PDA

View Full Version : Map Size

tyndale
October 2nd, 2005, 05:47
Quick question: Can you enlarge a map to the size of the entire screen? I couldn't in the demo. Thanx!

Sigurd
October 2nd, 2005, 08:33
I think the answer to that is no.

The map window is of a fixed size but ....

The amount of data shown inside that window zooms. This is actually rather affective because it allows you to play with the relative scale of your tokens and the map. You can also move your focus through the map and eventually see the whole thing. As Dm you can force the players to focus on what you are focusing on.

I think there are still some bugs - for one it appears that if the DM minimizes a graphic the players can't scroll through it as well. Last game we had trouble getting the map to share between DM & players.
The overall affect however is really acceptable when everything works :).

S

ashman
October 2nd, 2005, 14:41
ya this needs to change so the map window can be resized larger
those of us that use resolutions larger then 1280x1024 end up with a really small map view.

richvalle
October 2nd, 2005, 15:48
You might be able to make it somewhat bigger, though not as big as the whole screen.

Hold the cntrl key down while you left click and drag on one of the corners of the map.

rv

tyndale
October 2nd, 2005, 15:50
I think the answer to that is no
Bummer. I am looking for an app that allows me to have a master map and then project a players map onto a second screen. I found that I can run both a master and client at the same time and was planning on showing just the client (players map) by extending my screen onto another monitor via MaxiVista. [I am actaully using the second screen as a battle map]. I know that this is a non-traditional use of FG, but it would be better than all other apps if I could just maximize the map. Thanx for the quick responses!

Cantstanzya
October 2nd, 2005, 21:52
I imagine there may be a way to set the max size of the screen (map) but I am not sure how. Don't give up just yet, wait for a response from one of the developers.

Ged
October 3rd, 2005, 09:13
The maximum window size for images is a matter of the ruleset. The file [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\data\ui_adventure.xml has a tag <maximumsize width="700" height="700" /> under windowclass imagewindow and newimagewindow, which refer to the bitmap images in the images folder and drawings. Modify those numbers to your liking. However, the changes won't take place unless you are working on a custom ruleset (copy the base.xml from d20 ruleset to [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\rulesets\[your_ruleset] and remember to add the

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
</importinfo>
to the base.xml to preserve compatibility with d20 modules).

Edit: Also, because the file to be modified is one of the standard files, no modifications to the original ui_adventure.xml will apply. What you need to do, is copy the the ui_adventure.xml file for instance to [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\rulesets\[your_ruleset], do your modifications and change the base.xml

<includefile source="data\ui_adventure.xml" />into

<includefile source="rulesets\&#91;your_ruleset&#93;\ui_adventure.xml" />

tyndale
October 4th, 2005, 03:45
Thanx Ged! I have purchased FG and will try coding a bigger map.

Cheers,

Mark

tyndale
October 4th, 2005, 07:25
I made the changes, but the window is still the same size. Here is what I did...

<root>
<windowclass name="imagewindow">
<frame name="imagebox" />
<datasource name="image" />
<dynamic control="host" />
<maximumsize width="1700" height="1700" />

&#91;snip&#93;

<windowclass name="newimagewindow">
<frame name="imagebox" />
<datasource name="image" />
<dynamic control="host" />
<defaultsize width="700" height="700" />
<maximumsize width="1700" height="1700" />

I also made a custom ruleset directory and added the altered base.xml to it.

Any idea what I did wrong?

kalmarjan
October 4th, 2005, 13:03
Okay, you are halfway there... :)

Just use the ctrl key inside FG while dragging your mouse to get the full size.

If you want it to automatically be full screen size, then you need to change the <defaultsize> tag.

Hope this helps,

Sandeman

tyndale
October 4th, 2005, 14:54
Greetings Kalmarjan and thanx for the input! I am trying the resize with ctrl+r-click drag and am still no luck. I like for the map to be nearly full screen as possible. I must be still doing something wrong. Any other ideas?

Ged
October 4th, 2005, 15:16
Oh, if the modified file is one of the standard files, no modifications will apply (sorry for the confusing instructions). What you need to do, is copy the modified ui_adventure.xml file for instance to [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\rulesets\[your_ruleset] and change the base.xml

<includefile source="data\ui_adventure.xml" />into

<includefile source="rulesets\&#91;your_ruleset&#93;\ui_adventure.xml" />

tyndale
October 4th, 2005, 15:37
Huzzah! It worked. Thanx you!!!!!! Now I have a whole screen of map goodness.

And now to push the limits of your goodwill and further mod your app, is there any way of removing the dice :P

Cheers,

Mark

Ged
October 4th, 2005, 17:52
And now to push the limits of your goodwill and further mod your app, is there any way of removing the dice
No, you cannot get rid of them :twisted: . But if it is of any help, you can adjust their default postition (the file to modify is [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\data\gameelements.xml - the same advice for copying the file and changing references in base.xml apply as above).

richvalle
October 4th, 2005, 20:32
Greetings Kalmarjan and thanx for the input! I am trying the resize with ctrl+r-click drag and am still no luck. I like for the map to be nearly full screen as possible. I must be still doing something wrong. Any other ideas?

By the way... its ctrl+left click and drag. Looks like you've gotten past this anyway.

rv

tyndale
October 5th, 2005, 03:22
No, you cannot get rid of them :twisted: . But if it is of any help, you can adjust their default postition (the file to modify is [Fantasy_Grounds_root]\data\gameelements.xml - the same advice for copying the file and changing references in base.xml apply as above).
Got it! That was easy. I love tweaking FG (and I have no real computer programing experience)!! Is there a way to have the dice hide behind the map? Pretty please. You've let me code it this far, what is a little more modification :P

tyndale
October 5th, 2005, 03:26
By the way... its ctrl+left click and drag. Looks like you've gotten past this anyway.
You are correct Rich. I still have a hard time with the difference between right and left :wink:

tyndale
October 5th, 2005, 03:42
Ok, Ged. My token box is now empty in my custom ruleset. Can you help me populate it? I promise this is my last request for today. 8)

[Edit: You can Ignore this. I just copied and pasted them to tokens/shared]

sozin
December 28th, 2006, 03:26
good thread, worked for me. someone want might to deprecate the other thread on this topic (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3907&page=2) ... the instructions there didn't work for me (but they did work for someone else, so maybe I'm just daft :D ).