PDA

View Full Version : Best Patrice Around Journal Entry In Fantasy Grounds

Azazel
December 5th, 2016, 16:12
Has anyone tried to keep track of all the events the players did w/o having to modify the module itself? I want to keep the module information clean, but have a way of keep track of each sessions events and player actions. Has anyone found a organized way to do this?

I really wish there was a another story like section just called "Journals" where it was treated just like the stories but separate from that list.

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2016, 16:17
You have three options. Create a story entry, called Journal. Use notes (but not recommended for the DM side - use story instead). Or you can use the in built Calendar function to keep a journal.

JohnD
December 5th, 2016, 17:15
I tried to keep a running history as the DM, but it is eventually too much added on to the already heavier bundle of running four games. So, I offered to my players that if they want to submit journal entries in character, I will add them and award bonus XP. Only one player has taken me up on the offer across my games though, so I guess I was the only one seeing added value in maintaining a campaign history.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2016, 17:28
Create a new group called "Journal" and create story records in that group - one story record for each session if you want to track by session, or one per adventure chapter, or one per adventure area/location, or... it's up to you.

LordEntrails
December 5th, 2016, 18:05
I think this is what Notes originally was created for, but Story entries have better functionality so as others have suggested, I would use Story entries.

I try to keep such records, but I'm lax about it and my players even more so.

Nickademus
December 5th, 2016, 18:16
If it is just you adding the entries, I would use the calendar. It will keep things sorted by the day and out of the way.

Callum
December 5th, 2016, 20:22
I just rename the html chatlog after each session, adding the date, and then keep all those. I also copy-and-paste the text from each one into a Word document, tidy it up (taking out the GM-only info), and make these available to the players as session logs.

fabiocm
December 6th, 2016, 17:23
I'm using the calendar and it's working well.

damned
December 6th, 2016, 21:47
The great advantage with the Calendar is the ability to break events into the time they ocurred - the downside of course being that only the GM can add/edit at the moment.

Nickademus
December 6th, 2016, 22:08
at the moment.

... *foreshadowing*

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 22:32
You can also use this extension to export calendar log entries, and the XSL in post #3 to make it look nice: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18043-Feature-Request-Export-Calendar-Entries&p=141057&viewfull=1#post141057