PDA

View Full Version : Story entries as text files?

fabiocm
December 6th, 2016, 17:25
I would like to write story entries outside FG. Is it possible?

I mean if would be possible to write a text file, for example, then put it in the right folder so fantasy grounds would read it as a story entry.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 17:28
Nope, not possible, sorry.

You'll have to copy paste the text you want into FG story entries. Or mess around with FG XML, which is much harder than copying/pasting into story entries. Or, use PAR5E to create a module with your story entries.

fabiocm
December 6th, 2016, 17:41
Oh :cry:

Thanks

LordEntrails
December 6th, 2016, 20:13
Copy/paste isn't hard. I do that a lot when I'm worried about wanting/needing spell check.

Ikael
December 6th, 2016, 21:05
If you're using SavageWorlds ruleset, then it's partially possible with the new Content Importer feature provided in Enhanced Library extension

fabiocm
December 6th, 2016, 23:24
I'm using D20 5th.

My question was because I sync the FG folder with Dropbox, so I can add images from whenever I am, even from the smartphone. If the story entries allows this too, I could write it from any PC and then just upload to the FG folder from that, saving a lot of time.

Copy/paste is an altenative, especially from cloud text-editor like google docs, but it is not so time saving as if it was automatic.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 00:35
My question was because I sync the FG folder with Dropbox...
Do not do this. There have been a number of reports of FG's database getting corrupted due to people using synch applications directly on their live FG data. It might work for a while, but there will be a time when FG can't update the database and if you're lucky you might just lose a bit of data (it might have happened already, but you haven't noticed), or in the worst case you might corrupt your campaign database and lose a lot of data, or may not even be able to run your game.

fabiocm
December 7th, 2016, 18:38
Really??

I sync only the image folder and didn't had any problem until now, for at least 8 months (so I can create maps and handouts in other PCs).

Fortunately, the campaign that I have the folder synchronized is almost finished.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 18:48
I sync only the image folder and didn't had any problem until now, for at least 8 months (so I can create maps and handouts in other PCs).
You should be OK, as long as it is just the images directory. Never sync the campaign or player cache data.