PDA

View Full Version : Purchase and Browse from FREE Version

whiteTiki
November 30th, 2016, 03:01
Hi there everyone,

A question got into my head the other day,
If I purchase a whole bunch of modules from FG, lets say, 5E adventures or a Player's Handbook; can I browse all my purchased content from a free version of Fantasy Grounds?

Currently I have an ultimate version, but I don't remember if there's a way to do the browsing without it.
I noticed that if you go to the "Manage Characters" section from the lobby, you have the new "buttons" like "Spells" and stuff from the 3.2 version. You also have the library button. Will this even work on a free version of the game? And if it DOES work, you guys should promote the software as a way to own your digital version of 5E modules and being able to use them for reference without paying for a license. If it doesn't work like that, you guys should add a button (maybe below Manage Characters) called something like "reference manuals" to be able to do it.

Cheers!

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2016, 03:09
Prior to v3.2, a valid license was required to use any encrypted content.

Since v3.2, only a valid FG login is required in the FG Settings.

Cheers,
JPG

LordEntrails
November 30th, 2016, 03:13
You can not access purchased items from the free version. This has been mentioned as part of the licensing agreement/requirements from WotC. So it's not something that could be done with the 5E content.

whiteTiki
November 30th, 2016, 03:17

Cheers,
JPG

And which section would anyone with a free license use to browse the encrypted content?
The "create campaign" one, or the "manage characters" one? Some other section?

whiteTiki
November 30th, 2016, 03:18
Cheers,
JPG

You can not access purchased items from the free version. This has been mentioned as part of the licensing agreement/requirements from WotC. So it's not something that could be done with the 5E content.

Soo........ ?

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2016, 03:44
So, it's a combination of both answers, our options were more limited when first launched with 5E stuff.

As for modes, that's a good question, and probably something we would want to look at if we want to market as you presented. I've broached with Doug so we can discuss next week.

JPG

LordEntrails
November 30th, 2016, 16:11
@whiteTiki, Trust Moon's answers over mine. He's knows what he's talking about. I just remember most of what's I've read :)

whiteTiki
December 1st, 2016, 05:03
Ok thanks a lot to both for the info!

Argonaut
December 1st, 2016, 22:11
OK, just to be clear, you CAN purchase and access content (including 5E content) using the FG software in the free mode. Correct? I have free mode players who want to do this.

A

Trenloe
December 1st, 2016, 22:16
OK, just to be clear, you CAN purchase and access content (including 5E content) using the FG software in the free mode. Correct? I have free mode players who want to do this.
Not the 5E content, no. And neither the other encrypted content - a good rule of thumb is to assume anything released by SmiteWorks in the last 2 years is encrypted and not accessible from the free version. Any modules that aren't encrypted are in the <FG app data>\modules directory - these are accessible.

spite
December 1st, 2016, 23:58
Not the 5E content, no. And neither the other encrypted content - a good rule of thumb is to assume anything released by SmiteWorks in the last 2 years in encrypted and not accessible from the free version. Any modules that aren't encrypted are in the <FG app data>\modules directory - these are accessible.

Even after 3.2 as moon wizard has said further up the thread?

Edit: This is a confusing set of answers, haha.

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2016, 05:51
Yes, we added the encrypted content feature that was one of the requirements to get the Wizards deal a couple years ago, and each publisher now has the option (which they usually take).

Regards,
JPG