the existing rulesets there for examples on how stuff is done...

Trenloe
December 8th, 2016, 14:52
@Ryser You might also find that the Mass Effect system you're looking at is a close match to an existing ruleset. At a convention on Sydney a few years ago a player a Mass Effect game that was based on the D&D 4E rules. Is the one you're looking at a completely new RPG system or is it based on an existing system?

Ryser
December 8th, 2016, 18:22
@Trenloe It says in the rulebook we downloaded that is is based on the D20 system rules. With that being said it looks to be based off of D&D very heavily.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2016, 18:35
Then you could probably use the Fantasy Grounds 3.5E ruleset with little (or maybe even no) modification.

Or, the d20 Modern ruleset might be a better fit: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGA054

Ryser
December 8th, 2016, 18:50
Awesome that certainly would make things easier to do.