PDA

View Full Version : Nord Games - Creaking in the Dark and Greenskin Diplomacy

Gwydion
November 27th, 2016, 14:24
Morning, everyone. So, I've taken advantage of the big sales this weekend to pick up a number of things. Tome of Beasts, Creaking in the Dark (Nord Games), Greenskin Diplomacy (Nord Games) and Legendary Beginnings: The Bandit's Cave (Legendary Games).

Given my wife has been down with the flu, I've been playing some d&d with my 10 and 8 yr old girls. We started with Creaking in the Dark. I love the idea of having a difficulty level. They have a beginning, intermediate and advanced. They even have separate encounters built for each. None of them are dropped onto the maps as it is dependent on which level you pick. My girls really liked this adventure. It is geared (in my mind) to younger audiences. Spoiler Alert!!! Don't read further if you don't want any info about the module. The setup is a boy who appears to have been bitten and stumbles out of an old cellar and falls unconscious. As the party investigates they face giant rats and some nasty spiders. Not much diversity in the monsters, but for my girls it worked just fine. Probably about a 3 hour crawl overall. I would have no problem recommending this for a short, side-track adventure for a younger group. Also, if you go to the product page on nord games and find the pdf, you can click on links to download the map in jpg form and you can download pdf's of several pregens if you want them. Of course, you'd have to convert into fantasy grounds.

Greenskin Diplomacy. I'm just starting this with my girls but a couple early observations. The initial setup is a very large battle in town. I was confused as there is not a map and the module doesn't really explain that. I used Zacchaeus Brynn-Shander map from SKT and it worked really well for me. The one map that does come with the module for a location you end up investigating is a DM version with room numbers in it. I went to the website and downloaded the free map and pregens and those maps have numbers too. Not a huge issue but I feel like for anyone selling on fg should have a player map without numbers. I'm sure I could figure out a way to take the numbers out in GIMP if I wanted, but given I'm just running my girls through it I probably won't.

Having a blast playing with them. It was awesome that my 8 yr old decided on her own not to approach the location through the front door with swords flying, but she asked me (without prodding) if they could try and sneak around the back and find another way in, which they are in the process of doing now. (Keeping this description generic to avoid spoilers).

I have no problem recommending Creaking in the Dark. I'll post more info On Greenskin Diplomacy when I finish it. Hope to run them through Bandit's Cave some other weekend. Just wanted to give some feedback in case others are still looking to take advantage of the prices this weekend. I still might need to jump in to buy more! Sale is too good!

Nylanfs
November 28th, 2016, 14:13
Another company's products I'd suggest for younger players is this one.

https://www.playgroundadventures.net/

Gwydion
November 28th, 2016, 14:15
Another company's products I'd suggest for younger players is this one.

https://www.playgroundadventures.net/

Awesome! Will definitely check that out. Thanks, Nylanfs!