PDA

View Full Version : 5E Wizards Theme with Dragon Heads Removed (for limited display space situations)

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 27th, 2016, 20:27
So, I have a 15" laptop and I'm frustrated by how much room is used to display the 5E dragon heads on ALL of the windows. I came up with a very amateurish modification. For this to work properly, you need to also have the 5E Theme - Wizards enabled.

List of all the UI tweaks included:

1. It will remove the dragon heads from just about every window, except the Character Sheet... that is a bit out of my programming ability at this time.
2. Desktop background is solid, not the splotchy Wizards version.
3. The hotkey section is a darker gray, which makes reading the text a little easier.
4. The Chatbox is slightly revised to remove the pointy bits at the top and bottom (makes it easier to fit the combat tracker above it without any overlapping)

* UPDATED with an actual extension - 2016/11/27 (thanks LordEntrails!).

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 27th, 2016, 20:31
Here is an image showing the correct setup in the Load Campaign window...

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 20:43
Very nice. I didn't use the Wizards theme for that exact reason. Screen real estate is more important than branding. Nicely done! :D

Taken.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 27th, 2016, 20:46
Yeah, I wasn't able to get at the Character Sheet just yet... I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. Also, because I just basically re-skinned the existing 5e theme, you will find that it thinks the blank space above the windows (where the dragon head should be) is still part of the window. I decided I could live with this, rather than re-positioning literally everything...

LordEntrails
November 28th, 2016, 01:08
The reason your .zip/.ext is probably not working is you either need to or can't (I don't remember which) include the extension folder itself. Try zipping it again, either with or without the folder and see if that works.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 28th, 2016, 02:17
The reason your .zip/.ext is probably not working is you either need to or can't (I don't remember which) include the extension folder itself. Try zipping it again, either with or without the folder and see if that works.

That was exactly it, I knew I was doing something wrong. I've updated my original post with the now functioning .ext file.

TMO
November 28th, 2016, 05:53
First, kudos to you for taking the effort to address this issue in a creative manner rather than merely register a complaint. I have a 14" laptop so the problem is even more noticeable for me. However, even when I play with multiple monitors (which is my normal rig when I am playing at home), I find the dragon heads to still be a nuisance due to the difficulty in realizing that the transparent area to the right is still a part of the window on top.

Second, in case you are not aware, there is a site you can go to post suggestions or upvote existing ones (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/). Personally, if some kind of window/task manager feature (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40864) were implemented, then I don't think the dragon head would be a problem for me.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 28th, 2016, 11:38
First, kudos to you for taking the effort to address this issue in a creative manner rather than merely register a complaint. I have a 14" laptop so the problem is even more noticeable for me. However, even when I play with multiple monitors (which is my normal rig when I am playing at home), I find the dragon heads to still be a nuisance due to the difficulty in realizing that the transparent area to the right is still a part of the window on top.

Second, in case you are not aware, there is a site you can go to post suggestions or upvote existing ones (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/). Personally, if some kind of window/task manager feature (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40864) were implemented, then I don't think the dragon head would be a problem for me.

I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I'm amazed that there aren't more UI complaints. I had been toying with the idea of putting together a greatly simplified theme (not as stripped down as Roll20, but leaning in that direction), just rebuilding the Core / leather theme to remove much of the frills. I've already started it, but i have to say it's daunting. That is a project that will take some time. In the meantime, I was able to at least get rid of those damned dragon heads... It honestly started to feel like Nascar, I mean, I get it, I'm playing D&D, stop hitting me on the head with the brand!

LordEntrails
November 28th, 2016, 22:23
I just don't load the Wizards Theme. All I get are the little shields which I'm fine with.

JohnD
November 28th, 2016, 23:33
I just don't load the Wizards Theme. All I get are the little shields which I'm fine with.

Plus, much easier on the eyes without the blinding white.

TMO
November 29th, 2016, 05:18
Plus, much easier on the eyes without the blinding white.

Funny, other than the intrusive dragon heads, I actually like the theme and the contrast it provides.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 29th, 2016, 05:50
Funny, other than the intrusive dragon heads, I actually like the theme and the contrast it provides.

That was my thinking as well... a few minor gripes, but as long as I could get rid of the dragon heads I can live with it.

rob2e
December 1st, 2016, 13:50
Very nice. I didn't use the Wizards theme for that exact reason. Screen real estate is more important than branding. Nicely done! :D

Taken.

Ditto. Very nice work.

ll00ll00ll00ll
December 18th, 2016, 01:27
As promised above, I made a simplified interface theme... below is the link.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/200892/Fantasy-Grounds-PRO-5E-Theme

HuseyinCinar
February 13th, 2019, 21:44
If I'm downloading the .ext in the first post, do I enable both this extension AND the Wizard theme, or just this extension?

ll00ll00ll00ll
February 13th, 2019, 21:47
If I'm downloading the .ext in the first post, do I enable both this extension AND the Wizard theme, or just this extension?

You use both... this is a weird instance where you want both active... normally you just want to have one theme enabled at a time. (this is... if it still actually works, I made this a long time ago, and I know there have been several software upgrades since then)

*Update: i checked, it seems to work... enjoy!

mdrichey
March 11th, 2019, 22:28
As promised above, I made a simplified interface theme... below is the link.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/200892/Fantasy-Grounds-PRO-5E-Theme

Link is broken, perhaps DMs Guild took it down? Can the theme be uploaded directly here?

ll00ll00ll00ll
March 11th, 2019, 22:33
Link is broken, perhaps DMs Guild took it down? Can the theme be uploaded directly here?

It's the very first post in this thread... the link you have referenced above is for the original simple-gray theme that is now included with the Fantasy Grounds install.

^^^ keep in mind, you need to run the 5E Wizards theme as well as the theme Disable Dragon Heads theme, as far as I know this is the only "theme" that works this way. Normally you would only have one theme on at a time.

mdrichey
March 11th, 2019, 22:41
Got it, thanks.

wanderingHP
March 22nd, 2020, 05:43
Can this get working with FGU?
When I run it, the titles are gone, and the annoying dragon remains hah.

ll00ll00ll00ll
March 22nd, 2020, 15:42
I see your request... however I have no idea how to operate within FGU and fix this for you. If anyone else reading this is able, please feel free with my full permission to fix this, and in fact you are welcome to call it your own.

Allmight
November 15th, 2020, 11:25
The fix for unity is quite easy. Just change the load order for the extension.

All i did was to add

<loadorder>99</loadorder>

in the <properties> section of extension.xml.

So it would look something like this...

<properties>
<name>5e Theme - Disable Dragon Heads</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<loadorder>99</loadorder>
<author>ll00ll00ll00ll</author>
<description>Removes the Dragon Heads from most all of the windows but the Character Sheet</description>
</properties>

This worked for me.

I'll attach my updated version here.