PDA

View Full Version : I will be running a small, home cooked module

Yost
September 28th, 2005, 18:51
On Sunday nights, starting around 9pm Central time. It's a low level adventure, designed to help me get used to the FG software and running a campaign in this genre.

I have one friend who will most likely join the group, so I am looking for three others.

:D

Yost
September 28th, 2005, 20:57
A little more information.

We'll use the standard d20 rules (some minor revision). Greyhawk setting.

LeapOfFaith82
October 3rd, 2005, 06:17
Im interested as is my pal. Please give more info such as timezone and such. Oh my bad didnt see it. Id like to know what chars are being played and such.

Serpent
October 3rd, 2005, 06:21
Im looking to play this if its still in the works, see my sig ;)

Yost
October 3rd, 2005, 19:08
We haven't started yet, but with you with two sign ups here we can start next week if you are agreable.

Game will start around 8pm on Sunday the 9th. Characters are at your discretion....but balance will be important.

LeapOfFaith82
October 3rd, 2005, 21:26
Sounds good to me. Is this a low magic campaign? Im not looking to play anything like eberron where there is "high tech" from magic. I was hoping for more of a game where peasants dont see monsters on a daily basis kind of like R.A. Salvatores "The Demon Awakens". Also Id like to know what everyone else is playing so I dont make something someone already is.

Thanks for the reply. :D

Yost
October 3rd, 2005, 22:01
I run low magic games. All the magic and treasure you acquire will be EARNED.

So I think we'll be in agreement there.

I'm not a big stickler on food and water, unless the group is in obvious conditions that require you to find them. Equipment is another matter entirely.

Adventuring groups are few and far between...and in many cases on particularly well thought of. Locals often claim they do as much harm as good, stirring up the humanoids etc....so don't expect to greeted with open arms.

No decisions have been made yet as to character types/races played, so feel free to start the process. We'll roll them up this Sunday...4d6 method with a minor twist...you'll assign the attributes as you roll them.

I've been DMing Neverwinter Nights games for several years now..so I'm very comfortable with the chat based RP...I will need some patience from my players regarding some of the rules in D20.

I like to see good character backgrounds...set them in Greyhawk please..but they can be from anywhere.

Don't hesitate to ask questions :D

Serpent
October 4th, 2005, 00:19
Count me in on this one "Yo" ;)

I'll send you a pm with pc and email info if thats needed.

LeapOfFaith82
October 4th, 2005, 04:32
Cool. I dont have alot of stuff on greyhawk only the stuff ive made. Does anyone have a good website for Greyhawk info?

I plan on playing a monster hunter/dragon slayer type character. CG alignment, Fighter/Ranger Human. Please PM me the server alias so I can log in Sunday. The sooner I can find some good Greyhawk info ill make my character's backround. Also what level will be starting at?

Yost
October 4th, 2005, 15:14
We will start right at the bottom...level 1.

Map of Greyhawk..https://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/gaming/dnd/greyhawk/map/supermap.html

List of dieties: https://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/greyhawk/gods/

LeapOfFaith82
October 4th, 2005, 20:15
Ok cool. Found my old Greyhawk map but I have no info on the areas. Starting my player backround today. Also do we get max money for our 1st level class? Just wanted to know so I can have my inventory done for you to look over Sunday (plus im also bored heheh).

Oh and one more question will this be an on going campaign for atleast a few months for a short trip adventure? Im looking for more of a campaign not a quickie 4 week adventure.

Prince Bertram
October 4th, 2005, 20:55
Greetings to Serpent and LeapOfFaith82 - we've met elsewhere :) - from Prince Bertram.

So counting myself, LeapOfFaith82 and Serpent that's at least 3 of us.

I'm in the same situation as LeapOfFaith82 as concerns Greyhawk - I probably have a map but I'm not sure I have any other information on the Greyhawk setting, but I'll check out the links.

I have no particular preference as to character class or race so I would be happy to fill in where needed depending what's finally selected by Serpent and LeapOfFatih82.

Yost
October 4th, 2005, 21:09
I beleive starting gold is 300 gp....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll start your adventure in the city of Verbobonc....look just north of the Kron Hills and east of the Lortmil mountains...west of Greyhawk City.

As to the length of this thing...I would love to do an ongoing campaign, provided we get dedicated players etc..

A bit of background info: You've each found yourself in Verbobonc for various reasons. Looking for jobs, you've answered an advertisment found in a few of the local taverns. A cartogropher named Rhamar Kragstepper is offering work for a band of adventurers. His note and map placed in the Inn tells nothing of the nature of the job.

Yost
October 4th, 2005, 21:12
One more thing, concerning alignment. While I won't preclude evil characters from the group, my preference is for the party to be good or neutral based. I prefer a group that generally acts in the best interests of the party.

A well played and well thought out evil character might be allowed...but it would have to be a very good character concept that allows for party cooperation.

LeapOfFaith82
October 4th, 2005, 21:43
I beleive starting gold is 300 gp....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds good to me, Im use to starting with only 160 gold in some campaigns. Is my Fighter/Ranger character ok (CG Alignment, Human)? I just dont want to duplicate any other players.

And as I've said to my other GMs its also the characters responsibility to inspire the GM to run the campaign longer then s/he planned by making up a good backround story, and having goals and dreams for the characters the PC plays. So I'm up for a long campaign and I belive as is Serpent. We preferr campaigns to run for several months instead of working hard on a character and having tons idea's for it and then suddenly everyone loses interest in the game and leaves. So I will definitly be in it for the long haul.

Oh and please PM me the alias so I can log into the server Sunday.

Thanks a ton.

LeapOfFaith82
October 4th, 2005, 21:55
One more thing, concerning alignment. While I won't preclude evil characters from the group, my preference is for the party to be good or neutral based. I prefer a group that generally acts in the best interests of the party.

A well played and well thought out evil character might be allowed...but it would have to be a very good character concept that allows for party cooperation.

Well I've been against evil aligned parties since many players RP them in a tasteless way and just end up RPing vulgur things such as rape and all. Ive always been in D&D to be a hero. Someone people look up to when you enter a town. Although some people can RP a evil character that I can stand, I preferr if someone is playing an evil char I suggest they keep it secret, and there evil deeds. Mainly because my character would treat them as any other criminal he met in a dark alley. Especially since my character is going to be alot like a freelance Bounty Hunter or as he calls it "Professional Justice Distributor For Hire" and Monster/Dragon Slayer (you'll see his reasons for this in his backround hehe).

But this is my opinion. Though I agree with you in the not excluding of evil chars there are just certain things I wont GM for a character/PC and expect decency and consideration for all players if they choose to do so.

Yost
October 5th, 2005, 03:13
I way over did the starting gold...way over! That's what I get for playing D&D on a computer game...please contact me for starting gold..as it's dependent on class....Sorry if you've already done this.

LeapOfFaith82
October 5th, 2005, 20:02
Fixed. Also my backround story is almost done.

LeapOfFaith82
October 6th, 2005, 03:02
Bertram could you post what your going to make when you figure it out? Serpent is going to play a fighter, im going rogue/ranger/fighter. Just give us a heads up when you get a chance :)

LeapOfFaith82
October 6th, 2005, 04:49
By the way are actually going to play Sunday and how long are we going to play for? To me the longer the better but I'd like each session to be atleast 4 hours.

Yost
October 6th, 2005, 05:11
LOF,

Sunday's game will start at 9pm CDT and last for roughly two hours, maybe a little longer...after that, I'd like to start at 8pm and got for 3 or so...

As a family guy, I can't do much more than that..

LeapOfFaith82
October 6th, 2005, 07:05
LOF,

Sunday's game will start at 9pm CDT and last for roughly two hours, maybe a little longer...after that, I'd like to start at 8pm and got for 3 or so...

As a family guy, I can't do much more than that..

Thats actually a little dissapointing, I do hope we will be able to get alot done in the alotted time (meaning little fooling around and actually progressing the story). However I do understand R/L and family comes first so no biggie. Ive heard of people getting this thing called "a life", but im to busy playing video games and such to have one. :D :P

Prince Bertram
October 8th, 2005, 00:29
Well, if no one objects I'd like to go for a half-elf wizard. I'll work up a backstory on Saturday just as soon as I finish reading up a little more on the Greyhawk setting. :) Oh, and I see that Wizard characters start with 3d4 x 10 GP - had a devil of a time finding that in the PHB :x - but finally found it on Page 111.

Looking forward to your game on Sunday...

-Prince Bertram

Serpent
October 8th, 2005, 01:26
Well at least SOMEONES A spellcaster, but remember and dont take this the wrong way,

You'll always be the first to die. (https://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=4&ttitle=Always_The_First_To_Die)

p.s some lyrics may not be suitable for children.

Yost
October 8th, 2005, 01:53
I'll PM each of you with the neccessary connection info tomorrow...looking forward to Sunday.. :D

Serpent
October 8th, 2005, 04:11
*gets out his d6's*

LeapOfFaith82
October 8th, 2005, 05:10
I'll PM each of you with the neccessary connection info tomorrow...looking forward to Sunday.. :D

*screams like a woman with anticipation*.... ehem I mean. Yea I can't wait either.

LeapOfFaith82
October 9th, 2005, 18:45
Umm since the game is tonight ill need the login info and all. So please let me know ASAP.

Yost
October 9th, 2005, 20:30
Connection info supplied...see everyone tonight! :D

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 02:53
Join when ready

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:02
Not working. Is you firewall down?

Prince Bertram
October 10th, 2005, 03:03
Same problem for me. "Could not connect to host. Check the address and try again."

-Prince Bertram

Serpent
October 10th, 2005, 03:04
cant connect here either

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:05
Firewall is down. What kind of error did it give you?

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:05
Yeah not working for anyone. Cannot connect check host adress.

Serpent
October 10th, 2005, 03:06
"could not connect to host. check the address and try again."

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:07
Still not working. Did anyone ever connect before?

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:07
Well hmmm...my ISP was supposed to make sure the neccessary port was open...try this IP address..I doubt it works...10.65.2.2

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:08
I tried to get volunteers to test this week, but no one could match up with my schedule...

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:09
Keeps acting like its going to load then i get the error.

Serpent
October 10th, 2005, 03:10
try turning the password off.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:10
Well i doubt its anything on our side. 3/3 people cant connect. Turn off the firewall then restart FG.

Prince Bertram
October 10th, 2005, 03:12
Are you connected to the Internet through a router (say a wireless router) and are ports 1802 and 1803 open on the router? What firewall are you using at the desktop? The built-in Windows one or a third-party security suite - Norton, McAffee, or Trend Micro, etc? Those ports need to be open.

Prince Bertram

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:13
If you have a windows firewall you need to turn that off aswell as installed ones.

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:15
The only firewall I have is the Windows one, and it's off. However, I am behind a big router that my ISP uses. He promised he'd open the proper port when he set up my static IP address, but it's possible he hasn't.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:19
Ok well Betram how do you open those ports. On both windows and norton, i have the same problem.

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:21
Windows will give you a prompt, asking if you want to allow the port to be used...

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:21
Ok well still not connecting and im getting errors still.

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:22
Okay...it's up with no password. I doubt that will do it though. I almost 100 percent certain it's my ISP.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:23
Still not connecting.

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:24
Sorry gentleman. I had hoped to test things this week before the game, but got no volunteers when I posted here for a test.

If you will bear with me, I'll get ahold of my ISP this week and see what's up.

My humble apologies.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:26
so no game this week?

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 03:31
I don't see anyway we can have one tonight. I will reschedule for next week...I am off all week, so I can get this thing squared away with my ISP...and get things tested to boot!

I hope everyone can return next Sunday.

Prince Bertram
October 10th, 2005, 03:32
I don't have Norton, but I've opened ports in McAffee and Trend Micro PC-cillan.

In Windows, go to the Control Panel, Windows Firewall (Switch to Classic View if you need to find it).

Click on the Exceptions tab and then Add Port... Give the first one a name - I use FG1 and assign Port Number 1802 - leave it set as TCP.

Add Port again, call it FG2 and make it 1803. That's all there is to it. Unless your behind your router's firewall or an ISP firewall. Then the problem may have to addressed there too.

-Prince Bertram[/i]

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:36
Even if your behind an ISP or router it will still connect if you use the alias as long as your firewall accepts the ports.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:40
Is it a HTTP port?

Ilordas
October 10th, 2005, 05:12
hi srry about coming into the post so late, but new to fg., just found out...still haven't bought the program yet...

was wondering if another char slot is available. i a little new to the dnd games with all these revisions.

but sunday is great and im pacific time, u can contact me at msnrocker2000

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 21:50
Might be one more slot open but we cant even connect to the game and not sure when we will ask Yost.

Yost
October 10th, 2005, 23:01
I've been on the phone twice with my isp today. They are working on it. I think I've got a full house right now. SOF, Bertram, Serpent, my friend and one other...stay tuned though please.

Serpent
October 11th, 2005, 00:59
I'll be out of town for two weeks, would like you to hold my place until the 30th if you could. If not then I suppose you could welcome someone else.

Yost
October 11th, 2005, 03:42
I'll hold your spot Serpent..