PDA

View Full Version : So... starting with CC3/CC3+

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 07:04
I purchased the set of CC3/DD3/CD3 Mike Schley symbol pack during the recent BF sale.

I only installed both and opened it up to glance at it as I will not have time to look at this until my vacation starts on 12th :)

Do I want to follow the readings from CC3 to CC3+ or any reason I should skip CC3 and go right to CC3+ (I have no prior experience of either)?
OR don't use CC3+ yet because its not "_____"?

I'm going to eventually watch this month videos since I've read folks here refer to them as very useful. I only glanced, but saw some linked videos on the start splash screen - are those the ones referred here or is there another "teacher" out there to subscribe to?

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 07:58
OK - now REALLY going to bed.

Seems I am not sure now if I installed all 3 into CC+... tried looking in the dirs and comparing but neither have things that jump out at me proving has all 3.

Perhaps someone can tell me a menu setting to check to see if CD/DD were both installed on both CC/CC+?

I'll check tomorrow.

*delirious obsessive-compulsive fool walks back to keyboard*
Oh yeah, I did install it I'm pretty sure since both CC3 and CC3+ dirs have a Symbol Dir with City/Dungeon in them & Schley elsewhere...?

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2016, 11:19
CC3 and CC3+ are two different products which install in different directories. So I assume you bought one or the other. Both install to ProgramFiles(x86)/Profantasy. With the data folders in ProgramData/Profantasy

Depending on which one you bought would inform which manual you should read.

The videos, whilst helpful, are very old and much has changed in the program since they were produced - especially CC3+

NotRussellCrowe
November 29th, 2016, 11:28
OK - now REALLY going to bed.

Seems I am not sure now if I installed all 3 into CC+... tried looking in the dirs and comparing but neither have things that jump out at me proving has all 3.

Perhaps someone can tell me a menu setting to check to see if CD/DD were both installed on both CC/CC+?

I'll check tomorrow.

*delirious obsessive-compulsive fool walks back to keyboard*
Oh yeah, I did install it I'm pretty sure since both CC3 and CC3+ dirs have a Symbol Dir with City/Dungeon in them & Schley elsewhere...?

Hi, Varsuuk.

There are some buttons that get installed with DD3 and CD3.

In order the buttons are: CC3, DD3, and CD3

To use the Dungeons of Schley you have to start a new dungeon map and choose the appropriate map style.

As for videos I've been enjoying the following ones:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV5XWfKkFpk46UW36L6Wb9X_wZm6hWgHu

I'm working my way through the tutorials at the moment and they are showing how to use it and explaining things so I would recommend that. The PDFs should be in the CC3 documentation directory. Start with CC3UserManual.pdf

Happy cartographering!

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 12:55
CC3 and CC3+ are two different products which install in different directories. So I assume you bought one or the other. Both install to ProgramFiles(x86)/Profantasy. With the data folders in ProgramData/Profantasy

Depending on which one you bought would inform which manual you should read.

The videos, whilst helpful, are very old and much has changed in the program since they were produced - especially CC3+

Thanks Z, the manuals are already on my ipad.

I bought the three-pack bundle, I've been on the fence forever citing my lack of time and artistic skills but when I read here there was a Black Friday sale...at 69 or so, couldn't resist. It was listed as CC3 + CC3plus download.

Then I bought Schley cos me like a lot of his maps

I downloaded and installed the CC3 based stuff (including DD3,CD3) then patched then installed CC3+ in a different directory and used the DD3forCC3plus installer and likewise the same for CD3 installers and finally Schley for plus and patched.

So two different directory trees. Figure since had no experience with either did know if was a reason to stay on original for compatibility or feature completeness.

Hey wondering, it would prob look way cruder, but are there any asserts in my old Forgotten Realms CC2 CD I can reuse weather it's maps or symbols or? if so aill google around. Having morning coffee so barely coherent now...

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2016, 13:50
I think you may as well forget CC3 unless you want to use any of the annuals that aren't compatible with CC3+ (yet - if they ever will be). Although CC3+ is basically the same as CC3 there are a large number of interface changes and a lot of under the hood stuff which makes things easier. If you use both you'll kind of have to learn both and you already have an uphill battle :)

There shouldn't be any relevant resources in your old CC2 discs that isn't included in CC3 or CC3+. CC2 used vector graphics rather than filled symbols and such so unless you want retro maps you'll never use those anyway.

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2016, 16:18
As Zacc says, just start with CC3+ unless you want to use some of the old annuals (which you have to purchase anyway). Really do take the time to do the sample maps with each product. They are detailed in the user guide. Not only will you learn a lot about how to do the various commands, you'll also learn a good workflow. With CC, it's important that you make the map in a certain order, doing so allows you to leverage the power of sheet effects with minimal re-work or re-organizing of you mep elements.

Also, don't be afraid to ask on the forums over there, they are just as helpful as everyone here. Finally, if you're not familiar, checkout the Cartographer's Guild, they are another great community for map makers (even amatuer ones).

Trenloe
November 29th, 2016, 16:57
Lots of discussion and good links to tutorials in the Map Making Software thread. Start here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary&p=284116&viewfull=1#post284116 and look through the following pages. Example maps, links to tutorials, etc..

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 17:24
I think you may as well forget CC3 unless you want to use any of the annuals that aren't compatible with CC3+ (yet - if they ever will be). Although CC3+ is basically the same as CC3 there are a large number of interface changes and a lot of under the hood stuff which makes things easier. If you use both you'll kind of have to learn both and you already have an uphill battle :)

Great, glad I asked - they gave instructions for installing both without any reason why would it wouldn't ;) I had at first thought maybe because CC3+ was maybe still in pre-release mode or something since CC3 was still so primarily featured.

I'll uninstall CC3 as I have no Annuals. Figure save disk space and program associations maybe.
I wanted to see the new toy, should know better than to install in wee hours of night/mornings.

I'll google to find out which Annuals do/don't work so I know later which I can look at to see what they offer.

There shouldn't be any relevant resources in your old CC2 discs that isn't included in CC3 or CC3+. CC2 used vector graphics rather than filled symbols and such so unless you want retro maps you'll never use those anyway.

I never used the CC2, It came with a (I believe scaled down) version of CC2. I got it for the Interactive Forgotten Realms maps to look at and just enjoy. Haven't opened it in decade or more, so unsure what I'd think today but I was wowed back then on the overlands.

Speaking of "interactive/linked" maps, I noticed while perusing the first 5 or so annual descriptions that one of the early ones actually referenced and linked the FRInteractice map and had a l son on how to make that sort of map. So made mental note to see if there isn't already a free lesson on that somewhere and if. to to think about it if I ever became proficient in CC3.

Do you know if that annual or part of the annual is "compatible", no big if not, just a kind of interesting thing to me.

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 17:27
Lots of discussion and good links to tutorials in the Map Making Software thread. Start here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary&p=284116&viewfull=1#post284116 and look through the following pages. Example maps, links to tutorials, etc..

I'm presuming the manual/essentials pdfs that come with the software should be my start? That's why wrote in case I should look at other stuff first before annuals. i just know lots of CC pro folks here and over last year when .I didn't think I was getting it, I would hear "start here" advice which went in one...eye? and out...the...other? after reading forums ;)

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 17:27
As Zacc says, just start with CC3+ unless you want to use some of the old annuals (which you have to purchase anyway). Really do take the time to do the sample maps with each product. They are detailed in the user guide. Not only will you learn a lot about how to do the various commands, you'll also learn a good workflow. With CC, it's important that you make the map in a certain order, doing so allows you to leverage the power of sheet effects with minimal re-work or re-organizing of you mep elements.

Also, don't be afraid to ask on the forums over there, they are just as helpful as everyone here. Finally, if you're not familiar, checkout the Cartographer's Guild, they are another great community for map makers (even amatuer ones).

Will do on both your good suggestions!

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 17:47
At work so gotta stop reading for bit, but among first things read was the Tome, which I recall looking at before but didn't think of when ordered the rest on sale.

Good news is their BF code still works and I got it for 13.99 or so. So, will continue to read that thread later and figure where reading Tome comes in scheme of things. I'll check out those starting videos to go along with.

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 19:00
Wow, just looked at Fantasy and Dungeon symbol sets and especially loved the grey/white mountains on that sample pdf over world. So tempted while still on sale, but I expect these are not "must have" (or are they, cos if are ... in for a penny, in for a pound and i'll get on sale) so can wait until know more and or next big sale?

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2016, 19:13
It really depends on whether you are going to be drawing dungeon maps or overland maps. For FG I almost never need an overland map; I need battlemaps that the players can take on the monsters on. Thus I only really need the dungeon symbols since that's the kind of maps I draw. (And besides I can't draw overland maps for toffee). You might get more out of the overland symbol sets if you draw or intend to draw a lot of overland maps. Symbols for dungeons I gobble up wherever I find them.

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 19:32
Ok, Im hearing I should probably buy these... Still have time it seems to order today.

Making dungeons (my primary starting thing, but do plan on making my campaign world layout be diff using places/political stiff from places as varied as GH, FR, Mydtara, TW and Midkemia for little of this and that but that's more of in game things - will use a simplish overland to get the layout in my head well before make a "real" map

anyhow, if I am starting making dungeon maps, are the symbols you get with dungeon designer sufficient or really want the dungeon symbol pack off the get-go too?

NotRussellCrowe
November 29th, 2016, 19:34
Hi, Varsuuk.

There are thousands of free symbols available for you too here
https://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1230&page=1#Item_0

I can't quite comment on the quality and how many dungeon vs overland symbols are in there, nor fantasy vs modern vs future, but there are lots. Check out the above link and look into each collection. They are free but take a while to download.

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2016, 21:14
Also check out the CSUAC and Vintyri (spelling?) collections. You can find them through the PF or Cartographer's Guild forums. Though I would suggest waiting until you've done the tutorial maps before adding them in.

Jay_NOLA
November 29th, 2016, 23:23
I tried to post this reply earlier but it didn’t show up so here goes attempt number 2.

I’ve been using CC3 and other map making software for a very long time so I’ll mention a few getting started tips for CC3 & CC3+ and cover some stuff in detail on things to be aware of best on what you said in the last few posts.

CC3 & CC3+ are very similar so if you learn CC3 you’ll just have to learn the new CC3+ stuff.

Now as you know everything has gotten a CC3+ update yet. ProFantasy is working on that slowly but certain things need to get updated to CC3+ before others. The older Annuals will get updated but are going to take awhile because of this. Cosmographer3 just got a beta CC3+ version and a non-beta version is going to be next. A CC3+ of Dioramas Pro also needs to gets done before all the old Annuals can get updated b too.

Now install order, patching questions show up a lot so I recommend you search the ProFantasy Forum. A discussion on install order came up just recently.

You mentioned you have the FR Atlas. It had 3 patch files and a CC3 map symbols patch. The CC3 map symbols patch can be gotten from the ProFantasy site. The other 3 FR patches your going to have to waybackmachine the page that had them to get them. If one waybacked version gives dead links try another. You need to install all FR patches in order. The replaced some maps and add over 100 more.

The fonts used in the FR Atlas cause install problems on Vista and up and don’t display rights even when you get them to be installed correctly. I made a huge post on font problems and pointed out the problem ones on the ProFantasy forum when I was having font issues and how to fix them.

CC3 installers are always right clicked and run as an Admin on Vista and up. CC3+ eliminated some of the problems CC3 has by not keeping all of its data in the Progam folders. If you find something in CC3 isn’t working try running the program as an Admin. This issue again has been covered in good detail on the ProFantasy forums.

Now for getting started you’ll have an essentials PDF and a much larger PDF for the main program.

A lot of people have trouble with the PDF manuals and a better and free alternative to get you up and running in less than about 3 hours existed.

Joe Sweeny made several tutorial videos that cover installing CC3, how the interface works, making battle tiles, making and old school map symbols, etc.

You can watch them on you tube. Some have higher resolution versions you can download as they were made for annuals. (More on this a latter.

Start from his first CC3 video and go from there.

His YouTube page is at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88/videos

ProFantasy has made some of the older CC3 Annuals single issues available for free.

(Note, that the Battle Tiles and High Space one have 2 zip file for each of tutorial videos to go with them that were done by Joe Sweeny. So look on that issues description page carefully for the download links. It is easy to miss them and to just download one zip and not the 2nd one for each of those issues. Also the big download installer of sample issues is easy to miss too.)

The Tome of ultimate mapping is good but do note that it has some errors and only some of the tutorials got a CC3+ version in the zip, which is a manual install. An updated/revised version for CC3+ is slowly in the works, but don’t expect to see it released until the bulk of CC3 stuff has gotten a CC3+ version.

The Vityrni.org site got mentioned for free symbols. The Instruction PDF for the downloads like CSUAC , Bogie's Mapping Objects, will often have links to other files you need to download to install them that aren't shown on the website so read them.

Do be aware that some of the symbols may contain drop shadows and have other things which may not make them look great in CC3 and/or CC3+ most were made for other mapping programs originally. This which is why many have drop shadows as a couple of mapping programs don't make them.

Do note too that the CSUAC has different install paths for the CC3 version now compared to the original version. The version on the site uses the FM8 version files with some modification, because of redistribution problems with the old CC3 version.

Jay_NOLA
December 2nd, 2016, 00:25
I did and edit of my last post to fixed a couple of errors.

Plus, I also have some some additional information on some things to mention.

The Free Annuals I mentioned in the last post if you have trouble finding them are:

The Cartographer’s Annual Vol 3 2009 Example Printed Tile Special Issue (Don't forget to download the 2 zips of videos that go with it.)
The Cartographer's Annual Vol 5 20011 Free Issue Jon Roberts Dungeons

The ProFantasy Blog entry for October 15, 2012 has a download link for a big installer file of 6 free Annual issues.

The High Space Tiles issue that is part of from the 2012 Annual have videos in 2 zips that you have to download from that annual's description page. The YouTube ones that the blog points to are lower resolution online ones.

One other free issue got include in the newer CC3 patch and another free issue exist that was an add-on on to Dioramas Pro annual issues.

Each annual has a page just dedicated to each issue so you can find the download links for it on it. (Note:The Battle Tiles one is going to be very important as exporting your map for use in a Fantasy Grounds or a VTT is covered in one of the tutorial videos.)

If for some reason you decide to get a copy of Fractal Mapper and/or Dundjinni CC3 on a fresh (not repair) instillation will give an install a version of the CC3 map symbols for them. If you can't do a new install for some reason. ProFantasy can send you zip files so you can install those symbols manual so the other mapping software can use them.

CC3+ does not have this option. An updated version of the files along with the new CC3+ symbols did get done, but most likely isn't going to be in any CC3+ or future installer. If ProFantasy does make them available for the other programs they'll end up as zips most likely.

Some issues/bugs exist with the symbols in other programs. I did a conversion of all the new "default" CC3+ ones and worked on "fix files" for the older CC3 ones when CC3+ came out that were given to Ralf of ProFantasy.

Ok now some stuff on symbol scale and on making your own and I'll wrap this up.

One thing I do want to mention is that the symbol scale size for certain mapping styles isn't the same. So a castle png in one style may be a different scale size compared to one in another. However do be aware that certain default symbol scales exist when it comes to making more symbols.

If you search the this thread on the ProFantasy forum and use the word Mi-Go in your search you'll see some map symbols I made. A few Mi-Go for the Lovecraft fans and a tank.

The symbols were made much larger than they need to be as it easy better to have to scale the image down in a image editor than to have the image be too small and if it had to be scaled up in an image editor it wouldn't look good.

Always make new map symbols larger initially and scale down as you go.

Not that they have no drop shadows. The Mi-Go could with some obvious re-scaling be used in Dundjinni or Dugeonographer Pro, but I would have to add in a drop shadow to the png. So determine if you need drop shadows or not and if you plan to use a symbol in multiple programs you may need a non-drop shadow and a drop shadow versions in the right size.

CC3 & CC3+ also uses different resolutions versions of the same symbol (multiple pngs) unlike other programs (they only use just 1 png.) so be aware of this.

Trim away excess free space from around the png and optimize it. I didn't do that for those symbol pngs in that as I wanted people to have the raw image pngs to work with, but you will want to and have to do this.

The default image pixel size is also different in other programs in a few cases too.

Anyway hope all that stuff helps and just post on the ProFantasy forums if you need help or have any questions.

Varsuuk
December 2nd, 2016, 14:33
Wow! Thanks!

I guess, if I can find my key (forget if it was key-based) I will install FRI just so can patch it to CC3 to see what happens. If it works, I will then keep the CC3 installment I guess along with + so can use FRI if I like it still like I used to :)

The rest, well Sat night is a good time to start serious sit down with vids :)

JulioIP
December 4th, 2016, 03:15
I started with Joe Sweeney videos, they are very good. also the tome of ultimate mapping is very good.

I would suggest that once you follow a few tutorials and sort of get the feel of how CC3+ works focus on sheets and layers, Joe sweeney has a very good tutorial series on them. good luck! this is a great suite of programs.

one more thing, Xorn has a good video on how to make battle maps another must watch :)

alot of the videos are for cc3 but you can still learn alot from them.

Julio

Royalwolf
December 11th, 2016, 18:01
I personally like using the "Schley" style in overland maps. pretty easy to create something that looks good

only had the program for a couple months, and in the last few weeks I have been able to create this:

Trenloe
December 11th, 2016, 18:04
only had the program for a couple months, and in the last few weeks I have been able to create this:
Very, very nice. Yep, Campaign Cartographer (and all the various styles) is well worth taking the time to get to know. And even after a few hours learning, you can then generate some amazing maps without any artistic ability (at least that's me). :)

Varsuuk
December 11th, 2016, 19:01
I personally like using the "Schley" style in overland maps. pretty easy to create something that looks good

That looks really good and gives me hope! :) I'm going to start studying this on Wed, my first of 3 weeks off.

Btw, I see you got your Dark Lord freak on ;)

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2016, 19:04
Yes, that is very nice. I've never been able to do an overland map that looks anything other than a bunch of stuff plopped down on a green square. Hence the reason I only ever do Dungeon maps :)

Royalwolf
December 11th, 2016, 19:25
now city maps on the other hand.... I am completely clueless on even where to begin.... every time I start it just turns out like garbage after 30 minutes and I start over.... lol

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2016, 04:00
Yes, that is very nice. I've never been able to do an overland map that looks anything other than a bunch of stuff plopped down on a green square. Hence the reason I only ever do Dungeon maps :)
There's actually a really good post recently on the PF forums, that I commented on there, about how to make a good background that looks all nice and varied. Here it is; https://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6602

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2016, 11:41
There's actually a really good post recently on the PF forums, that I commented on there, about how to make a good background that looks all nice and varied. Here it is; https://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6602

Thanks for the link. That is useful for any kind of map and it's kind of what I do anyway. There are so many variables with this kind of thing that you need to be aware of to make it look right - the biggest of which is the texture scale which can be a pain to work out what looks good depending on the textures you are using.

Nylanfs
December 12th, 2016, 14:11
There's also the Tome of Ultimate Mapping that I found useful when starting to use CC.

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp

There's also two other books on mapping that I found to be extremely interesting.

How to Lie with Maps (https://smile.amazon.com/How-Lie-Maps-Mark-Monmonier/dp/0226534219) & Mapping it Out (https://smile.amazon.com/Mapping-Out-Expository-Cartography-Humanities/dp/0226534170/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8)

Royalwolf
December 12th, 2016, 17:31
Thanks for the link. That is useful for any kind of map and it's kind of what I do anyway. There are so many variables with this kind of thing that you need to be aware of to make it look right - the biggest of which is the texture scale which can be a pain to work out what looks good depending on the textures you are using.

yeah the texture scales is something I kinda figgered out on my own, but hadn't applied to something as simple as that kind of map

Royalwolf
December 12th, 2016, 17:33
btw this guy did a heck of a job on a city map

https://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6698&page=1#Item_0

lots of good stuff on that profantasy website

Jay_NOLA
December 13th, 2016, 21:17
For city you can find on the Cartographer's Guild a free PDF that looks at City design which is useful.

The biggest thing with a city map design is that you need to plan it out roughly before you start making it.

The Tome of Ultimate mapping is useful as it has a good tutorial and some other free software like RPG City Map Generator can help. They also have a PDF tutorial on using City Designer on the tutorial page of the ProFantasy website.

The FR Atlas is a good place to look for maps and so is the ProFantasy Map Library for premade cities. So you can check out the map files.

Your big thing to keep in mind is to have a rough idea of what needs to be in the city and to keep it organized. A few CC3 map makers even color code the buildings to zoom you in right away to certain areas.

Note too that making city map takes lots more time I've found than an overland or small dungeon one.

One other thing is that often you do a bit of post work in a graphics editor on maps to fix things and add stuff that you couldn't do with the map maker program.

Varsuuk
December 17th, 2016, 05:46
I was going through Joe Sweeney's Tutorial, Number 3 I think, it's the one where he adds the extra room to the right of the first map where the skeleton altar was.

It was to show how to make an irregularly shaped room. Then he told us to put 2 breaks in it then showed how to make an arc shaped wall to then "move" it to close he top break in the room attaching at both sides. The same was done with the break near the bottom but with a more freehand curve.

what I noticed it that while the two object's wall did get connected together (using move-connect button/option) it was not exact or even close to it without filling in the angles as it were.

This is hard to explain. I'll post a picture of it to show when I am back at my PC if no one who has done this Tutorial remembers.

I am not concerned about it per se, this is just a lesson pic but a i fear that after coming to end of that dungeon series, no mention was made that there is a way to do it but perhaps out of scope for this lesson...

So, is it something CC3 (following with CC3+ was too hard with very different ui when he clicked on buttons) handles or something that must be done in post production?

seycyrus
December 17th, 2016, 17:11
@Varsuuk A picture will help tremendously.

Have you tried posting these question on the profantasy forums? There user base is extremely friendly and helpful, just like the folks around here. There are many people who frequent both communities. The advantage over there would be that you are more likely to find someone who just recently progressed past the newbie stage themselves and therefore are more likely to have done the tutorials recently.

Jay_NOLA
December 17th, 2016, 20:36
I'll have to re-watch the video but those tutorials. When I did them I didn't have that problem. If you run into tutorial trouble try and post on the ProFantasy forums. Most of us on it have done those tutorials and you can get an expert answer from someone in a short time period.

One of the Tome of Ultimate mapping tutorials had a similar sort of problem you are describing if I recall correctly. A few of the tutorials in it have some errors.

Varsuuk
December 18th, 2016, 06:34
I will definitely post on those forums (will be my first time doing anything directly there - in past googling for a map has lead me there to get downloads like ToEE ;) )

For the record, to complete what was describing - see attached. But I will "take it to Mulhulland" ;) and ask there also.

Varsuuk
December 18th, 2016, 06:36
I will definitely post on those forums (will be my first time doing anything directly there - in past googling for a map has lead me there to get downloads like ToEE ;) )

For the record, to complete what was describing - see attached. But I will "take it to Mulhulland" ;) and ask there also.

FYI, I am not so much asking for HOW to clean it up - but if there is an "in CC3" way of doing so once I know what I am doing ;) vs having to post-massage it in another graphics app.

seycyrus
December 18th, 2016, 22:40
Ahh, the old walls at the corners problem. Yes, there is a way to fix it in CC3. IN fact, I think there is a one line command you enter, and then just *click and click*. I forget the command tho.

Varsuuk
December 19th, 2016, 00:16
Awesome ;) Thanks. i wasn't concerned with fixing this as all I am doing is following tutorials so I am happy to learn just what the tutorial is teaching and leav rest to ultimate mapping, the manuals and other get tutorials. but was wondering about it ;)

Royalwolf
December 19th, 2016, 15:25
trace command perhaps?

Jay_NOLA
December 20th, 2016, 18:45
If you got the Tome of Ultimate Mapping they cover the wall problem in it. This is usually something you fix.

In the Tome if you look at the Cleanuo section on pages 218-220 you can see how the same problem is cleaned up.

If you don't have the Tome I can try and do a quick summary, but I'm fairly certian that it has been covered in good detail on the ProFantasy forums too in the past.

Your doing his 2nd Battle Tiles Tutorial. The 1st Battle Tile ones are for The Free 2010 Annual Issue. I mentioned this one before that has 2 zips of videos to download along with the free annual.

Quick note the CSUAC is gotten from a different site now and it is a little different.

Varsuuk
December 20th, 2016, 19:17
Thanks Jay,

I have the tome, but figured to go over the video series first. I just wanted to know if was something you fix in CC hopefully vs a separate tool. Glad to hear that is so.

Is there a good way to see all the CC tutorials from him, like in a playlist order? I subbed to him but they are all mixed up all over and I have to search for next and manually click. don't mind, just don't want to miss things. i'm a noob on youtube as well :)

Lastly, yeah... I found some discrepancies like not seeing the purple rock in bitmap/tiles/cusac ... i was in bitmaps/cusac/xxx or something. Also, didn't see the "by resolution" versions of files in CC setup. but I need to check. I followed links to get there. will look for pro fantasy forums to verify I got "lates" version.

Jay_NOLA
December 20th, 2016, 20:45
Yeah, the CSUAC that you can download now is not the same one. The old ProFantasy version can't be downloaded anymore. When the old CSUAC site vanished the files couldn't be redistributed due to the EULA that the site had. The only version that could be were the Fractal Mapper and Dundjinni version as the places hosting them were authorized mirrors that emerged years latter. Years latter when the The Vintyri Project was able to host the fold Fractal Mapper 8 version. They modified the Fractal Mapper 8 version to make the version you can download of it now for CC3/CC3+.

The old CSUAC site also had some other stuff you could download too.

I have on a disk I burned the old CSUAC version and that is the one I still use with CC3, but a lot of people are now just using the newer one.

One of the CC3+ Annuals used the newer version in it.

One big problem is that you'll get big red Xs on maps if you used a different version of the CSUAC was used to make a map.

For Joe's videos go to

https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88/videos

It ought to display the videos from newest to oldest. Keep scrolling down and you'll see a button marked load more. When you push it it will display more videos. Scroll down again and keep doing this till all of his videos are shown from newest to oldest.

The first CC3 video he did was the Overland Mapping series that was about 8 years ago. (The 1st CC3 one is the 2nd oldest video he has on YouTube. He only has about 3 that are non CC3 videos as I recall. ) A few of the videos as I mentioned before were done for Annuals and several of those Annuals are free and also have separate zips of better resolution offline version you can download as I mentioned before.

The only ones I'd watch out of order are the Setting Up Your Mapping Environment ones as those covered instillation, optimizing your work area, map storage folders, etc. Then i would go to the old Overland ones and work up to the newest.