PDA

View Full Version : Request for Moderator to Clean Up One-Shot Game subthread

jajen2003
November 26th, 2016, 13:43
Hi there,

There seems to be a lot of out dated posts here, given the nature of the topic.

I was curious if there is a moderator who can come in and clear out old and expired games? Keep this thread fresh for games that are upcoming, not threads for events that have already passed.

Thanks.

Jake

damned
November 27th, 2016, 00:44
I think the nature of a Forum is that posts are permanent...
With the One Shots pretty much most posts older than a week or two are irrelevant but they might be useful for other purposes.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 01:58
I think the nature of a Forum is that posts are permanent...
With the One Shots pretty much most posts older than a week or two are irrelevant but they might be useful for other purposes.

I guess I'll just stick with using the game calendar then.

One-shots by definition are finite.

P.S. - I could see added functionality if the OP could update the Thread Title to reflect a change to a time or date. But otherwise, seems kind'a like an inefficient effort for the desired effect.

damned
November 27th, 2016, 02:18
I think for the most part you are right.
The One Shots were give a separate forum because they quickly got lost onto the second/third/etc pages in the LFG forum.
They still have value - say you are looking to run something for Shadow of the Demon Lord or Monster of the Week - games less often played - you might find others who have expressed an interest here in earlier games etc.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 03:44
I see your logic and raise you practicality.

I understand the posthumous value of a deprecated thread, but it still doesn't address the issue of people needing reasonable access to current, active, one-shot events. Complicating the process for the sake of... a dated expressed interest, seems again, counterproductive to the purpose of the thread. Isn't that what the regular LFG is for.

I'm just saying, something more effective would be nice. I was trying to offer a solution within a reasonable means that wouldn't deter from the amazing work the Dev team is doing.

jajen2003
November 27th, 2016, 03:52
Moderators have access to edit Thread Titles.

99% of users don't, I'm assuming (Yep, I cannot edit the Title of this very thread that I created).

Simply change the One-Shot Thread permissions, so that whoever created the thread can edit the title.

Put a sticky on that forum, something akin to an office refrigerator note: This forum subthread gets cleared out at the end of each month. Please make sure to update your threads or they will be deleted.

Seems super easy, not obtrusive and increases the efficiency of the threads original intention.

LindseyFan
November 28th, 2016, 20:31
In a whisper: (These old posts help them in the ancient arts of Google-fu and SEO)

jajen2003
December 3rd, 2016, 12:41
In a whisper: (These old posts help them in the ancient arts of Google-fu and SEO)

SHOUTING: Then it makes the forum almost, pointless if we can't use it effectively.

damned
December 3rd, 2016, 15:24
98% of the posts in the main LFG are also no longer representative of the current state of affairs. Players have found games, campaigns have run and ended, or any of many other permutations. This probably feels more so in the One Shot forum because by their nature they expire quicker. Dont lose any sleep over it - spend that energy on dreaming up new plots to ensnare your characters in! :)