PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips or Advice on Running a Text-Only Game?

jajen2003
November 26th, 2016, 14:01
Hi there,

As the subject states, I'm looking for tips and/or advice on running a text-only game. I've always wanted to DM or play in one and since there are no campaigns that match my schedule, I wanted to run my own.

Before I just jumped in willy-nilly, I wanted to tap into our talented and experienced community to see what sage advice other DMs and players could offer.

Thanks.

Jake (DM)

Andraax
November 26th, 2016, 14:17
My biggest hint is to put all your stuff into modules (one per adventure / chapter), and open those in your campaign (close them when you're done with them). This keeps your campaign uncluttered...

LindseyFan
November 26th, 2016, 18:09
I am really interested in hearing the responses to this too.

LordEntrails
November 26th, 2016, 19:48
I've never done text based in FG, but I used to do play-by-post a lot. One thing to do is to make sure you use the chat /vote command as needed to make sure all players are getting a say. Also encourage OOC (out of character) comments to be flagged as such. Decide if actions need to be typed, or if a character can simple just do an attack on a bad guy using the CT and automated functionality. You also may want to have a standard abbreviation when someone wants the others to pause for a moment while they type up an answer or a long response etc.

If you are creating your own content, also be sure to read through the attachment to this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Zacchaeus
November 26th, 2016, 21:16
I'm unqualified to give any kind of opinion because it's not something I've ever done so I have no yardstick to go by. Some discussion on the matter here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33959-Text-based-game-surge).

damned
November 27th, 2016, 00:27
Set the expectation up front.
Text based games are slower.
Id keep the sessions shorter too. 3hrs max.
Dont sweat on Typos.
Explain to the players how you want them to use the three Chat mode entries.
You might also do some more mundane stuff between sessions via email so as not to slow the game down further during your sessions.

Skellan
November 27th, 2016, 01:43
I have only played in a text game once but I found it surprisingly enjoyable. What you sacrifice in speed I think you get back in immersion. I found it useful to have some common phrases hot-keyed

GunnarGreybeard
November 27th, 2016, 06:00
Unless you are a speed typer, make sure you put as much information into FG as you can before each session. You will also find its a lot more work to make things up on the fly when the players go off script, and they will. You should build out a few random encounters that fit the game story so you can throw them in to fill any holes when things hit a snag and you need to keep everyone focused and the game moving forward. If you can, use pre-built modules or build your own, as that means less data entry further down the road in your later session prep work. Try to avoid lengthy 'whisper' conversations with any one player, the others might think you fell asleep, stepped away from the table without telling them, etc and will become quickly bored. There is probably a lot more, that's just off the top of my head.

Also it's already been mentioned but I would reinforce this, make sure all potential players know in advance its text only, even if its clearly stated in the calendar/game thread. You will be surprised how many people will go all the way to through PC creation and into the 1st session and then say they didn't know.

SirGraystone
November 27th, 2016, 17:24
I have been running two pre-made campaign in text, Storm King's Thunder since September and Curse of Strahd that i started last night. A few thing come to mind:

- If you do homebrew adventure try to prepare description like the pre-made have it will save you time later, but dont make them too long, i often cut in 2 or 3 parts the description from pre-made so players don't skip block of text who are too big.

- About long whispers, i have players make a note to share information with me and just point them to the note if i added something to it. That also help to remember the name of npc contact and their location for example a few weeks later.

- Make a list of days (and nights) and roll randoms encouters in advance : day 1 nothing / day 2 5 bandits / day 3 nothing / ... so you dont have waste time looking up table.

I'm sure i'll take of more later

LindseyFan
November 27th, 2016, 17:30
I have been running two pre-made campaign in text, Storm King's Thunder since September and Curse of Strahd that i started last night. A few thing come to mind:

- If you do homebrew adventure try to prepare description like the pre-made have it will save you time later, but dont make them too long, i often cut in 2 or 3 parts the description from pre-made so players don't skip block of text who are too big.

- About long whispers, i have players make a note to share information with me and just point them to the note if i added something to it. That also help to remember the name of npc contact and their location for example a few weeks later.

- Make a list of days (and nights) and roll randoms encouters in advance : day 1 nothing / day 2 5 bandits / day 3 nothing / ... so you dont have waste time looking up table.

I'm sure i'll take of more later

And I must say you do a good job of it! :)

The breaking up of blocks also adds a lot of tension too, IMO as a player.

drakonin
November 30th, 2016, 21:40
I have been running text only campaigns 1-2 times a week for about a year now.

What you lose in social interactions is made up in immersion, done right it is like reading a good comic book.

-Make sure everyone knows about the social slash commands like /em and /ooc. I like to joking use everything not in /ooc as cannon.

-Set expectations on typos, in the moment they will happen and as long as everyone knows what was meant no need to correct it/point it out.

-Every time you use an emote save it under a note label for that weapon or creature type for future use. Basic example of a sword critical hit : "/em sword strikes hard between your neck and shoulder almost instantly you feel warm blood running down your arm." copy paste the quote under a note labeled sword attack, next time you have an NPC with a sword pop that one open and you will eventually have a large list to choose from.

-All that text you will miss things, use any down time/breaks to ask the party if you missed any questions/issues.

-Encourage descriptions of what they are doing no matter what it is, even missed attacks. If they need help give them a cheat sheet something like: What part of what are you attacking? What are you feet doing? How are you swinging the weapon? What is your face doing? Does anything stink? What is the terrain like? They don't need to answer all those questions but turning "I want to hit it with my sword" into "I plant my feet in the dry mud and swing with all my might in a downward slash at the goblins stupid face." Make everyone invested, and it gives you ideas for NPC reactions.

-In larger battles to keep things rolling you may want to have everyone on their turn roll, end turn, and then type their descriptions. This works best when DM has more creatures on the board then players.

-Conversations are the hardest to keep rolling, if multiple questions pop up just answer them in order. Helps to establish their demeanor at the start or what they sound like so you don't have to say "blah blah blah he says with a raspy voice" every time. If it changes then you can use /story mode to explain and establish the new/different demeanor/sounds.

Hope this helps! I will post more if I can think of anything else.

SirGraystone
December 1st, 2016, 23:26
Maps, combat in the theater of the mind seem harder for the players in chat, so get some basic maps, an inn, a road, a bridge, a camp fire in the forest, a beach, some caves. In a pinch i just draw something on paper, takes a picture with my phone and transfer it to my computer.

drakonin
December 6th, 2016, 21:40
Maps, combat in the theater of the mind seem harder for the players in chat, so get some basic maps, an inn, a road, a bridge, a camp fire in the forest, a beach, some caves. In a pinch i just draw something on paper, takes a picture with my phone and transfer it to my computer.

Oh, you all mean 100% text, I was thinking no VOIP. While my above advice is solid there is no way I would be able to run a campaign without maps and tokens.

damned
December 6th, 2016, 21:56
Ive run game sessions with little or no images/maps.
It is different. Definitely make sure you ask specific people what they are doing - dont let anyone fade into the background.

LindseyFan
December 6th, 2016, 22:37
I use to run/play games that were 100% text chat all the time. With VTTs, however, so much is automated that was a chore or hard to explain before. I don't think VTTs take anything away from the experience of "text only". They only add to the experience while not tearing you away from the fantasy world.

JohnD
December 6th, 2016, 22:47
Prepare as much as you can ahead of time and cut/paste or have it entered into FG.

I ran campaigns text only for ~ 12 years using Neverwinter Nights and NWN2. The immersion is great. But, as a DM, frankly I was exhausted after a 2 hour game. I could type around 50 wpm when I was doing this, but for 2+ hours straight, thinking on your feet to stay one step ahead of the players, and having 3 requests for a response stacked up beyond the one you're currently just started... well, for me it got to be way more than I could handle and still actually enjoy myself.