PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E Primeval Thule: 1 Player Required

Teknykk
November 27th, 2016, 13:46
FG License: Full License, Players Need Full or Lite.
Game System: D&D 5E Primeval Thule.

Time Zone: Australian Eastern Standard/Daylight Time, UTC+10/+11.
Day of Week and Time: Monday at 7:00 PM/8:00 PM to 11:00 PM/12:00 AM, 4 Hour Sessions.
Planned Start Date: December 5th at the Earliest.
Planned Frequency: One Night per Week.
Term: Long Term or Until Campaign is Complete.

Text or Voice: Text and Voice Required.
Voice Software Used: FG TeamSpeak Server.

Role-Play & Combat Mix: 50/50 Mix at Least is Expected.
Number of Players in Needed: No Players Required Now.
Character Starting Level & Equipment: 1st-Level with Starting Wealth.
Character Restrictions: Core Rules and Setting Guides per Standard or Approval.

Details: I'm about to take my first dive into the Primeval Thule setting with the D&D 5E system. I'm currently looking for one more player to round out the party to a total of four and going in deep with that and no more. I'm the kind of GM who runs things as they lay, so I don't fudge and certainly don't pull punches in any other way. I'm also the kind of GM who expects complete trust in me and my ability to be fair with players, and not as one who's out to get them even if it looks like it every so often. My goal is simply to provide a challenging experience, so if you're looking for easy mode Adventurer's League style, then this is probably not for you.

If you're a player who feels the need to question or pick at every little thing that happens like it's some grave injustice, then I would suggest you don't apply and this also goes for those who see it as their position to tell me how I should be running an NPC or how other players should play a PC for that matter. I have very few rules at my table, and most of them are simply common sense or decency rules but the one rule I do have is that if something happens in character then it stays in character, and it should not be taken into an out of character debate or argument that leads to targeting other players or the GM in a confronting way.

Primeval Thule is a harsh setting in a time somewhat like the Stone Age and Bronze Age thrown together, so there are many Ancient Era and Classical Era elements within it. This is not a setting for the faint of heart, characters can and quite possibly will die if resources aren't managed and proper risk assessment isn't made. In addition to that, I use my own few House Rules and a handful of optional or variant rules from the books. Some of these will make things more gritty or realistic, those of note being Healer's Kit Dependency, Slow Natural Healing, and Gritty Realism for healing and resting.

It is a world where the Neutral and Evil people thrive more than those of Good, and they are corrupt, depraved, or mad. Everyone is doing what they do to survive and the key to that is to amass wealth or power, both of which often go hand in hand. Characters work together for a common goal in a job they are given or find, they follow rumours and wild stories, all for the hope of the next big pay day or something powerful to change their position in society. It runs like episodes in a television series, and they often start in the midst of a storm of bad to make you wonder how you ended up there.

The kind of player I'm looking for is one who can stick with it for the long term and enjoy the challenge of a harsh world with a GM who loves to test your ability to think, plan and ultimately overcome the deadly challenges thrown at you. You will get plenty of loot and experience, the latter of which also comes from getting the former. Fighting isn't always the solution to an encounter, and experience would be awarded even if you flee, assuming enough risk is taken. This is not a high magic setting, it is low magic, it has madness and mind bending weirdness, and it is barbaric.

If you want to see what it's like when Conan the Barbarian meets the Call of Cthulhu, and you can agree with the above, then drop a post here. I would prefer people closer to home, so anyone in Australia, New Zealand or an area of similar proximity, will be considered first, but all applicants are welcome to let me know. The party would ideally need a player interested in a Rogue, basically something that can handle the burden of tricks and traps, though a person taking another role at this stage may not impact things much. The setting has many restrictions and as my first dive into the setting, I will be keeping most of them in play, so your options for races are limited, and some classes may suffer scrutiny.

The times mentioned above are in relation to east coast Australia, 7 PM to 11 PM would be what Queensland runs at during Daylight Savings, which is my start time, while the 8 PM to 12 AM would be what New South Wales and Victoria run at during Daylight Savings, the start time of my other three players. Now once Daylight Savings turns off again, it'll run at 8 PM to 12 AM in all of those states as normally expected. If you have any other questions then feel free to drop them in with your initial response here and I'll deal with them the best I can. I will only be taking one more dedicated individual, so if you want to dive into this as much as I do then let me know as soon as possible.

Teknykk
November 29th, 2016, 01:48
I've updated the post reflect party roles and what would be ideal from the last player. The party currently consists of what is likely to be a Cleric, Ranger and Wizard combo, so someone who'd like to fill a Rogue role would be ideal, but it may not impact things too much if the group is creative with trap avoidance or triggering. Though in a world like Thule, only the Rogues can get Thieves' Tools now unless it comes from a unique feature, so you'd be in a very unique and useful position, along with a Cleric with healing, a Ranger with survival, and a Wizard with lore.

Normally I wouldn't match up players and roles, but would be the most ideal position for players to have unique roles in the party so everyone can shine, pull their weight, and understand the importance of each other. The party as it stands will cover a solid mix of spells, skills and also fill three of the four main roles in a group, so a Rogue would especially fill the last gap in the party so you have the best chance at survival and progress. That said, lacking one probably won't hurt too much, if you're all clever with your approach to adventuring, so I'm most certainly not going to force you to take up that class.

In any case, we are still looking for this final player, so if anyone is interested then please let me know as soon as possible.

Rogue
November 29th, 2016, 05:57
Hmmm, I need to know the hour for GMT -5. Tried to figure it out, but brain is not working. It would basically be EST USA time.

Teknykk
November 29th, 2016, 06:03
It'd be something like 4 AM EST until 8 AM EST, if converting from Sydney/Melbourne time or Brisbane time when it isn't Daylight Savings. You can see the conversion below, with Sydney compared to New York, which I imagine is the correct zone for you.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20161205T20&p1=240&p2=179

In other words, quite early and often why I tend to avoid folks too far away as they tend to come in half asleep.

Rogue
November 29th, 2016, 06:08
Oh, heck yeah, I'm usually up that early anyway. I was two hours off in my estimation, not accounting for 11 and 12 o clock.
But I would definitely be interested, I have nothing to do until like 11 Monday morning anyhow.

Rogue
November 29th, 2016, 06:29
If someone from your time zone, or closer to it anyway, comes along, I will gladly let them have it. I jut found in my email a letter that states I MAY have a job starting at 8 AM Monday thru Friday. That would mean I would not be able to play. .

Teknykk
November 29th, 2016, 06:29
No worries, I've sent some details to your private messages, and we can go from there if you are still able and willing.

Rogue
November 29th, 2016, 06:37
All right, jut got off from there and replied. The most the job would do is cause me to have to bow out an hour early to drive to the job.

Teknykk
November 29th, 2016, 06:40
That probably wouldn't be the most ideal thing, so we may need to confirm if it's going to cut into the time before we decide to fully get you on board. I'm not overly fond of running other characters in the background, and an hour is a pretty solid amount of time in one session. So if you can get a solid confirmation on it for me, let me know please, as I'd rather not get someone in who has to cut a quarter of a session out.

Rogue
November 29th, 2016, 06:47
Well, good news is, according to my employer, I would not be required to drive it but only once a week, on Fridays. So that clears my Monday situation up. I will be based out of a regional office, which is 15 min from here, and hours are pretty much left for me to set.

Teknykk
November 29th, 2016, 06:51
Well that solves that problem then, good to know. I'll jump in TeamSpeak in a moment and we can go from there.

Jimbo
November 30th, 2016, 01:01
I'm eastern time as well but I'm totally up for a game at that time. I know someone is up in front of me but I'd love to play if the slot opens up.

Teknykk
November 30th, 2016, 01:59
At this stage I'll only be running with four, as it suits my interests the most. If a spot does open up at some stage then I will post here for people to reply to, if they're still interested.

Teknykk
January 10th, 2017, 01:39
A spot has recently opened up due to unforeseen circumstances with Rogue that were not within her control, so she has withdrawn from the game after only a few sessions for everyone's sake.

At this stage, I will be on the lookout for Oceanic players, so if there's any Australians, New Zealanders, or other people close by that are interested, then please feel free to let me know as soon as possible - as the next session is Monday, January 16th - and I'd like to get a player sorted and ready before then.

Squeekit
January 10th, 2017, 05:44
I'm in EST which means y'all starting at 8pm is starting at 3pm my time which is just fine for me. What sort of character do you need?

Teknykk
January 10th, 2017, 06:52
If you're in EST in the USA, then it'd be around 4 AM - which is why I said I won't be taking any American folks, as there just keeps on ending up being various issues and complications due to the time differences. At this stage I'm only interested in people closer to home, within the Oceanic region roughly. That said, for anyone else viewing, the character who would be an ideal asset at this stage is a Rogue.

SteeleTrueheart
January 13th, 2017, 13:04
This sounds really interesting. PM incoming. I am in Canberra.

Teknykk
January 17th, 2017, 00:47
Currently full on members again, having filled two slots - I will update this post if this changes in future.