PDA

View Full Version : DMG causing massive memory overflow for connected players

Dracius
November 30th, 2016, 20:44
Hello,

I was running a game recently and one of the players who was connected kept getting random errors, crashes, and his client kept freezing up. The memory usage of FG was skyrotting to over 4GB. I noticed he was the only player who had the DMG enabled (I had it set to share), so 2 of the other players went ahead and enabled it to test and as soon as they did they started having the same problem. One of them crashed, got some error message about having to delete a file before re-opening (he closed the message before he could screenshot it), then once they got back in game and disabled the DMG they no longer had any issues.

I've tried it with and without extensions enabled. This isn't slowing our game down any atm since they don't really need access to the DMG, but I just wanted to make sure it was on someone's radar.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2016, 21:38
Yes, you should NOT share any 5E modules marked originally as GM only (shown with red X by default).

There is a limitation in the current FG architecture which causes player instances to fully load every asset in the module, that will not be addressed until the Unity revision much farther out in time. While the player friendly modules have taken this under consideration, the GM modules are built with lots of images for the GM to share as they go. Remember, any image or record can be shared with a player as needed. No need to share the whole book.

In order to fix, mark the module with the red X again in the GM modules screen, then have the players clear their cache before connecting next session (nuke button on join game launch screen).

Regards,
JPG

Dracius
November 30th, 2016, 22:48
There is a limitation in the current FG architecture which causes player instances to fully load every asset in the module

I was worried it was something like that, but thank you for confirming and I'm glad to hear you're already aware of it.

In order to fix, mark the module with the red X again in the GM modules screen,

I noticed a weird quirk with enabling/disabling module access. One of the players who was connected to my game was still able to access a module that I previously had active (5e basic rules), but because I had it disabled he wasn't able to toggle it anymore. So I had to enable it (green check mark) so that he could close it (book icon) and then I disabled it again (red X).

Is there a command I can do on my side that will re-sync the module access and forcefully close any open modules that a player might have opened (book icon) before I disabled it (red X)?

Also, how do I remove the DM side Enable/Disable icon? It seems once you've played one or the other there is no way to remove them from the module.

PS. Thank you for the fast response. So far I've been really impressed with how quickly everyone answers questions. It's appreciated.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2016, 23:12
Here are the access modes:
* Green = Allowed for players. Shown in player modules list, and can be opened/closed at will.
* Red = Not allowed for players. Not shown in player modules list.
* Empty = Indeterminate. Shown in player modules list, but can not be opened by players until GM sets to green. If attempted, the GM is notified that someone wants to open.

There is no way to remove the access mode selection once chosen. Once you've set to green/red, the idea is that you've already make the decision (they can access or not), so it is no longer indeterminate.

There's no option to force a reset, though I'll have to look into whether the client can be updated to prevent loading of disabled modules. (which seems like a good thing) It probably won't be right away, but I'll put on my list.

Regards,
JPG

damned
November 30th, 2016, 23:33
Have the player nuke their cache for that campaign via Windows Explorer or they can use the Nuke button to clear cache across all their campaigns.