PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate NPCs Skullduggery PF Problem

Bidmaron
November 27th, 2016, 01:47
OK, I just bought this module during sale, and it all loads great, but I cannot get it to make an encounter. I am sure I will feel stupid when someone tells me what I am doing wrong. What I tried:

I opened the module.
I went down to Generic NPCs and selected Brigands.
If I roll to chat it works.
If I roll to 'Parcel' it does exactly that and places the rolled NPCs into the items section.
If I roll to 'Story' the summary goes to a story entry.

I cannot get it to drag to an encounter. I drag a link from either chat, parcel, or story, and nothing shows up in the encounter.
I have tried adding a blank encounter record and dragging to it. I have tried dragging to the encounter list. Nothing works.
I am using 3.2.1 and PF ruleset.

Bidmaron
November 28th, 2016, 23:12
Bump. I believe this is a bug with the product, although it is possible I'm screwing something up.

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2016, 23:42
Sorry, I don't have this product or play PF so I'm not sure what you are trying to do. However you create encounters by dragging NPSs from the NPC list (big button on the right) into an open encounter. If there are no NPCs when you open that window (the big NPC button) drag an NPC from the library list into it and then drag into the encounter.

Bidmaron
November 29th, 2016, 04:34
Zacchaeus you are supposed to be able to roll up random encounters with this module. I can roll them up but I cannot get them to the encounters list for use.

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2016, 10:41
Zacchaeus you are supposed to be able to roll up random encounters with this module. I can roll them up but I cannot get them to the encounters list for use.

Ok, I'll find out who the author of the module is and see if there is a problem.

ddavison
November 29th, 2016, 14:59
I believe these tables roll random NPCs that you can use for an encounter. We don't have random encounters set up that grab random NPCs and compile them into an encounter, so you will need to roll to chat or story and then drag over from there to an encounter.

lokiare
November 29th, 2016, 14:59
Unfortunately this module was made before the random encounter functionality. Instead you must manually open the NPC list and drag and drop the NPCs directly to a newly created encounter. To make this easier you can type the NPC name into the bottom of the NPC window to narrow down the list. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Bidmaron
November 29th, 2016, 20:22
I cannot get the drag from chat window to encounter to work either. It does nothing but I will try it again tonight and report what happens step-by-step

Is the date issue the reason why you can generate a random encounter to a treasure parcel?

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2016, 22:22
I cannot get the drag from chat window to encounter to work either. It does nothing but I will try it again tonight and report what happens step-by-step

Is the date issue the reason why you can generate a random encounter to a treasure parcel?

You can't generate a random encounter to a treasure parcel, either now or ever. Treasure parcels are for items, magical or mundane. NPCs (which I think is what you are talking about) go into encounters.

What ddavison and Lokiare1 are saying is that when you roll on whatever table you are rolling on all it is telling you is that the encounter consists of x NPCs. What you have to do then is find that NPC in the NPC list and drag one into a new blank encounter and then type in the number that you rolled on the random encounter.

There is no connection between what you are rolling and an actual encounter. You have to do that manually.

The ability to actually generate a random encounter came in with 3.2 which was some time after this module was developed.

Bidmaron
November 30th, 2016, 01:44
What I am saying is that when you select what to do when you roll an encounter, one of the choices is "parcel". If you select that and generate a random encounter, the creatures appear in the items portion of a new treasure parcel

Zacchaeus
November 30th, 2016, 10:40
What I am saying is that when you select what to do when you roll an encounter, one of the choices is "parcel". If you select that and generate a random encounter, the creatures appear in the items portion of a new treasure parcel

Yes, I appreciate that you can make a roll on a random table to a parcel. However what you are doing here is simply rolling a random number you are not rolling up actual NPCs or indeed an encounter.

Trenloe
November 30th, 2016, 16:22
@Bidmaron what Zacchaeus is trying to get across is that there is no functionality within FG tables to create "Encounter" records - you can output to "Chat", "Story" and "Parcel". Parcel is a treasure parcel, not an encounter/NPC parcel. This is just a functionality of the table features - you select from the three output options and FG doesn't check what it is outputting, it could be treasure, NPCs, images, whatever record is in the original table. That's standard functionality.

As also mentioned, when this module was created there was no functionality at all for creating random encounters directly into a FG "Encounter" record - you have to build them yourself based off the information sent to wherever you decide to send the table output. No drag/drop of table results - you need to them go to the NPC section and drag/drop the relevant NPCs to a new encounter record. The table has generated the random number of NPCs, you have to build that in FG - either adding the required NPC records to the combat tracker for an immediate encounter, or building up a FG "Encounter" record.

Bidmaron
November 30th, 2016, 17:29
Trenlo, et al
I know all of that. I just wanted this thread to show the story in case some other purchaser wondered the same things.
Originally, I believed that the random encounter rolling the 3.2 video showed had been implemented (it really should have caveated that it only worked from 5e library materials at that moment in time) for products sold thru the web site.
So the one thing I learned out of this is that most material does not have that capability yet. I thought maybe I had screwed something up in my upgrade that was causing this not to work.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2016, 21:52
Fair enough. I'll look at implementing a filter for the table parcel output, so that only "item" classes will be included in "parcel" output. And, maybe even look at a table "encounter" output, but that depends on time.

The random encounter functionality is actually a completely different functionality, that allows you to have build an encounter with a random number of each creature. It's much more limited. The button for this capability can be found at the top of the campaign Encounters window, and is labeled "Random".

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
December 1st, 2016, 03:20
MW, you and all the other superstars here are just awesome. We are blessed to have such great and dedicated folks behind FG. I know your time is precious though and you will get to it (if and) when you can.