PDA

View Full Version : Categories and modules

Callum
November 27th, 2016, 20:06
In moving to 3.2, we've lost the old categories system using tabs with coloured icons, and we've gained the improved, searchable categories system using text labels. Now, if I activate my "Sandpoint" module in a campaign, all the data records from that module appear in a "Sandpoint" category, which makes sense. But what would happen if I created some categories within my Sandpoint campaign (say, "Traps", "Haunts" and "Monsters"), assigned data records to those categories, and then exported the campaign into a module - when I opened this module in another campaign, what categories would those data records appear under?

What if I subsequently created those same categories ("Traps", "Haunts" and "Monsters") within my "Skinsaw Murders" campaign, assigned data records to those categories, exported that campaign into a module, and then opened that module in the same campaign as I already had the "Sandpoint" module open in?

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2016, 20:13
The Categories and items in those categories would be exported and when you open them they'll still be there.

In your second example you would have two categories for each I think. Clearly it would be better to give things unique names Sandpoint Traps, Skinshaw Murder Monsters - just in case there's confusion.

Callum
November 27th, 2016, 20:27
The Categories and items in those categories would be exported and when you open them they'll still be there.

So they're only assigned to the module-name category if they don't already have their own category within the module? Okay!

In your second example you would have two categories for each I think. Clearly it would be better to give things unique names Sandpoint Traps, Skinshaw Murder Monsters - just in case there's confusion.

Perhaps, but it might also be good to have all my Traps appearing in the same category...

Talyn
November 27th, 2016, 21:16
Perhaps, but it might also be good to have all my Traps appearing in the same category...

I'll agree with Zacchaeus, I tend to put everything in its own unique category. Because, ideally you're not having every module you own loaded just to have 20 bazillion traps or whatever available. There's a reason for all the "why am I out of RAM?" forum threads after all...

Callum
November 28th, 2016, 10:29
In your second example you would have two categories for each I think.

Are you saying I'd end up with two categories with identical names (eg "Traps")?

Callum
November 28th, 2016, 10:32
Because, ideally you're not having every module you own loaded just to have 20 bazillion traps or whatever available.

Agreed - I only ever have a few modules open at the same time. But I would like the categories from some modules to merge when they're open at the same time (which is what used to happen with the old categories system - you could specify which modules you wanted to merge categories).

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2016, 11:28
Are you saying I'd end up with two categories with identical names (eg "Traps")?

Yes. Hence the suggestion to give the category a unique name.

Nickademus
November 28th, 2016, 15:38
Yes. Hence the suggestion to give the category a unique name.

You misunderstand. He wants one category with a generic name, that both modules dump into.

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2016, 16:42
You misunderstand. He wants one category with a generic name, that both modules dump into.

Then use the merge function if that still works. I've never used that so I can't really advise on how it works. The best way to find out would be to experiment.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2016, 16:58
You can create two (or more) modules with the same group name and the data will be merged into one group when they're opened.

They'll still appear as separate lists in the library window, but in the campaign data window the entries will be merged into their relevant categories.

At least that's how it works in the CoreRPG test I've just done using items.

Callum
November 28th, 2016, 23:05
Great! Thanks for your help, everyone.