PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be willing to give me a quick lesson about FG? I used to use it

JC the Roleslayer
December 3rd, 2016, 21:05
I used to use Fantasy Grounds all the time but it has changed. If someone would be willing to give me the rundown from both a player and GM point of view id really apreciate it, as i would like to run a game as well. Please PM me if you dont mind (: Thanks in advance

damned
December 3rd, 2016, 23:53
Hi JC the Roleslayer in the meantime you might watch a few videos that others have done. You could watch some streamed games or some intro videos or Dougs video on the 3.2.0 changes. They would all be useful.

JC the Roleslayer
December 4th, 2016, 04:11
Thank you guys for the help, i apreciate it! Now my only question is should i buy the core class pack? I am mostly a player but may want to run some modules here and there as a DM. What do you think?

damned
December 4th, 2016, 04:19
If you say run The Lost Mines of Phandelver it contains 4 or 6 pre-gens and everything you need to run this adventure which could take from 4 sessions to 24 sessions to complete.
Having the PHB gives you many more options but you can totally run without it.
Most 5e GMs (and may players) will have the PHB.
For GMs there is a bit of debate about whether the next best purchase is the MM or the DMG.
Volos Guide has also been very popular.

Myrdin Potter
December 4th, 2016, 06:12
Everyone will have their opinion, but if you are going to DM and make your own modules than the PHB, MM and Volo's Guide are quite useful. Volo is not in the SRD but if you just want the basics, you can get away with the PHB (for all the character options) and then use the free SRD. As a general rule, all of WoTC adventure packs here are self contained.

Since the DM can share the books, an ultimate license and the PHB are the two first purchases I would do for a constant DM and then the monster manual and Volo. DM's Guide is less immediately useful in my opinion.