PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Maps - why are they usually inside PDF packaging vs. some graphic format?

Varsuuk
December 4th, 2016, 20:02
Please excuse my ignorance, I am sure there is a good reason - like it's in some format inside the PDF that allows you to use a tool like GIMP or PS or ADOBE to extract it to different resolutions? where if you gave a PDF or PNG or whatever, it would be fixed and you would lose data converting?

Dunno, just seemed odd to me. For example, Mike Schley's FR map has a JPG with some labels in one file then a bunch of "portions" of the map 1 per PDF page with just the land map itself.

Curious basically, I have extracted these in past - but wanted to know the pro of it.

damned
December 4th, 2016, 22:15
I believe many map makers are still mostly designing for in person gaming and publishing in PDF is easier to ensure everything prints at the intended scale.

Varsuuk
December 5th, 2016, 16:08
Ok, that makes sense. Was wondering if was something technical I didn't get.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2016, 17:13
Yep, it's entirely up to the artist/cartographer how they produce their files, and a lot are aiming at print-and-play solutions - as there are still a lot of people who don't know about VTT's or know little about the graphical requirements (which can vary and get confusing - just look at the amount of posts we have on these forums regarding file sizes, resolutions, etc.).

For example, Kris McDermott did a very cool map Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-themed-boards-with-connecting-paths-for-r) recently, but wasn't initially offering any digital files other than PDFs. But, due to some comments/communication from various community members (championed by Myrdin Potter), Kris was very willing to work with us to provide graphical files outside of the PDFs. This resulted in Kris providing a new product (VTT version) which is available here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199578/MEANDERS-SynchableTerrain-Maps-MegaPack (See the bottom of the description for those who helped Kris produce this). Discussions on this forum here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34902-Very-cool-map-Kiskstarter-finishing-soon-great-VTT-maps

Jay_NOLA
December 9th, 2016, 18:21
One reason that wasn't mentioned is image file size. The actual image size may be much larger than what is in the PDF. For example in the Godbound RPG one world map that takes up a page in the PDF is nearly 300MB in size. The publisher made all the raw maps art, maps, etc. as a separate download.

The large image sizes could be a problem for some to download and even keep on a computer.

One other reason is that some map makers may not want to have the raw image, map making software files released as they don't want the art being modified.

A few publishers have made the map file image or software files available. I've got CC2/CC3, Hexographer, etc. files for a few RPG products maps. Some will even send you the image file if you ask them and they have it.

One other thing to also take into account is that some designers combine multiple software when making a map. Example they make a hex map in Hexographer, do the coast lines in Photoshop and combine the exported Hexographer map with the Photoshop coastline one.