PDA

View Full Version : Slow hindrance

Skellan
December 1st, 2016, 13:42
Does the slow hindrance from the horror companion automatically draw 2 cards and pick the lowest for initiative? I am not sure if it does this automatically or not

Ikael
December 1st, 2016, 14:45
Does the slow hindrance from the horror companion automatically draw 2 cards and pick the lowest for initiative? I am not sure if it does this automatically or not

Horror Companion extension that comes with the product does that

PS: At least it should

Skellan
December 1st, 2016, 15:44
I see, thank you

Skellan
December 1st, 2016, 18:51
Actually, I have noticed that there is a conflict with the Fantasy extension. The dwarf racial ability 'slow' (which gives Dwarves Pace 5) conflicts with the slow hindrance from the horror companion so that Dwarves also pick two cards and choose the lowest when drawing initiative.

Ikael
December 1st, 2016, 21:25
Actually, I have noticed that there is a conflict with the Fantasy extension. The dwarf racial ability 'slow' (which gives Dwarves Pace 5) conflicts with the slow hindrance from the horror companion so that Dwarves also pick two cards and choose the lowest when drawing initiative.

Ohho, the Horror companion implementation only checks if character has any edge or hindrance named "Slow" and applies the initiative effect on it. This is unwanted side-effect for dwarves and should be addressed by the developers. I have written the original Horror Companion extension but have to leave the fix to people/devs who get commission from the product.

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2016, 23:05
Oh, it goes deeper than that, and it looks like it's a general problem with naming of abilities/edges/hindrances in the settings as well as how the base system works.

In War of the Dead, the Slow ability on a shambler means that they can't be dealt higher than a five.
In the Horror Companion, the Slow hindrance means that you're dealt 2 cards, and keep the lowest, for initiative.
In addition to that, there are many races and creatures scattered across many settings books which have the Slow racial ability or Slow NPC ability.
And finally, each of the racial/NPC abilities has a unique interpretation. (reduced pace, less running die, etc.)

The Savage Worlds ruleset looks across the PC edges/hindrances and the NPC abilities section to determine if any abilities should be considered for initiative, such as Level Headed and many more.

So, I'll need to circle with the Savage Worlds ruleset developer, and see what can be done to fine-tune these scenarios.

Regards,
JPG

Skellan
December 2nd, 2016, 23:08
Thanks Moon Wizard.

(sorry to cause trouble hehe)