PDA

View Full Version : How can I make permanent changes to a modue?

Necron99
October 2nd, 2005, 20:00
Lets say, for instance, that I made a module some time ago - a city that my players frequent. Now something in the city changes, but I don't have original campaign, just the Module. How can I pull the information contained in the module to FG, modify it, then exportit as an updated file? I've tried several ways and I can't seem to get it to work.

Toadwart
October 3rd, 2005, 02:33
I'll have to double-check this when I get home but a .mod is sessentially a .zip so I think you could:
-rename it to .zip
-unzip the contents
-move the files into a new campaign folder you have created
-edit the new campaign
-export back to a .mod

gurney9999
October 3rd, 2005, 04:48
If, from within a campaign called campaign1, you create module1... you can pull up module1 from within any other campaign (that has the same ruleset).

If you want to make changes to module1, the best thing to do would be to open campaign1 (where you initially created the info for module1), add new things, edit existing things, delete things... then you can export the module again with the same name (module1). This will overwrite your original module1 with the new information.

Toadwart
October 3rd, 2005, 06:44
Ok, tried the unzip method with a module and it appears to work ok.
Create the new campaign (and close FG) first. Then rename & unzip the .mod and move the files into the campaign folders.
Double-check (in the campaign.xml and definition.xml files) that the rulesets are the same before firing up the campaign again.

My test module was pretty simple, just some maps so you might run into problems elsewhere.
If you do just post up here and we'll try to help.
:wink:

Necron99
October 3rd, 2005, 15:00
Excellent, thanks

If it's just a .zip file, why don't the devs just call it a .zip file? Woulda saved one more point of confusion.

Edit - Also, instead of going through all of this, an /importmod comand or something would be useful, yes?

gurney9999
October 3rd, 2005, 15:36
but I don't have original campaign, just the Module. Oops... didn't see that the first time around.

Yes, keeping the original 'sandbox' campaign that you export your module(s) from is a dependency; if not you have to do what Toadwart describes above.

I'm sure they wanted to call it a .mod file since .mod files are recognized by winzip and it sort of fits with the term 'module'. :)

Necron99
October 3rd, 2005, 17:48
I got this to work also - Excellent job! I was one worried DM.

I think it's safe to say that if you plan to make any later changes to your modules, it's best to create a new campaign specifically for creating that module, export it, and then make a backup of the campaign directory and file that sucker away somewhere.

.MOD is also an ancient midi-esque audio format, and on my computer, Winamp seems to think it owns the file.

net924
November 20th, 2005, 17:40
didn't see that the first time around.

You guys are all the same... :) :D :8

gurney9999
November 20th, 2005, 19:03
didn't see that the first time around.

You guys are all the same... :) :D :8Huh?