PDA

View Full Version : In search of

bnickelsen
November 27th, 2016, 04:49
I am looking for a map of a large castle in at least 3 different version of the same layout, in ruins, in repair and in good shape. Anyone have a suggestion where to look?

dulux-oz
November 27th, 2016, 04:52
Google?

And no, I'm not trying to be funny. I'd have a look at the castles of England - they often have maps on their websites which might be suitable. A lot of English Castlers arew tourost attractions these days, so I'd start there (and other countries castels as well).

Cheers

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 05:00
I wish I could offer an exclusive FG reference, but the only sure thing I know of is Gabriel Pickard's stuff over at the Roll20 Marketplace. I'm not sure how FG handles their map packs, but Roll20 lets you download the high-res .jpegs so you can alter them and make them your own.

Gabriel Pickard.

bnickelsen
November 27th, 2016, 14:02
Google?

And no, I'm not trying to be funny. I'd have a look at the castles of England - they often have maps on their websites which might be suitable. A lot of English Castlers arew tourost attractions these days, so I'd start there (and other countries castels as well).

Cheers

I went to google first but that was too much info, was looking to narrow it down a bit.
To clarify I am looking for ready made maps or tiles to uses in Fantasy Grounds. I have a player in a 5E campaign that as part of a back ground has an inherited item. I asked her to pick what kind of item it was, she said a Castle. Ha. So I changed it to a Deed to a castle and she will need to go find her castle and deal with what ever she finds. Not digging real deep here but I am going to load it with NPC's and the place will be in massive disrepair. The player and her companions can leave it or claim it and start the process of rebuilding it. I also hope to hide a few secrets with in the castle and the only way to discover those secret is through the process of restoring it. Thus I would like some way of presenting this castle in those stages from first visit through fully restored. It sounds doable if only I had a shred of art talent.

bnickelsen
November 27th, 2016, 14:03
I wish I could offer an exclusive FG reference, but the only sure thing I know of is Gabriel Pickard's stuff over at the Roll20 Marketplace. I'm not sure how FG handles their map packs, but Roll20 lets you download the high-res .jpegs so you can alter them and make them your own.

Gabriel Pickard.

I will take a look over there.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2016, 16:42
Try Heroic Maps: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5371/Heroic-Maps/subcategory/10143_20256/Castles

JohnD
November 27th, 2016, 17:04
Try Heroic Maps: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5371/Heroic-Maps/subcategory/10143_20256/Castles

Man there's some great stuff there Trenloe!

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2016, 17:04
I don't remember if it was on Cartographer's Guild or Profantasy's forum, but I have seen someone posted a map of a castle both as a ruin and as the built up place. I think, if I remember correctly, it was done as a tutorial and is of a historic place too. Sorry I can't give you a link. But I'll look for it some more and see if I can find anything. You can also ask on those two forums.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:12
Try these... Hassle-Free Castles: Ruined Keep (https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/1237/hassle-free-castles-ruined-keep), Gabriel Pickard's complete collection (https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keywords=&sortby=newest&type=all&genre=all&author=Gabriel%20Pickard).

Check out the amount of assets you get for the price.

Ready to play and modular tiles and tokens. Why this stuff isn't on FG is beyond me.

No offense, but the art in the FG store simply doesn't come close for the quality, the price or the versatility.

JohnD
November 27th, 2016, 17:18
Try these... Hassle-Free Castles: Ruined Keep (https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/1237/hassle-free-castles-ruined-keep), Gabriel Pickard's complete collection (https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keywords=&sortby=newest&type=all&genre=all&author=Gabriel%20Pickard).

Check out the amount of assets you get for the price.

Ready to play and modular tiles and tokens. Why this stuff isn't on FG is beyond me.

No offense, but the art in the FG store simply doesn't come close for the quality, the price or the versatility.

Wow that is a massive amount of content.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:21
For example, a map pack ON SALE in the FG store is $20.99 and you get 56 assets that you NEED Fantasy Grounds in order to use.

On Roll20, just in the Hassle Free Castle set, you get 68 items for $4.99 and you can download the high-res files directly to your machine to do whatever you want with in any game system or VTT.

How are you going to compete with that?

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:24
Wow that is a massive amount of content.

Look at the prices. And... you can download the assets directly. High-res .jpegs and .pngs WITH transparency.

By the by, that's just from 1 artist.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2016, 17:26

I'm sure its because Mr. Pickard hasn't approached SmiteWorks about putting it on the FG store. It's also probably because I assume he's a Roll20 user.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:35
I'm sure its because Mr. Pickard hasn't approached SmiteWorks about putting it on the FG store. It's also probably because I assume he's a Roll20 user.

I actually put Mr. Pickard and Mr. Davison in touch about a year ago. I guess nothing came of it. I'm not going to speculate as to why.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:37
For me, I can't buy art from FG if I can't use it outside of Fantasy Grounds. I also can't buy it from FG, if there's more content for less money some place else, without all the restrictions. Pure consumer feedback.

I can buy great art from Roll20, download the high-res files, edit it, upload to FG and still use FG.

IF the option to do something similar was available from SW, I would consider it, so long as the price was comparable for the quality and quantity.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 17:43
I will take a look over there.

Find anything you like?

goodmanje
December 4th, 2016, 06:30
I've bought things from the Roll20 store as well. I have a huge forest map that came with both day and night versions as well as images of trees, rocks, wagons, stumps, etc... its beautiful!! Got some amazing deck plans for space ships and huge space stations from rpgnow.com.. All can of course be imported into FG or used for whatever you like. I'd like to see FG offer more generic resources like that in their store.