PDA

View Full Version : Swords & Wizardry Ruleset Progress

Zhern
December 6th, 2016, 04:03
*Note: I received permission from Matt Finch (creator of Swords & Wizardry) and Bill Webb of Frog God Games to create a Swords & Wizardry FG implementation. They graciously gave me permission to use either of the variants (Complete & Core) in creation of the rules/modules. The only exception is the use of any art contained within the books.

I'll be updating this when I make significant progress on the Swords & Wizardry ruleset and reference manuals.
*I had intended to start on this much sooner but work and grad school got in the way. Hopefully I can make good progress before the next semester starts in January.

Last Update:

Current Status:
In Progress

ETA:
Targeting the release to coincide with the 3rd Printing of the Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules - 1Q 2017

Progress:
Swords & Wizardry Ruleset
-Character Sheet Modification/Added Functionality - 50% (see note for why the progress decreased).
*Note: I'm reworking the layout of the character sheet. I wasn't entirely happy with how it was laid out when I finished with it. I'm also refactoring some of the functionality for the ruleset that I had added so that it is more readable and optimized. As I've gotten more comfortable with Lua I've started to figure out better ways to approach what I was trying to do. I'm also reskinning the sheet so it isn't the same goldish color of the CoreRPG and 3.5E sheet.

Swords & Wizardry Party Sheet - 20%
Swords & Wizardry Combat Tracker - 20%

Requires Rework:
Swords & Wizardry Complete Spells

To Be Done (priority order):
Swords & Wizardry Complete Referee's Reference (reference format)
Swords & Wizardry Complete Monsters

Complete:
Swords & Wizardry Complete Player's Reference (will be reworked to reference manual format)
Swords & Wizardry Complete Equipment
Swords & Wizardry Modules/Libraries loaded/fully functional

Decisions Made
Initiative RAW
Ascending and Descending AC (Both)

Decisions To Be Made
Initiative - RAW or Simplified
Multiclassing
Ascending or Descending AC
Fighter Parry - RAW, RAI or true 0e

Fighter Parry
RAW:
Parry: Fighters with a Dexterity score of 14 or better can fight on the defensive, parrying enemy blows and dodging attacks (up to a -5 on attacks at 18 dexterity).

RAI:
Parry: Fighters sacrifice their attack round to parry enemy attacks.

0e:
Fighters with a dexterity of greater than 14 can use their unusual manual dexterity to attempt to dodge or parry opponents' attacks. For every point over 14 they are able to reduce their opponents' chances of hitting them by 1 (5%). Attack rolls against Fighters with 15+ dex are adjusted automatically, so a Fighter with 16 dexterity being attacked would automatically impart a penalty on the attacker of -2 to hit because of the high dex.

File 13
Initiative RAW
Initiative and Order of Battle
When the party of adventurers comes into contact with enemies, the
order of events is as follows:

Check for Surprise: The Referee determines if a surprise roll is required, and if so, both sides roll to see if they are surprised by the sudden encounter. See below for details of the surprise roll.
Declare Spells: This is not an option for a group that was surprised; they have to wait until the beginning of the next round. See below for details of declaring spells.
Determine Initiative: Each side rolls a d6 and the side with the highest result is the winner. One roll is made for each side, not for each individual. If this is the first round and one group was surprised, the other side gets to go first automatically, without having to roll a die.
Movement and Missile Fire: Each combatant on the side that won initiative may move, or may fire any missile weapons. Then the losers of the initiative roll may move or fire missile weapons.
Melee Combat and Spells: Each combatant on the side that won initiative makes any melee attacks (if in melee range), or casts spells. Spells take effect immediately. Spells cannot be cast if the caster is in melee combat with enemies. Losers of the initiative then make their attacks and cast spells.
The round is complete. Go back to step 2 (Declare Spells) and repeat the process until the combat is finished.

Ascending and Descending AC
Using the Descending (regular) System: If you are using the regular descending Armor Class system, an unarmored character has an Armor Class of 9. Every type of armor has an “Effect on AC.” Ignore the bracketed numbers and use the “Effect on AC” to reduce the base Armor Class of 9. The lower the result, the better; powerful characters may have an AC reaching into the negative numbers.
Using the Ascending (alternate) System: If you are using the alternate ascending Armor Class system, an unarmored character has an Armor Class of 10. (That is not 9, as in the regular system, but TEN.) Actually, it is [10], because we use brackets to identify that system. Now the “Effect on AC” numbers are the ones in and wearing armor will cause AC to go up rather than down, the higher the better.

e.g.

[B]Armor TypeEffect on AC

Chain Mail
-4 [+4]

Changelog
12.29.16 - update on character sheet progress, additional prioritized work listed, decisions needed added
12.30.16 - added Fighter Parry to decisions needed list
01.01.17 - added character sheet screenshot, updated progress %
01.11.17 - updated progress and decision log

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 04:13
I look forward to seeing the progress of this.

Aggressive schedule! Best of luck. Shout if you have any questions, need some assistance.

Zhern
December 6th, 2016, 04:22
Thanks, Trenloe. I need to try and get as much done as I can before my last semester starts in January otherwise I probably won't be able to push this to users until summer.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 04:27
Thanks, Trenloe. I need to try and get as much done as I can before my last semester starts in January otherwise I probably won't be able to push this to users until summer.
Ouch! :o

Are you starting from scratch (layered on top of CoreRPG) or taking the approach vodokar did for AD&D (layering it on top of Castles & Crusades)?

vodokar
December 6th, 2016, 05:04
Sounds awesome. I'll try to help if you have any questions. I'm sure there will be some similar situations you will encounter. I've had just a bit of experience picking apart the C&C code at this point. Highly recommend starting from C&C for this project, even if it isn't layered.

damned
December 6th, 2016, 12:58
Sounds awesome. I'll try to help if you have any questions. I'm sure there will be some similar situations you will encounter. I've had just a bit of experience picking apart the C&C code at this point. Highly recommend starting from C&C for this project, even if it isn't layered.

If you start from C&C it has to be layered.
Its a commercial ruleset sold separately.
If you want to rework an existing ruleset you should probably start with 3.5e as leozelig did for DCC.

NotRussellCrowe
December 6th, 2016, 14:21
I cannot offer you any help but I do wish you the best of luck in this project. I look forward to learning S&W in the future so this will be awesome when I get around to it. Thank you and good luck in your next term too!

Happy gaming!

Kelly

Moon Wizard
December 6th, 2016, 18:11
I would suggest building on top of CoreRPG directly. You can copy one of the existing rulesets like 3.5E or something similar (which builds directly on CoreRPG) to get started, rename and reskin it, and just rip out all the bits you don't want. Then, it's just a matter of slowly customizing the sheets and logic to match your game system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
JPG

leozelig
December 7th, 2016, 00:26
If you want to rework an existing ruleset you should probably start with 3.5e as leozelig did for DCC.

Yes - I started with 3.5E, which is layered on CoreRPG, and have slowly deformed it into the twisted creature that is the DCCRPG ruleset.

I agree with Moon, layering on the CoreRPG ruleset is a good idea. Plus, that allows everyone to use it without paying extra for the C&C ruleset. Looking at the code, I would guess that the C&C ruleset evolved from an older version of 3.5E.

I am also able to help - especially with creating the reference files, which is very time consuming work but will not get any of us closer to playing S&W :)

vodokar
December 7th, 2016, 00:51
This is true. I must say, I do find it a little odd that your starting with the manuals. We can play with a ruleset and add the manuals later, but not the other way around. But, it's your project.

That is a good point about not having to buy the C&C ruleset to play S&W, but it seems a reasonable assumption that most people interested in an old school ruleset likely already have the C&C ruleset or it wouldn't be a big deal to pick it up since it's very inexpensive, which is why I didn't worry much about using it to layer over for my ruleset. I haven't looked at the 3.5 code, but it just seems like C&C would be a little closer to where he wants to end up with the ruleset.

damned
December 7th, 2016, 01:14
I forgot - he has permission to create content as well for this ruleset so there is no need to use the C&C ruleset as the base :)

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 01:32
I forgot - he has permission to create content as well for this ruleset so there is no need to use the C&C ruleset as the base :)
Only as far as content is concerned, yes. C&C would probably be a closer match to S&W than the D&D 3.5e ruleset, so less work to get the base ruleset up and running. But, it would need the GM to purchase the C&C ruleset, and I wonder how Frog God Games would feel if they knew someone had to give money to Troll Lord Games to play their S&W system on Fantasy Grounds?!?

Commercially, I reckon that in this instance it would be better to go with 3.5E - a lot will have to be stripped out and changed, but it will mean the S&W ruleset is available without another purchase, which will probably make more people happy all round. Just more development work...

damned
December 7th, 2016, 02:01
Only as far as content is concerned, yes. C&C would probably be a closer match to S&W than the D&D 3.5e ruleset, so less work to get the base ruleset up and running. But, it would need the GM to purchase the C&C ruleset, and I wonder how Frog God Games would feel if they knew someone had to give money to Troll Lord Games to play their S&W system on Fantasy Grounds?!?

Commercially, I reckon that in this instance it would be better to go with 3.5E - a lot will have to be stripped out and changed, but it will mean the S&W ruleset is available without another purchase, which will probably make more people happy all round. Just more development work...

Agreed. Id start with 3.5e or Start fresh but copy copiously from 3.5e.

Zhern
December 7th, 2016, 19:43
@MoonWizard - thanks, I appreciate that.

@damned/Trenloe - I'm probably going to start with 3.5e and build from there. I have both C&C and 3.5e and have been going through those to see how things behave. I'm okay with the added dev work if it will allow people to use the S&W set without having to buy another set.

@vodokar - the reference manuals are low hanging fruit and can be proofed via coreRPG. If I can get someone going on proofing while I'm working on other things then I can hopefully get multiple things done in parallel.

@leozelig - thanks, appreciate that. The reference manuals are tedious with all the copy/paste/clean up, but I've automated a bit of it so it hasn't been too bad so far. I think what would be great is after I get the Player's and Referee's mods put together, I could get a few of you that are familiar with S&W to read through them, make sure I didn't miss anything glaring, and that the format works well enough.

Zhern
December 7th, 2016, 20:04
I cannot offer you any help but I do wish you the best of luck in this project. I look forward to learning S&W in the future so this will be awesome when I get around to it. Thank you and good luck in your next term too!

Happy gaming!

Kelly

Thanks!

Zhern
December 10th, 2016, 15:51
FYI, I did start clean from 3.5e. I'm hoping I'll get the last bits of reference manuals knocked out this weekend and start on the ruleset Monday (that is the plan, at least).

primarch
December 10th, 2016, 22:56
FYI, I did start clean from 3.5e. I'm hoping I'll get the last bits of reference manuals knocked out this weekend and start on the ruleset Monday (that is the plan, at least).

Hi!

My thanks for doing this!

Primarch

Zhern
December 10th, 2016, 23:10
Hi!

My thanks for doing this!

Primarch

Gladly! :)

Myrdin Potter
December 15th, 2016, 05:11
Looking for modules to run on this ruleset when done? Look here:

https://www.froggodgames.com/swords-wizardry-pdf-bundle

A lot of content at the $1, $8 and $15 levels.

vodokar
December 15th, 2016, 05:47
I backed Operation Unfathomable. I'm not sure if I'm going to run it under DCC or S&W, but I'm definitely planning on running it. Plus, I can't wait to see all the goodies from the S&W kickstarter. I backed at the complete gamer level.

Myrdin Potter
December 15th, 2016, 05:50
I backed at complete gamer level also, but the huge, mega dungeon is not included there and it is in the $8 level for the bundle. Anyways, don't want to clutter up the ruleset progress thread too much.

Varsuuk
December 15th, 2016, 05:51

Guys ;) we GOTTA keep a forum area or STICKY for these sort of "RPG deals" reports. Like I did with some C&C and others with Cartographer (thank you, thank you... because now I have it and like it alot)

Anyhow - I'm waiting for my New Reprint of Complete (that new cover) KS Backerkit - just read it was sent out today - I haven't gotten anything.
Wanted to see whats in that before buy potential Dupes. But thank you - will check this out. :)

EDIT: " backed at complete gamer level also, but the huge, mega dungeon is not included there and it is in the $8 level for the bundle. Anyways, don't want to clutter up the ruleset progress thread too much."
Oops... right...sorry. All I can say in my defense is that I'm a ... "SQUIRREL!"-sort of guy... can't help it, no intent to be disruptive ;)

vodokar
December 15th, 2016, 06:58
I don't think it's disruptive specifically, since any news about S&W can only build the excitement for the ruleset, though in general, it is good policy to not clutter up a thread with extraneous stuff. And it shows Zhern that he isn't working in vein, because there is actual interest in what he is doing and it will be put to good use.

Zhern
December 15th, 2016, 11:01

Plus, the majority of the proceeds are going to the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society! A good cause and great S&W material. Rappan Athuk for $8? Heck yes!

Zhern
December 15th, 2016, 11:03
I backed Operation Unfathomable. I'm not sure if I'm going to run it under DCC or S&W, but I'm definitely planning on running it. Plus, I can't wait to see all the goodies from the S&W kickstarter. I backed at the complete gamer level.

I backed Operation Unfathomable too. Think I'll run that one DCC. Also really excited about the S&W Kickstarter and backed at Complete Gamer as well. I'm going to need another bookshelf just for that.

Zhern
December 15th, 2016, 11:08
I don't think it's disruptive specifically, since any news about S&W can only build the excitement for the ruleset, though in general, it is good policy to not clutter up a thread with extraneous stuff. And it shows Zhern that he isn't working in vein, because there is actual interest in what he is doing and it will be put to good use.

I don't think it is disruptive either. It helps build anticipation!

@Varsuuk - if you don't get your Backerkit survey soon, make sure to contact [email protected]!

Varsuuk
December 15th, 2016, 13:12

@Varsuuk - if you don't get your Backerkit survey soon, make sure to contact [email protected]!

I never got it BUT... I found I could log onto Backerkit and type my email then click on S&W and it was there.
I should email just to see why and prevent someone else from missing it though.

I got the Bundle for $15 and filled my Add-On at the Kit as well.

Mortar
December 15th, 2016, 13:23

And attracts other people like me, never played S&W, but interested in it. That PDF bundle has a lot in it, and since things are finally starting to fall into place...

Zhern
December 15th, 2016, 21:40
And attracts other people like me, never played S&W, but interested in it. That PDF bundle has a lot in it, and since things are finally starting to fall into place...

Welcome, Mortar!

Zhern
December 21st, 2016, 02:22
Updated progress. Working on the character sheet now. I'm going to attempt to make it look like the sheet in the book. Also, I'm trying to decide what to do with some of the alternate rules, such as alternate saving throws - death rays & poison, dragon's breath, wands, spells and saves, and turned to stone - or if I just provide the base rules with no alternative options. I think for the first release that will be the case and then I will explore providing options to allow the Referee to decide if they want to use alternate rules or not. It might be way more work than I'm willing to do in the long run. We'll see.

damned
December 21st, 2016, 02:54
Updated progress. Working on the character sheet now. I'm going to attempt to make it look like the sheet in the book. Also, I'm trying to decide what to do with some of the alternate rules, such as alternate saving throws - death rays & poison, dragon's breath, wands, spells and saves, and turned to stone - or if I just provide the base rules with no alternative options. I think for the first release that will be the case and then I will explore providing options to allow the Referee to decide if they want to use alternate rules or not. It might be way more work than I'm willing to do in the long run. We'll see.

If I were doing this I would code only the Core Rule - or - my favourite variant rule and later on I would consider adding optional methods....
Also.... as a little side project... Im writing a MoreCore BX extension.... :)

Zhern
December 21st, 2016, 02:58
If I were doing this I would code only the Core Rule - or - my favourite variant rule and later on I would consider adding optional methods....
Also.... as a little side project... Im writing a MoreCore BX extension.... :)

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, damned - just Core for now. I might consider doing an extension after I'm finished. Also, I like how you think, sir, with the BX extension!

vodokar
December 21st, 2016, 03:03
Awesome to hear things are going well, Zhern. I would stick to the core complete S&W rules first. Maybe add the optional stuff later.

Damned, I had been wondering, what is the Damned Basic Dungeon in your signature? Is that related to the BX project you just mentioned or something different?

Zhern
December 21st, 2016, 03:04
Nothing to see here, move along.

Zhern
December 23rd, 2016, 02:44
So I might have gotten distracted and couldn't let the libraries not work properly. They are now mapped and usable within the ruleset. Back to the character sheet and mechanics.

vodokar
December 23rd, 2016, 04:11
I totally know the feeling. I'm still plugging through unarmed attacks for AD&D, which I know is a feature that won't be used much, if at all, but just can't let it go until I know it's done best I can make it. Sucks to be a perfectionist sometimes.

BTW, don't be shy to share some of what your working on even if it's in a rough state still. I can tell you that I found the comments of my friends extremely helpful and inspiring.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 04:27
I totally know the feeling. I'm still plugging through unarmed attacks for AD&D, which I know is a feature that won't be used much, if at all, but just can't let it go until I know it's done best I can make it. Sucks to be a perfectionist sometimes.

BTW, don't be shy to share some of what your working on even if it's in a rough state still. I can tell you that I found the comments of my friends extremely helpful and inspiring.

Let it go man! Let it go!
Well actually - work on the stuff that excites you the most - although that leaves all the boring bits for the end...
Hmmm... just ignore me!

Zhern
December 23rd, 2016, 04:44
Let it go man! Let it go!
Well actually - work on the stuff that excites you the most - although that leaves all the boring bits for the end...
Hmmm... just ignore me!

Hah ha ha, I'm obsessing over a column not being wide enough to display "Rate of Fire," and my brain is zapped (guess it could be that I've been up since 5am, went to work, etc.) and I'm failing to wrap my head around the bounds used for the window and how to increase the width of the column. I should probably sleep.

Zhern
December 30th, 2016, 05:00
Updated with current progress.

vodokar
December 30th, 2016, 07:52
Looks like your making good progress. Awesome job.

Myrdin Potter
December 30th, 2016, 08:35
Will be ironic if original, basic and AD&D rulesets all show up around the same time.

:-)

Vackipleur
January 1st, 2017, 05:50
Will be ironic if original, basic and AD&D rulesets all show up around the same time.

:-)

Ironic but great too :)
I'm preparing the mega-dungeon Barrowmaze so I'll be happy with every classic D&D ruleset released.

Zhern
January 2nd, 2017, 05:58
Alright, here is the almost finished character sheet. I need to add the equipment slots that support drag & drop, make sure I have the attack rolls hooked up appropriately, the armor calculations hooked up, the saving throw roll and a few others hooked up, and then clean up the tabs. There won't be an abilities or skills tab but the rest will remain. I'm going to tackle the combat tracker and party sheet after that, followed by cleaning up the reference libraries and add a Referee supplement that covers playing the game, magical research and so on. After that, I'll add the bestiary. Once all that is done I'll be ready to let folks start fiddling with it and see what breaks, what I've missed, what errors exist in the references, etc. There is still a lot of work to do but I've made some good progress in the last few days.

Any feedback on the layout of the character sheet is appreciated (be gentle!).

S&W Character Sheet

Myrdin Potter
January 2nd, 2017, 06:20
What is the equipment section for on the front page when you have an inventory list and an action tab?

Zhern
January 2nd, 2017, 06:39
Worn equipment - armor/robe, equipped weapon melee/ranged, shield. The inventory will be contents of the backpack, pouches, etc. Action tab is going to be the spells tab. With S&W being as simple as it is, there isn't a need for actions on their own tab. I would like to see a tab-less sheet, but I haven't worked it out completely yet (but I have an idea of how I can do it).

vodokar
January 2nd, 2017, 07:41
Looking Good.

Varsuuk
January 2nd, 2017, 08:47
The sheet looks very attractive, neat, clean, yet striking. I have t played S&W (O kickstarted recent reprint + bought their pdf sale package) So I'm no expert but looked at it from AD&D point of view at least.

Zhern
January 2nd, 2017, 15:10
Thanks, I'll be looking for folks to start hammering on it sooner than later. If anyone is game, please let me know.

My wife is working on a few custom graphics for it too, so hopefully I'll be able to show some of that soon also.

Zhern
January 12th, 2017, 04:25
Status updated.

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 20:21
Just got my kickstarter pdf's. Wow. Everything looks outstanding. I think I'm falling in love with these Frog Gods.

Zhern
January 14th, 2017, 22:03
Their stuff is top notch. It will translate very easily into AD&D too. Check out the Tome of Adventure Design - that is one of the best books written for RPGs, imo.

vodokar
January 14th, 2017, 22:55
Already placed an order on Amazon for a Frog Worshiping Idol. ;)

Zhern
January 15th, 2017, 00:08
It is within everyone's best interest to worship Tsathogga!

Varsuuk
January 16th, 2017, 00:50
Just got my kickstarter pdf's. Wow. Everything looks outstanding. I think I'm falling in love with these Frog Gods.

Yeah, I got mine yesterday. Am currently reading the Hall of Bones adventure, had a good intro and first rooms have been very reminding of the old days.

Zhern
January 16th, 2017, 02:22
I've been feeling guilty all weekend because I haven't worked on the ruleset at all. That'll show me to actually take the weekend to do other stuff. Stupid brain. Anyway, yeah, the Frog God stuff is definitely top notch. I'm hoping to convert more of it after I'm able to release the S&W rules. We'll see, though, as I still need to email Smite Works about that. One thing at a time.

I think I've been too ambitious with the ruleset for my first time jumping into this. I've wanted to do everything the best way the first time. Maybe I should step back and not worry about complete optimization or having the cleanest code for the first release. I should be smarter about it and refine after I start getting feedback and it gets some use. There will inevitably be defects and as I address those I can also make small refinements. I wish I hadn't lost sight of that from the start. Oh well. Back to the Wheel of Woe.

vodokar
January 16th, 2017, 02:37
Set one goal every night. Achieve that. One step, one step. A trip of one thousand miles begins by but one step. You are doing just fine. Just stay focused on one thing at a time.

"Back to the Wheel of Woe"; sounds like an awesome title for an adventure.

Zhern
January 16th, 2017, 02:57
Yep, one thing at a time. I don't need to be in a rush. Thanks, buddy.

Varsuuk
January 17th, 2017, 02:26
Set one goal every night. Achieve that. One step, one step. A trip of one thousand miles begins by but one step. You are doing just fine. Just stay focused on one thing at a time.

"Back to the Wheel of Woe"; sounds like an awesome title for an adventure.

Or that thing young Conan was pushing around in a circle at the start of the movie ;)

Zhern
January 17th, 2017, 02:39
Points to Varsuuk!

Varsuuk
January 17th, 2017, 03:24
Points to Varsuuk!
Yeah, I thought so because I was like hearing Mako's voice as I read it. :)

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 01:47
I'm considering blaspheming against OD&D... I'm seriously thinking about making the descending AC to be 10 to -10 instead of 9 to -9, so that it matches ascending at starting from 10.

Myrdin Potter
January 20th, 2017, 01:50
No reason why the ruleset can't do it as long at the mechanics of 9 to -9 work.

damned
January 20th, 2017, 01:56
I'm considering blaspheming against OD&D... I'm seriously thinking about making the descending AC to be 10 to -10 instead of 9 to -9, so that it matches ascending at starting from 10.

I guess it really depends what you want from the ruleset. If you want it to be true to the old school rules you are using stick with 9s. If you dont mind do what pleases you. Ultimately it makes 0 difference.

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 02:11
I'm going to be true to OD&D. I was just being lazy.

damned
January 20th, 2017, 02:15
I'm going to be true to OD&D. I was just being lazy.

Ohhh Ive had that conversation with myself a million times already :)

vodokar
January 20th, 2017, 03:25
Stay True, Bro.

If we want to play D&D that picks and matches "all the best from every edition", that is 5e.

Not every mechanic of old style D&D may be the best way, but it doesn't matter, stay true to how it was. That's the point. That IS the point. I struggled thru the grappling system, you can do 9 to -9.

Varsuuk
January 20th, 2017, 03:26
I grew up on -10 to 10 ... so there!

Although, I think -4 or -5? was as far as I ever got at my best.

vodokar
January 20th, 2017, 03:32
I guess it really depends what you want from the ruleset. If you want it to be true to the old school rules you are using stick with 9s. If you dont mind do what pleases you. Ultimately it makes 0 difference.

Actually, it makes difference of 1. 10 - 9 = 1. "Runs away before getting smacked." ;)

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 03:34
Haha, yes, it does make a difference of 1. And yeah, I'm staying true to it. I was looking at the combat code and was thinking it would be so much easier if they matched up but I couldn't bring myself to even try changing it.

vodokar
January 20th, 2017, 03:42
Actually, in all seriousness, you will want the ruleset to be compatible with other old school variants, for reasons I've already discussed with you, so what I would do is simply put a check for AC 10 and morph it into AC 9 on the fly. Not sure if you need to extend that to morphing the rest; it depends on how the S&W bestiary AC values match up. But, regardless, it should be simple to do AC = AC - 1 in the defense function of the combat code.

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 03:47
The AC values match up well enough in the bestiary. I also think I have changed my mind not to support ascending armor class, only descending. My bout of laziness was from not wanting to deal with both, which despite being easy enough, is a bit tedious.

vodokar
January 20th, 2017, 03:59
You could simply handle it like I did for npc's, where on the surface, it reports both AAC and DAC (auto-calculating and tied together), but the engine only actually uses DAC. That was very simple to do.

I see no benefit at all to actually coding the combat code for both systems.

Zhern
January 20th, 2017, 04:11
Yeah, I'll take a look at what you did. I decided to start on multiclass support tonight instead of working on combat.

inawkwardscience
January 24th, 2017, 02:27
I can't wait to see your end results!

Zhern
January 24th, 2017, 02:28
Thanks. I'm still chugging away at it. I don't have an ETA yet other than "soon." I'll try to remember to snag some screenshots and post them soon.

inawkwardscience
January 24th, 2017, 02:31
Screenshots would be awesome! This would be perfect for a "Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures" campaign way down the road.

Zhern
February 1st, 2017, 19:34
I'm due to put up another update. I'll try to do that by the weekend. I've been working on some of the automation and also on combat. It feels like I still have a lot more to go but I'm getting there.

inawkwardscience
February 1st, 2017, 20:38
I cant imagine the work involved in this. I wish that I knew enough to help.

vodokar
February 2nd, 2017, 03:57
Believe it or not, gaining the knowledge is the easiest part. The hard part: sitting there in front of your computer for 400 plus hours completing the project.

Props to anyone with that kind of dedication. Keep in mind, community developers are not employees of Smiteworks. We don't get paid for this. It's worse than a waitress in a restaurant; at least some people remember to tip them for their hard work, but a community developer; more often than not is just taken for granted.

vodokar
February 4th, 2017, 20:30
I just got a bunch of S & W stuff from the kickstarter today. Locked and Loaded for when the ruleset comes. No pressure.

Zhern
February 4th, 2017, 21:05
Haha, no pressure at all!

Zhern
February 7th, 2017, 03:40
My giant box of S&W loot arrived today too. No pressure there too. Tonight is the first chance I've had to work on the ruleset in almost a week. I should have left myself a note about what I was working on last, lol. Thank goodness for github.

vodokar
February 7th, 2017, 05:02
If you hear a knock on your door, it's just the local orc tribe stopping by to give you "motivation". ;)

Zhern
February 7th, 2017, 12:34
For some reason I'm reminded of Blazing Saddles and the candy gram scene - Orcs at the door, knocking, saying "candy gram..."

Varsuuk
February 7th, 2017, 13:13
If you hear a knock on your door, it's just the local orc tribe stopping by to give you "motivation". ;)

"Zug, Zug!"

Talyn
February 7th, 2017, 18:47
Hey, Zhern if I manage to get a free spot in my queue I'm thinking of doing a C&C version of Hall of Bones (Free RPG Day adventure for S&W) for my players not for the store (obviously but how sweet would that be if Frog God would do C&C stuff?) but if I do, would you be interested in that to plug in the S&W stats as a free adventure for people who get your ruleset?

Zhern
February 7th, 2017, 20:15
Talyn - definitely! Appreciate you offering that.

vodokar
February 7th, 2017, 23:50
If you do that, Talyn, please don't forget to add the AD&D ruleset to the definition file. It is compatible with the C&C ruleset by design.

Trenloe
February 7th, 2017, 23:52
If you do that, Talyn, please don't forget to add the AD&D ruleset to the definition file. It is compatible with the C&C ruleset by design.
He doesn't need to - you've got <importfrom> set in the base.xml of the AD&D ruleset which allows it to open modules for C&C.

From the latest AD&D PAK file:

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="Castles_and_Crusades" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="Castles and Crusades" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="AD&D" />
</importinfo>

vodokar
February 7th, 2017, 23:54
/emote facepalm. Yeah, knew there was something I forgot. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Talyn
February 8th, 2017, 01:30
But this is for Swords & Wizardry... is Zhern layering that over C&C too?

Zhern
February 8th, 2017, 01:47
I'm not layering on the C&C ruleset. I built off of 3.5, but vodokar has an idea that he can detail more for you that goes along with his request.

vodokar
February 8th, 2017, 02:01
Yeah. I was just saying that that is one module I wanted to convert. As you are already planning it, it is good. If your doing the conversion into C&C, it will also work with my ruleset with no extra work. What Zhern is saying, however, is that I had been discussing with him about methods to make modules that would also be compatible with his as well. We'll need to wait till he gets closer to being finished in order to get some specs from him to be able to work that out. Basically, what I am trying to do is to get all the developers of the old school rulesets to coordinate so that we can make it easy to support each others rulesets.

Bardiccollege
February 13th, 2017, 03:42
Hi all,
I just joined fantasy grounds, huge Frog God fan, I am really looking forward to this projects success. If there is anything I can do to help in my off time I will. Just PM me.

Zhern
February 13th, 2017, 03:57
Welcome, Bardiccollege! I'm still working on it and hope to have something out "soon" for playtesting. Thanks, appreciate that!

Zhern
February 14th, 2017, 16:27
So I realized last night that I'm actually closer than I thought I would be to being done with the initial ruleset. There is still quite a bit left to go but I'm definitely on the downhill part of the work.

vodokar
February 14th, 2017, 23:53
Knock Knock. "Candy Gram!" (or should that be: Kandi Garram! in Orcish?)

Zhern
February 15th, 2017, 01:58
Can't answer - working on S&W!

vodokar
February 15th, 2017, 04:24
You are quietly serenaded by several orcs praising your efforts and singing songs of their coming victories. Unfortunately, they ate all the candy.

Varsuuk
February 19th, 2017, 05:11
Knock. Knock. "Pizza Delivery!"

Zhern
March 12th, 2017, 00:17
Work has temporarily gone on hiatus on this. Right now I'm too busy with work and finishing my last semester of grad school. Additionally, Frog God has me working on something else at the moment. I'll get back to it in a few weeks (maybe even next week).

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2017, 03:33
Did you ever thing at this point in your life that you'd be serving a "Frog God's" orders... hmmm ;)

Zhern
March 12th, 2017, 04:34
I am but a puppet on the strings of Tsathoggua!

vodokar
March 12th, 2017, 05:13
Do followers of Tsathoggua listen to Hip Hop music?

Zhern
March 12th, 2017, 05:33
Haha, this one doesn't. I'm not sure about the other followers, though.

Holy_Rage
April 21st, 2017, 23:00
Old grognard here too and S&W player! By the Frog God's Monastery in Rappan Athuk wilderness, hip hop is for the youth. More like psychedelic rock over here :D

Vodokar, your idea of streamlining all old school rulesets is brilliant! This would be something to behold.

vodokar
April 21st, 2017, 23:17
Thank, Holy_Rage.

It is a project that I am still trying to push for with regards to being able to make modules usable in the many old school rulesets simultaneously and also for creating shared resources, such as a common bestiary that contains the stats for all of them etc. I got sidetracked from making the modules, partly because SmiteWorks hasn't decided yet if they want to publish old school modules, partly because I only have so much time and have been attending to other projects at the moment, and partly because I'm waiting for the designers of some of the other rulesets to get their products out, but, the projects are still on my to do list.

Zhern
April 29th, 2017, 02:10
Just a quick update - I've put the development of this on hold for a short period of time. I'm busy with other Frog business at the moment. I will get back to it as soon as I can.

primarch
June 13th, 2017, 22:26
Hi!

Any update on this ruleset?

Or still attending to Frog God commitments?

Primarch

Zhern
June 14th, 2017, 03:44
Yeah, still working on Frog God stuff. I'm hoping to get back to it this month and finish it out.

Holy_Rage
June 15th, 2017, 16:12
Yay, that's fantastic news!

Myrdin Potter
June 20th, 2017, 16:25
I am looking forward to the ruleset as well. And I know how big the project he is finishing off as well, and I am sure he is glad it is ending soon.

primarch
July 28th, 2017, 22:29
Hi!

Update?

Primarch

Zhern
July 29th, 2017, 02:02
Oof. I've not had time to pick it back up. I got tagged with something different by the Frog God. I'm looking at having a friend pick it up and finish it out.

JohnD
July 29th, 2017, 04:02
Oof. I've not had time to pick it back up. I got tagged with something different by the Frog God. I'm looking at having a friend pick it up and finish it out.

If it is what I think it is, it will be amazing and a great seller. :)

Varsuuk
July 29th, 2017, 04:25
Maps? ;)

primarch
July 30th, 2017, 18:27
Hi!

No worries, thanks for the effort! :)

Primarch

Zhern
August 21st, 2017, 21:19
Alright, it has been awhile, so a bit of a status. I've made no progress, heh. I'm running the current Quests of Doom Kickstarter by Frog God at the moment, working on some of the Rappan Athuk 5 bits, preparing for Tome of Horrors 5e, and writing part of the adventure path for our next major project. Add that on top of my day job and deciding I needed another masters degree (this time in data analytics) after having just completed one, I haven't had time to do much else. I did pull the code from my GIT repository yesterday and have pulled up what I was last working on so I plan to get back to it. It will be a welcome break from all the other stuff going on. I have been mulling some stuff over in my head about how I had approached it previously and think I might take a stab at it from a different angle, especially after seeing the enhancements that leozelig has made with the DCC ruleset. That won't happen till I finish what I've already started, though.

Myrdin Potter
August 21st, 2017, 21:35
Happy to hear progress will resume.

primarch
August 23rd, 2017, 00:59
Hi!

Thanks for investing your time in this!

I for one am waiting for it to be ready to launch a Rappan Athuk S&W campaign. :)

Primarch

Szabtom
August 26th, 2017, 11:07
Thanks for sharing the update and for the work you are doing on the ruleset!

primarch
October 5th, 2017, 03:38
Hi!

Any recent update on the ruleset?

Primarch

Zhern
October 5th, 2017, 13:32
No recent update. I had a brief 6 or so hours during which I started working on it again and since then I haven't had a chance to get to it. I'm finishing off the work for the Quests of Doom 4 Kickstarter then I have a ton of stuff to finish up for Rappan Athuk 5e and Tome of Horrors 5e prior to the Kickstarters for those. I've pulled in a few additional people to work on some of those pieces and I am hopeful that doing so will free me up to work on the ruleset. Trust me, I'd love to finish it and release it so it can be used and enjoyed on FG.

primarch
October 6th, 2017, 03:30
Hi!

Thank you sir, I await it with great enthusiasm. :)

Primarch

Holy_Rage
October 7th, 2017, 22:35
Much obliged, sir. Looking forward to it myself :)

Sevatas
November 18th, 2017, 20:06
If you are interested in getting some help with development, I'm an avid S&W fan with many years of development experience. We can collaborate code changes on BitBucket (accounts are free).

Bidmaron
November 18th, 2017, 21:29
Welcome to the boards, Sevatas.

Holy_Rage
November 20th, 2017, 16:06
Welcome to the boards, Sevatas. That's some fantastic news, can't wait to see what will come out of this!

primarch
February 14th, 2018, 01:59
Hi!

Any update on this?

Primarch

JohnD
February 14th, 2018, 02:49
It wouldn't surprise me if Zhern wasn't busy with all the Frog Gods work on their Kickstarter(s).

Zhern
February 15th, 2018, 12:54
JohnD is correct. I've been busy with work on Tome of Horrors 5 and Rappan Athuk V. We've had discussions with a community dev to work on the S&W ruleset but nothing has been finalized yet. More to come.

JohnD
February 15th, 2018, 15:37
JohnD is correct.

The wife will never believe it!

Trenloe
February 15th, 2018, 15:43
The wife will never believe it!
Neither do I!!!

;-)

primarch
April 15th, 2018, 21:45
Hi!

Any news on this rule set?

Primarch

StylinLP38
September 14th, 2018, 18:10
Patrick of 5th Edition Frog @ Frog God Games. I read through this thread and heard that Celestian from FG fan base was going to work on this rule set. But it seems that everyone is too busy lately. I was considering purchasing all the S&W campaign set and modules from Frog God games to run a campaign with Wizards Amulet and or Barakus. Then the rest of the modules until my players completed them all. I noticed that these modules come in two formats. Pathfinder and S&W.
After reviewing S&W it seems to be very easy to convert those modules in S&W to 1st or 2nd Edition D&D. Celestian has an active well developed AD&D ruleset on here already. If there was a S&W ruleset on FG I would not have to convert anything. But since there is not I was thinking of using Celestian's AD&D ruleset with these modules.

Question: I see Frog Gods is working on alot of stuff lately and one of those things is coming out with a full campaign for the The Lost Lands and Bards Gate. Is there plans to release all these modules and campaign setting for another ruleset? Like 5e?

Zhern
September 14th, 2018, 19:26
The Lost Lands Campaign Setting will be system neutral. Bard's Gate is already available in 5E. The focus for content going forward is mostly going to be S&W and 5E for Frog God.

primarch
February 5th, 2019, 03:47
Hi!

I'm guessing this project will go no further?

yeknom
March 8th, 2020, 14:19
Is there any news on this? I'd like to have an FG version of Swords and Wizardry.

LordEntrails
March 8th, 2020, 21:13
Is there any news on this? I'd like to have an FG version of Swords and Wizardry.
As mentioned in the other thread you asked this question; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44344-Swords-amp-Wizardry-Rules-quot-expert-quot&p=479529&viewfull=1#post479529

The only news is that their is no longer currently an effort to create a dedicated ruleset for this game.

yeknom
March 9th, 2020, 05:31
No worries. I mentioned it in both threads because I thought it was two different developers, so I thought I needed to mention it in each one.

damned
March 9th, 2020, 08:24
As mentioned in the other thread you asked this question; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44344-Swords-amp-Wizardry-Rules-quot-expert-quot&p=479529&viewfull=1#post479529

The only news is that their is no longer currently an effort to create a dedicated ruleset for this game.

I believe one Varsuuk is actually working this project still but he doesnt talk about it...

Varsuuk
March 9th, 2020, 20:38
I believe one Varsuuk is actually working this project still but he doesnt talk about it...

Mainly because I cannot promise I will ever complete it. I am trying as I get time to learn enough as I slowly put pieces together. But this sort of code is very unlike what I am used to working with (C++ and these days, Java OOP) and I keep going down rabbit holes because I do NOT want to copy everything and modify what need. Be that as it may as the "best" way to get to where you are going fast - it will result in a fragile system I don't even understand. So I need to grok on the way.

I've been contacted by FGG when they got wind as well as others but my trepidation is why I will never write myself down as working on it unless I see the end in certain future sight. I'd love to have the major parts down so I could predict. But my work is sporadic and usually very late night or commute to work (30 mins usually free for it) only. My real job (and family) takes up a lot of my time.

I keep saying it, I will do this without giving up even if someone else starts one - because it is a challenge and labor of love now. BUT I really hope someone with SKILLZ like Celestian takes it up so I can play using it too :) (much sooner)

Right now I am tackling understanding the various Effects callbacks and confused on how the "nInit" (with Start and Stop callbacks) is being use or potentially intended to be used.

EDIT
PS: Happen to be home sick today (wasted 3 days asleep 18-21 hours a day :( ) but awake, so I am working on it while waiting for son to get home and then I help him with homework until my C&C game tonight. May code again after game since I've had so much sleep lately and Im working from home on TeamA/B rotation this week (critical team attempt to prevent whole group getting covid19 at once and knocking out a section of Nasdaq support/dev at once)

Myrdin Potter
March 12th, 2020, 15:29
Trust me, I push him every week when he plays in one of the games I run. :-)

yeknom
March 13th, 2020, 06:09
This is something I'll keep an eye on. I'll happily buy it if/when it comes out.

primarch
September 19th, 2020, 23:06
Hi!

Any update on a potential S&W rule set? Its the one product I'd buy immediately. :)

Primarch

Randy Crockett
December 27th, 2020, 22:18
Curious...Is this ever going to happen?? By anyone??

ransolot
December 28th, 2020, 03:27
While it's not a carbon copy of the rulebook, I've made a module in MoreCore that has all the mechanics in it over on this thread for anyone waiting to get something until we get the full FG ruleset (I know I'm ready to buy one!)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64563-Swords-and-Wizardry-Module

damned
December 28th, 2020, 04:12
Curious...Is this ever going to happen?? By anyone??

Nothing happens if someone doesnt do it.

Randy Crockett
December 28th, 2020, 07:30
Nothing happens if someone doesnt do it.

Believe me, I would if I had any idea as to how.