PDA

View Full Version : Savage worlds: War of the Dead LF3P

tiltingtables
December 4th, 2016, 19:44
Description: War of the Dead is a campaign that takes your character from the first stages of the zombie outbreak and into a world forever changed. The normal rules of society, law, order, and decency are out the window. Gone. Forget about them. Luxury isn’t a good movie, a new video game, or finally affording that dream home. It’s being able to fall asleep at night, managing to wakeup the next morning, and having survived another day without becoming a Living Dead. It’s being able to find food enough to keep you moving throughout the day, or something to burn to keep warm when the nights get cold. Welcome to the war for survival . . . the War of the Dead.
Genre: horror
Ruleset: / Setting Savage Worlds / War of the Dead
Starting level: 0
Played: Weekly on Sundays 7pm GMT
Session Length:2-3 hours
Comms: Discord
player needed:4(1) also need to be reliable and willing to commit.
Calendar link www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2286

Am Looking forward to see who is brave enough to take on the walking dead.

Hermundure
December 8th, 2016, 08:06
Hmmm.... One week passed and not a single person applied - instead of me :-p

Personally I never played it but this "Savage Worlds" ruleset seems to be not popular on FG, or is "War of the Dead" an adventure from the lower end of the spectrum and not very liked?
I really wonder because usually games fill fast and as tiltigtables said this is the fourth or fifth time he tried and failed to set up a game on FG after he transitioned from Roll20.
Either no one applies - like now - or the people who enlisted simply dont show up - last Sunday I was the only one out of 4 or 5 who were there.

So come on in, we dont want a new GM to vaporate off to Roll20 again, do we? ;-p

Yonjaime
December 8th, 2016, 09:01
Hi!!

I guess I am far from what you are looking for, but in any case I will give it a shot. I am really new to FG, I have been thinking about purchasing it and I have been doing a lot of reading about it. I have a demo license, obviously, and I want to see firsthand how FG works. Moreover, I have never played Savage Worlds. I have no clue how it works, but I am willing to learn..actually I would love to learn how to play it. Finally...I cannot compromise to play in January - beginning of February, as my uni exams fall into these dates. So to sum up:

Cons:

Reliable: only in December, later on until mid-February I would not be able to join.
FG experience: absolute newbie. I only have a demo license.
Savage World experience: none at all.

Pros:

100% committance in December.
Very willing to learn and adapt to whatever you want to do.
I do not mind playing text, voice or whatever. For voice I have Skype, but I am willing to install any other free software if required.
I have experience in other pen & paper games (D&D and Call of Cthulhu mainly)

Shall I sign up in the calendar (never done it before, as I have said before: I have no clue how everything works here :))

tiltingtables
December 8th, 2016, 09:27
Hi!!

I guess I am far from what you are looking for, but in any case I will give it a shot. I am really new to FG, I have been thinking about purchasing it and I have been doing a lot of reading about it. I have a demo license, obviously, and I want to see firsthand how FG works. Moreover, I have never played Savage Worlds. I have no clue how it works, but I am willing to learn..actually I would love to learn how to play it. Finally...I cannot compromise to play in January - beginning of February, as my uni exams fall into these dates. So to sum up:

Cons:

Reliable: only in December, later on until mid-February I would not be able to join.
FG experience: absolute newbie. I only have a demo license.
Savage World experience: none at all.

Pros:

100% committance in December.
Very willing to learn and adapt to whatever you want to do.
I do not mind playing text, voice or whatever. For voice I have Skype, but I am willing to install any other free software if required.
I have experience in other pen & paper games (D&D and Call of Cthulhu mainly)

Shall I sign up in the calendar (never done it before, as I have said before: I have no clue how everything works here :))

Pleas sign up on the calendar. Thank you.

damned
December 8th, 2016, 10:28
Hi tiltingtables here are some things you might consider.

If you were running 5e your game would fill very quickly. You are not and I am not encouraging you to do so. I like seeing all the other game systems and genres being played. They do however often take longer to get going than other systems. When I run something different (different to 5e) I will set a start date and time and I will run it at the time advertised even if it is only for 2 players. I will then post a recap after each session and state I am looking for one more player. Ill have a pre-gen available (or an abandoned character) so a new player can just start and start straight away. You might find that there are only a handful of people looking to play WotD at any one time and they may not visit here when you are advertising or they may not be available straight away. WotD is an easy adventure to kill off departing characters (players) and introduce new ones. Its a game that could easily run for 2 years so you will have attrition no matter what. Have one player keep notes every session and share them back to the group. Maybe enter them in the Calendar. This will help newcomers and will help you post your recaps. Your recaps will both attract new players as they see the fun you are having and they will keep bringing your game back to the top of the top of the list once a week.

Dont get disillusioned. Sometimes its just timing. Sometimes it just takes time. Start playing and have some fun with it. Oh - on the time thing - calculate the time out to PST, MST, CST, EST, and AEST and post those times too... some people just cant work it out themselves... :)

Hector Trelane
December 9th, 2016, 03:54
Hi tiltingtables here are some things you might consider.

If you were running 5e your game would fill very quickly. You are not and I am not encouraging you to do so. I like seeing all the other game systems and genres being played. They do however often take longer to get going than other systems. When I run something different (different to 5e) I will set a start date and time and I will run it at the time advertised even if it is only for 2 players. I will then post a recap after each session and state I am looking for one more player. Ill have a pre-gen available (or an abandoned character) so a new player can just start and start straight away. You might find that there are only a handful of people looking to play WotD at any one time and they may not visit here when you are advertising or they may not be available straight away. WotD is an easy adventure to kill off departing characters (players) and introduce new ones. Its a game that could easily run for 2 years so you will have attrition no matter what. Have one player keep notes every session and share them back to the group. Maybe enter them in the Calendar. This will help newcomers and will help you post your recaps. Your recaps will both attract new players as they see the fun you are having and they will keep bringing your game back to the top of the top of the list once a week.

Dont get disillusioned. Sometimes its just timing. Sometimes it just takes time. Start playing and have some fun with it. Oh - on the time thing - calculate the time out to PST, MST, CST, EST, and AEST and post those times too... some people just cant work it out themselves... :)

Good advice from damned, as usual.

tiltingtables, I can't do that time, and weekly is unrealistic for my family schedule, but War of the Dead has been on my wish list to play for some time. Perhaps if you run a game during FGDaze or FGCon I can join?

damned
December 9th, 2016, 10:56
ianmward ran a War of the Dead one shot at FG Con one year.

Aggromal
December 9th, 2016, 13:39
I know that a lot of people get intimidated here when people try to start up games with rulesets that aren't 5e, 3.5 or PF. It's hard to be the guy that shows up and doesn't really understand the way the system works. That said, if you're newbie friendly, I'd be interested in expanding my catalog of rulesets to include Savage Worlds, because it has been on my list to play.

Gertak
December 9th, 2016, 14:46
I do not have the Savage Worlds ruleset books, in actual or digital, but I am more than happy to explain the ruleset to you sometime Aggromal. I sent a PM about joining the game, if we both get in I'd even be happy to give you a tutorial if Tilting will put up his server sometime. I've only played Savage Worlds for about 3 campaigns so I'm not a master but I can certainly bring you up to a pretty good understanding if you'd like.

Hermundure
December 9th, 2016, 14:50
I do not have the Savage Worlds ruleset books, in actual or digital, but I am more than happy to explain the ruleset to you sometime Aggromal. I sent a PM about joining the game, if we both get in I'd even be happy to give you a tutorial if Tilting will put up his server sometime. I've only played Savage Worlds for about 3 campaigns so I'm not a master but I can certainly bring you up to a pretty good understanding if you'd like.

Thats the spirit!
I would like to participate as I am totally new to all of this also.
I own the savage world modules and wotd so if tilting is busy I can fire up a server for training also!

Aggromal
December 9th, 2016, 15:48

I'd be more than happy to do something like that. I catch on quick and if I have at least a basic understanding of what's going on, I'll be able to pick the rest up as we go.

Gman93
December 9th, 2016, 17:57
Hey if this game is still going on, I'm interested in playing

Hector Trelane
December 9th, 2016, 19:43
I'd be more than happy to do something like that. I catch on quick and if I have at least a basic understanding of what's going on, I'll be able to pick the rest up as we go.

In addition to Gertak's tutorial, you can learn the basics here with the free quick-start version of Savage Worlds (90 percent of what you need to know): https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/TD06.pdf

Hermundure
December 11th, 2016, 18:04
Tilting when do you plan to start the server?
I just try to enter since minutes but it dont work.

Are the login names still the same?

tiltingtables
December 11th, 2016, 18:19
Tilting when do you plan to start the server?
I just try to enter since minutes but it dont work.

Are the login names still the same?

sorry was checking out the nes mini have just opened the game now.

Hermundure
December 11th, 2016, 18:32
It says I can not connect to the host :-(

Are the other 3 there?

Aggromal
December 11th, 2016, 18:34
It says I can not connect to the host :-(

Are the other 3 there?

I'm also unable to connect

Hermundure
December 11th, 2016, 18:40
Looks like our DM tooks flight from us Aggro ;-p

Aggromal
December 11th, 2016, 18:46
Looks like our DM tooks flight from us Aggro ;-p

Try again, I'm in now

Hermundure
December 11th, 2016, 18:54
Hmm... No, it doesnt work :-(

I got: vibrant turtle cracked thief

Is this right?

Aggromal
December 11th, 2016, 18:57
Hmm... No, it doesnt work :-(

I got: vibrant turtle cracked thief

Is this right?

That is correct

Gman93
December 11th, 2016, 19:07
For some reason I can't connect

tiltingtables
December 11th, 2016, 22:25
For some reason I can't connect

The other players had the same problem. They eventually mad it on though. They were constantly have to reconnect during game as well. Sorry about that. Please do join us next week can really do with a fourth player.

damned
December 11th, 2016, 23:07
The other players had the same problem. They eventually mad it on though. They were constantly have to reconnect during game as well. Sorry about that. Please do join us next week can really do with a fourth player.

what country are you in tiltingtables?

Aggromal
December 12th, 2016, 00:50

Especially since a certain player has a phobia of the major antagonists

Varsuuk
December 12th, 2016, 07:02

LOL ... that is problematic!

I wish I could play, but midday Sunday just won't work for me with a family :(
(I'm in EST, so -5 hours)

Was JUST the campaign I wanted to try - a WoD one in SW.

tiltingtables
December 12th, 2016, 09:15
what country are you in tiltingtables?

I'm from the uk.

tiltingtables
December 12th, 2016, 09:17

But having this phobia goes well with your survivalist background.

Hermundure
December 12th, 2016, 17:35
Gnihi, it was a really nice first session, even though language wise it was super hard for me to understand the GMs dialect (some sentences has just been ONE long word in my ears, hehe).
Eventually I was able to keep up and we are not THAT far into the adventure because we created the characters up front.
We pretty much just faced our first undead and brought him down so its plenty of opportunity for new players to get in.

Come in, come in, we are a funny bunch already :-)

Hermundure
December 16th, 2016, 09:58
Tilting did you read my discord posting a few days ago?
Which method would you prefer?

I am fine with all three, its yours to decide, hehe.

tiltingtables
December 18th, 2016, 11:49
Tilting did you read my discord posting a few days ago?
Which method would you prefer?

I am fine with all three, its yours to decide, hehe.

unfortunately i can't christmas day for a game, due to it being christmas. you can always catch us on our next session.

Hermundure
December 18th, 2016, 16:48
Ok, I grab you at the next date.
Have fun all and dont get eaten! :-)

tiltingtables
December 18th, 2016, 16:52
Hi to all that are playing tonight. I know this is short notice but tonights game is canceled due to an un expected early arrival of my nephew. i'm willing to change the day to any this week except tuesday and the game will be played at the usual time. Ps let me know what days you can make it. Sorry again guys but i'm a family man and family always comes first. Sorry again.

Aggromal
December 18th, 2016, 17:19
I get that, no worries. The only day I'd be available this week would be tomorrow. I'm flying home on Wednesday for 2 weeks for the holidays and I won't really be able to play from there.

Frost Globe
December 18th, 2016, 18:52
I will only be available on Friday or the weekend.

tiltingtables
December 31st, 2016, 10:18
To all that are playing tomorrow nights game is a go. Let me know if you can make it please. Thanking you.

Hermundure
December 31st, 2016, 21:48
Hey Tilting! I will be there, when do you plan on starting tomorrow?

JohnD
December 31st, 2016, 23:39
The beauty of this setting, and the genre in general is that you can start with just a small group of 1-3 survivors and naturally add more people as you get going. :)

tiltingtables
January 1st, 2017, 11:25
Hey Tilting! I will be there, when do you plan on starting tomorrow?

It will be 7pm united kingdom time

tiltingtables
January 1st, 2017, 11:26
The beauty of this setting, and the genre in general is that you can start with just a small group of 1-3 survivors and naturally add more people as you get going. :)

It's true i'm really enjoying it at the moment if it goes well i'll definately start it with another group.

Hermundure
January 1st, 2017, 19:09
Tilting have you cancelled the game for today?
Trying to join the server for 15 mins and you are not on TS also :-(

tiltingtables
January 1st, 2017, 19:17
Tilting have you cancelled the game for today?
Trying to join the server for 15 mins and you are not on TS also :-(

I'm trying to get on but my computer is crashing every time i try to load fantasy grounds am currently trying sort that out. It was working fine earlier this morning. Will try downloading and installing again.

Hermundure
January 1st, 2017, 19:20
Thats strange :-(

Hermundure
January 1st, 2017, 19:30
Dont be hectic about this, concerning that our only other player Rannus1 is completely new to FG and SW as he wrote in the calendar, he will need some time in creating his character also.
I am on a pretty tight shedule for today and could just play for 2 hours from 7.00 to 9.00 so there wont be much gaming time left after running Rannus thrugh the creation process I guess.

Maybe we should get him all-set up and explained for the next session next sunday and continue from there.

tiltingtables
January 1st, 2017, 19:39
Dont be hectic about this, concerning that our only other player Rannus1 is completely new to FG and SW as he wrote in the calendar, he will need some time in creating his character also.
I am on a pretty tight shedule for today and could just play for 2 hours from 7.00 to 9.00 so there wont be much gaming time left after running Rannus thrugh the creation process I guess.

Maybe we should get him all-set up and explained for the next session next sunday and continue from there.

Will have to re-schedule as i'm going to have to re-set my computer it wasn't fantasy grounds it my laptop playing up. Sorry

Hermundure
January 1st, 2017, 19:48
Its no problem Tilting!
Hopefully we get some more players until next time also :-)

Aggromal
January 2nd, 2017, 21:03
I'll be back from my trip this week and available for play next Sunday

Hermundure
January 2nd, 2017, 23:17
I will be there next sunday also!

Hermundure
January 15th, 2017, 17:58
Hi all!

Is our game going this sunday?

Hermundure
January 15th, 2017, 20:45
I guess thats a "no" .-)

Wookiee420
January 21st, 2017, 07:23
id love to join if spots open

Hermundure
January 21st, 2017, 10:11
You can have my spot if the game continues to run somewhen.

With so little free time at hand I often need to be a bit creative when it comes to free some time for a rpg session.
If the session then runs later than planned or more than once doesnt run at all without any info its a bit disapointing for me.

glacius
January 21st, 2017, 16:28
If u have any additional open slots please consider me also . Time works well

cover me!
January 22nd, 2017, 04:03
G'day guys

Not sure where you are at with this one, but I would live to play. However, I am +8GMT. (Hong Kong)

What time/day is your sessions?

Cheers,

Matt

Wookiee420
January 22nd, 2017, 05:01
do we need to start a new game?

tiltingtables
January 24th, 2017, 21:06
due to technical problems (computer crashed badly.) i'm going to need to start this all over again. I lost everything I had on it.

Frost Globe
January 24th, 2017, 21:51
ready to play when you are :)