PDA

View Full Version : Module tutorial?

SalmonElla
October 3rd, 2005, 03:11
Ok, I seem to be missing the way to export modules and what to do with them afterwards. It may be obvious but I am just not seeing it. I tried using the export command from the ? menu but it didnt do anything.

gurney9999
October 3rd, 2005, 04:32
first of all, when you did the export, did you do it like so?

/export [name] [description]

so, as an example, if I worked on some stuff and decided to export it as a module, I could do the following:

/export dungeon1 my first dungeon

In the above case, the mod would be called 'dungeon1' and would appear in the modules folder as dungeon1.mod

If you click on the modules button (within a campaign that uses the same ruleset as the module you exported), in the example above you would see an option called 'my first dungeon'. Select the radio button and you would see all the info from the module in your new campaign.

Crusader
October 3rd, 2005, 08:53
Hey, you did a far better explanation on module export than I just did in another thread. Good job! :)

wavecutter
October 3rd, 2005, 17:45
What is contained in the file it creates? Can I create a module and just pass the module file from the module folder to someone?

gurney9999
October 3rd, 2005, 18:00
anything you have created prior to exporting it.... story pages, images, personalities, etc. They will reside in the appropriates folders so when you pull the module into another campaign they will be placed where they belong within the session you are in.

Ged
October 3rd, 2005, 18:03
What is contained in the file it creates?
The module contains the data specified between exportinfo tags, for instance:

<exportinfo>
<node name="encounter" />
<node name="image" />
<node name="npc" />
<node name="item" />
</exportinfo>

For historical reasons, encounter means Story book, image means Images, npc is the Personalities, and item is Items. In the d20 ruleset, the export information is in the d20_export.xml, which is included from the base.xml.

Can I create a module and just pass the module file from the module folder to someone?
Yes, that is how modules work.

wavecutter
October 3rd, 2005, 23:25
Cool so all the images ect, are in the module file?

richvalle
October 3rd, 2005, 23:43
Yes.

Actually the .mod file is a .zip file. You can use winzip to open the file and look inside it.

rv

wavecutter
October 4th, 2005, 05:57
Fantastic

Toadwart
March 9th, 2006, 18:57
I know the answer is to this question is most likely "no" but will ask it anyway...

Is it posible to add "tokens" to the <exportinfo> node?

richvalle
March 9th, 2006, 19:23
I know the answer is to this question is most likely "no" but will ask it anyway...

Is it posible to add "tokens" to the <exportinfo> node?

You know what the answer is going to be.

"This will be possible in the next release: 1.06"

:)

rv

gurney9999
March 9th, 2006, 19:42

Is it posible to add "tokens" to the <exportinfo> node?As rv said... no.... what i do is place a folder in my tokens/host folder for each module. That way I have a 'bag' in my token box with tokens for each module.

mr_h
March 11th, 2006, 01:56
Just checking to make sure I don't screw up:)

I have completed an adventure. I export it to module.

Am I safe to go into my images directory, clear that out, delete all the notes, pages, etc. Then start on the next module?

All the data will be stored nice and safe?

Cantstanzya
March 11th, 2006, 14:33
I have completed an adventure. I export it to module.

Am I safe to go into my images directory, clear that out, delete all the notes, pages, etc. Then start on the next module?

All the data will be stored nice and safe?From what it sounds like you want to run an adventure and then save it to a module. What I prefer to do is prepair the module in a separate campaign and export it to a module and then run my players through it in the main campaign. I have about 10 campaigns and each one is a place the party can go. Let's say one of the campaigns is a city called Xantel. This is a place the party may go. I have many NPCs in this campaign, graphics of the town, town history ect. When I have this setup the way I want it I'll export is as a module. Now in my main campaign I will activate that module when the party goes to that town. Let's say one day the town is overthrown by an evil dictator. I would go back to the campaign called Xantel and make the appropriate changes and export the module again. Now when the party goes back there, I will activate the module and it has all the new information, the story line of what happened any new NPCs ect.
One thing I have found is I that after I re-export a module I have to go to the modules directory on the main campaign and delete out directories that are created when I activated the module from before.

DarkStar
March 17th, 2006, 12:41
I have about 10 campaigns and each one is a place the party can go. Let's say one of the campaigns is a city called Xantel. This is a place the party may go. I have many NPCs in this campaign, graphics of the town, town history ect. When I have this setup the way I want it I'll export is as a module. Now in my main campaign I will activate that module when the party goes to that town. Let's say one day the town is overthrown by an evil dictator. I would go back to the campaign called Xantel and make the appropriate changes and export the module again. Now when the party goes back there, I will activate the module and it has all the new information, the story line of what happened any new NPCs ect.

Neat, yet you can do that without modules at all. I still can't see what to use them for. ;P As the devs said - they were made to ease the work for publishers and other people who would like to share their creations with the community.

gurney9999
March 17th, 2006, 14:09
Yes, it is all about your own organization method. I would use modules because if I want group A to go through a town and the I want group B to go through the same town, I would have separate campaigns for group A and group B, and pull in the town info as a module.

That way I only have to worry about character sheets, chatlogs, etc. for one group within a campaign. I wouldn't want to jump around from campaign to campaign with the same group, or have multiple groups using the same campaign.

Griogre
March 18th, 2006, 03:56
The other advantage of modules, that I see is that if you plan on running a long campaign it allows you to get rid of the first adventures. Sure you could keep it all there but if you got 10th level characters do you really want to still have their first couple of adventures at 1st and 2nd level cluttering up your campaign?

Cantstanzya
March 19th, 2006, 05:48
I still can't see what to use them for.It reduces clutter.