PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the Crimson Throne Theme

turelus
December 3rd, 2016, 13:53
This is a theme based on Paizo's Curse of the Crimson Throne.

It's designed for the PFRPG ruleset and I don't know how well it will work with others. All artwork is taken from existing FG2 themes, the new Crimson Throne hardcover book or random image searches, I don't own any of the assets used.

I also am not greatly experienced in developing anything like this so please be nice if I have done anything stupid in the XML files or it has bloated files which are not used. I'm open to feedback in improving the the workings or minor issues with the theme but don't plan to make changes to the base appearance.

Known Issues:
Party sheet still contains some black text on crimson background, I am working on fixing this.
Minor tweaks or larger changes needed to some images.

Screenshot Link: LINK (https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5k3bdzy3f0pxet/screenshot0001.png?dl=0)
Dropbox Download Link: removed

Nickademus
December 3rd, 2016, 18:33
... or random image searches...

I'm pretty sure that if some of the random images you used are copyrighted, you can't share this extension. You would need to get a non-commercial license for each to share it.

turelus
December 4th, 2016, 08:08
If that's the case I can just remove the links/close the thread.

Bidmaron
December 4th, 2016, 19:42
How about let us that have the material put it in where you have it designed?

Nickademus
December 4th, 2016, 21:00
It's actually not that hard to get licenses for minor artwork for a project like this. Just go to a website that sells stock art licenses like this one (https://www.123rf.com/), drop around $20 for credits, and search through the images for what you need. As long as you keep the images small, you can get a non-commercial license for a piece of art for 2-3 dollars.

Bidmaron
December 5th, 2016, 00:27
Nickademus, he is using art from Paizo adventure path books. Probably not easy to get license to that.

Nickademus
December 5th, 2016, 01:17
He might be able to get away with that under the Community Use Policy (https://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse) depending on how he does it. It's the random Google images that are the pain.

turelus
December 6th, 2016, 18:33
This project was mostly something designed to add a bit of flavour for my own groups games and I thought I would share it with the community here to give something back.

Sadly I probably have used images under copyright to someone somewhere, whether any of it is distinguishable as such could be debated but end of the day some images are from random online pilfering (IIRC the chat box and stone wallpaper textures were from Google searches). There is also the case of how Paizo would feel about me ripping all the art from their PDF and making a theme with it. I was aware this could be an issue but as with most cases of such asset theft it was meant with good intentions and not to really make any wild gains.

Without wanting to (but probably will) sound like a complete jerk I am not willing to rework things or pay for images for the purpose of sharing here right now, I have already sunk a lot of time into it and right now need to dedicate the free time I have to working on the actual campaign, if at some point I find time I will remove the two items I know were taken from random online searches and potentially share it again.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 18:37
Without wanting to (but probably will) sound like a complete jerk I am not willing to rework things or pay for images for the purpose of sharing here right now, I have already sunk a lot of time into it and right now need to dedicate the free time I have to working on the actual campaign, if at some point I find time I will remove the two items I know were taken from random online searches and potentially share it again.
You're not sounding like a jerk at all. It's cool that you wanted to share what you've done with the community. However, on this forum, we're very mindful of any copyright issues. Enjoy your cool theme with your gaming group, and spend your time on campaign prep! :)

turelus
December 7th, 2016, 19:04
Okay, so because I hate not delivering on things I've gone back and taken a look at all the files in this.

Everything other than the stone texture on the wallpaper and the parchment on the chat box seems to be from the CotCT Hard Cover PDF (all the previous random Google images were replaced in favour of these new assets). I can find legal alternatives for these either via free use with credit or restoring the core FG2 assets.

I've also contacted Paizo for confirmation of whether this theme would break any of their fair/community usage.

If worst comes I might be able to rework the theme removing the owned assets for more generic red/black textures which are not directly taken from any source, but not sure on when/if I can deliver on that. I would like to give something to people after the teasing done here though.

Nickademus
December 7th, 2016, 19:30
Make sure you look into the Community Use guidelines for Paizo. I do believe you have to register you project on the website (though it is quick and free). Having that done prior to contacting Paizo might strengthen your case.

turelus
December 7th, 2016, 21:28
Make sure you look into the Community Use guidelines for Paizo. I do believe you have to register you project on the website (though it is quick and free). Having that done prior to contacting Paizo might strengthen your case.

Yeah I shot them a quick email and they came back saying that currently it wouldn't be fine to publish because it's using art assets taken from a PDF/Book not from the blog/community kit. So for the short therm I won't be able to publish this theme again but I will see what I can do in my free time to make something similar but not using any assets taken from the PDF.