PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a n00b - easy xml

ChainmailTiger
October 4th, 2005, 06:18
Hi people,

I'm really interested in getting Fantasy Grounds...I only have Webrpg atm and it's just a bit boring to look at I guess, plus FG has awesome features.

Anyway, my problem is that although I normally play D20, I was planning on running a GURPS Deadlands campaign and thus need to extensively modify the existing system on FG. After reading numerous posts on the subject of modification I am beginning to look a little bit like this guy ---> :shock:

So, my question is, assuming that I'm probably not going to do anything too fancy to my character sheets and so on, is there some easy way to edit/create xml...like through FrontPage can I just type in whatever and make little boxes and tables and stuff and it will magically work somehow? I work full-time and travel and hour to and from work, so I basically only have weekends and one or two hours a night on weekdays to do stuff...and the complexity of the task as stated in those other posts seems to suggest it would take a n00b like me approximately 10 years to get anything to work.

Can someone please reassure me somehow before I spend my hard earned $40 (plus some for exchange rate from Australian dollars, damnit) and then find out that I've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting a GURPS system to work :P

I'll probably make an impulse buy anyway, but a well-informed impulse buy would make me sleep easier :wink:

Cheers,

-------
If the world made sense, guys would be the ones riding side-saddle.

Graiskye
October 4th, 2005, 07:45
My advice for GurPS is to check out OpenRPG. Seriously WebRPG suks bark off a ..... I used to think it was better than Open, than I actually tried to run a game with WebRPG. Forget it. I run a FG game and an Open game as well, so I do know a bit about both of them.
I have not seen any body involved in GURPS here at FG but that doesnt mean they arent around, I have seen a few adverts for Open games. Post an advert for people interested in GURPS see if theres an interest first, cant see why that would be a problem. Sounds like you will buy FG anyways, and I can honestly say, I feel I got my moneys worth(though I think its a bit pricey for DM's, why punish us), and its only getting better.As far as how easy it is to use, the basic functionsd are easy but ther is a lot of stuff that is not even listed in the manual that youll discover theu this site, or just using the program. I do not think you would be dissapointed with FG, especially after WebRPG...best of luck to ya.Grai

Crusader
October 4th, 2005, 08:11
So, my question is, assuming that I'm probably not going to do anything too fancy to my character sheets and so on, is there some easy way to edit/create xml...like through FrontPage can I just type in whatever and make little boxes and tables and stuff and it will magically work somehow? I work full-time and travel and hour to and from work, so I basically only have weekends and one or two hours a night on weekdays to do stuff...and the complexity of the task as stated in those other posts seems to suggest it would take a n00b like me approximately 10 years to get anything to work.

Well, there aren't anything like frontpage for XML, it's not quite the same as HTML. The character sheet that you see in Fantasy Grounds is actually an image, the XML merely contains definitions where the fields are located and what type of field it is. Unfortunately there is'nt really any documentation on how to create your own ruleset but it's actually not that hard to understand the existing codes. It takes some time and effort but hopefully not 10 years. :wink:

abatishko
October 4th, 2005, 13:00
Check this thread (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290) for information about a GURPS ruleset. I have also put together an exporter for GURPS Character Assistant that is compatible with subbuglio's ruleset.

At this point, the ruleset is just the character sheet, NPC sheet, and combat tracker, but it should be plenty sufficient.

Graiskye
October 5th, 2005, 02:18
My apologies for missing the info about Gurps, best of luck.Grai

ChainmailTiger
October 5th, 2005, 05:05
Hi guys,

Thankyou all for your help, especially the direction to the other GURPS post. I had looked at it before but didn't realise that the ruleset was close to completion. This is very promising indeed :)

Now I just have to wait until I get home so I can order FG and start playing with it...I guess it wouldn't do to spend work time using it :wink:

So, fingers crossed that subbuglio still has the ruleset lying around so I can get on the FG bandwagon.

C.T.

Frolicing in joy on the inside, doing horrible statistical analysis on the outside.

abatishko
October 5th, 2005, 17:46
subbuglio does have the ruleset ready. Since he won't be doing many improvements on it in the near future (being busy), I may do a couple changes myself. As soon as I make a couple more tweaks I'll probably host the ruleset and the exporter for GCA on my website. When that happens I'll definitely put a post here.