PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Item Module

swsjr
December 6th, 2016, 23:11
I recently created a large number of items for use with my 5e campaigns. I flagged all of the items as "identified" and then exported them to a module. I then set permissions for players to view the module in the Library. When my players select the Items link from within the Library they are able to see the name of the Items but when they open the item it is displaying as "unidentified." When they view the items from the Item window (accessed via the Item button) the names of the items are listed as, "unidentified item." They also can't view the item detail from the Item window.

I opened the db.xml and noticed that: <isidentified type="number">0</isidentified. I assumed '0' meant unidentified so I attempted to set it to '1'. Unfortunately, after doing that I no longer saw the module in my Library. I'm not certain that would have helped anyway. In searching the forums I believe I read that items are unidentified by default for players until they are shared with them. I guess I'm confused. I thought flagging them all as identified, exporting them, and then granting permission to view the module would allow them to see them when they pull up the item list.

I understand that normally I wouldn't be sharing the items with them until they were distributed to the party. In this case, I want them to be able to see the list and the descriptions. I've created at least one hundred items. Is there anyway to configure the module or the items so that a player opening it can view the name and details of the item when the click on it? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of and am unable to get it to work the way I want.

Thanks in advance :)

Zacchaeus
December 7th, 2016, 00:06
The identification of items is campaign specific. In other words if you set the item identification option to on then items will appear in the module as unidentified. And the converse is true.

if you share a module with the players items will not be unidentified. As you have discovered you need to share the individual item with the players rather than the module they are in. When creating items make sure you have identification set to on in options and you can then give the item a non I'd name and description which the players will see without giving away its real description which goes in the description box.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 00:59
I've just done a quick test on this and it worked OK for me.

5E campaign, no extensions loaded. I enabled item identification, then created a couple of items, set them to identified (Green ID symbol), and then exported all items to a module. Then loaded the module up in a new campaign, logged in a test player (using server address of localhost and the player side could see the items as identified.

When I looked at the db.xml from the module it showed <isidentified type="number">1</isidentified> So, it sounds like your module export might not have worked correctly - or the ID flag had been removed. Had you toggled campaign Item identification off/on before exporting?

swsjr
December 7th, 2016, 02:10
I'm trying to reply to the post but receiving: Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words. There are no urls in my post and I have no idea what forbidden words are... maybe I can't post images yet because of my level. I'll try rewording and posting.

swsjr
December 7th, 2016, 02:12
Trenloe - I originally created all the items in a new campaign. Item identification was set to 'Off'. Note that when I created them they did not have the identified/not identified icon (id flag was not present, I didn't notice until seeing you mention it may have been removed I loaded it back up and sure enough there isn't one in the module I created them in). When I was done, I exported just the items as a module. I was expecting the behavior you mention above - I logged on with to localhost to view and they weren't viewable. When that didn't happen, I opened the 'item' module in an existing campaign and flagged all the items as identified. I then exported again, which created a new module. When that module didn't load in the Library I check the .mod and noticed it didn't have dbxml. So, I made of copy of the original module, extracted the dbxml to examine the file. That's when I saw the isidentified type="number">0</isidentified. I replaced that with isidentified type="number">1</isidentified and added it back to the newly created .mod but FG won't recognize it as a Library for me to open.

That was probably rather confusing. I've tried so many things I'm starting to lose track. I'm missing something, or doing something wrong. I know I did not set them to 'identified' or 'unidentified' when I originally created them. I only did that after noticing they were not viewable. Now I'm uncertain how to proceed.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 04:56
I opened the 'item' module in an existing campaign and flagged all the items as identified. I then exported again, which created a new module. When that module didn't load in the Library I check the .mod and noticed it didn't have dbxml.
You can't export records that are already in a module into a new module. You can only export records from a campaign into a module - this is why you had a blank module (no db.xml file). Go back to the original campaign you created the items in, set them to be identified there, and then export items to a module.

swsjr
December 7th, 2016, 11:23
You can't export records that are already in a module into a new module. You can only export records from a campaign into a module - this is why you had a blank module (no db.xml file). Go back to the original campaign you created the items in, set them to be identified there, and then export items to a module.

Got it, I went back and turned ID on in the original campaign which now gives me the option to set the flag. I'll go through them all and flag them, then export again. It'll take some work but at least I now know what I did wrong. Thank you very much for helping. I appreciate it.

kp9911
December 7th, 2016, 12:31
That's one huge screen you got there *wow*

JohnD
December 7th, 2016, 18:50
Holy crap that's a lot of items.

swsjr
December 7th, 2016, 22:53
Holy crap that's a lot of items.

LOL, yeah, it's a conversion of an old supplement. It was a ton of items. I had to change almost every one to make them compatible with 5e rules. For me it was worth it. It taught me about creating things other than story entries, NPCs, and encounters. It was also the first time I'd tried to export anything as well, so I learned something there as too. There is another a second one I plan on converting as well. Anyway, thanks to Trenloe I was able to getting it to work the way I wanted.

Myrdin Potter
December 8th, 2016, 01:39
I recently have created a ton of new items as well (from a treasure table supplement). Takes quite a while but adds a lot of flavor to your campaign.