PDA

View Full Version : Tokens & Game Speed in General

RobboNJ69
November 26th, 2016, 04:25
Looking at ways to increase the load time of my game. (I'm not having any issues, I just don't want any...) A couple questions came up:

1. How may MB of tokens are you all loading in a active game? I've seen tons of posts saying "don't load too many" but no reference to what is too many... 3mb? 15mb? 45?
For convenience, I'd like to load a decent amount, but without slowing things down. And I realize it all depends on the connection speed of the players. So what's an average? Right now, I'm under 3mb for 150 tokens, but I'd like to add more.

2. Do the tokens in the "Host" folder slow the players side of the game? Or only the "Shared" folder? I've seen conflicting information on this.

3. Same question as #1 on Images/Maps. What is a common range in total loaded file size?

4. Mods; Do .Mods that are not activated, slow the connection? Does the game only load (slow down from) modules that are open or for all of them in the "Modules" folder - open or not?

Thanks for the input!

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2016, 05:19
I can provide what I have as a data point, and I haven't seen any particular performance issues.

1) I have ~1800 tokens at ~60MB in my tokens directory.

2) The tokens/host files are only sent when used, while the tokens/shared are sent/checked on every connection by a player. Once downloaded the first time, a checksum is used to verify whether the token files have changed. Minimizing shared tokens improves player connection time, by reducing the number of checks/downloads that need to be performed.

3) One of my campaigns (probably the biggest) has ~140 files at ~62MB.

4) No, only modules that are allowed by the GM and actually loaded by the player affect the connection at all. Once downloaded the first time, a checksum is used to verify whether the module files have changed. (The biggest caveat is that most 5E modules marked as GM-only by default are actually too large to share with players.)

Regards,
JPG

damned
November 26th, 2016, 05:24
1. 100 tokens. If you want more put them in token modules
2. I believe only shared ones appear but also if you share a NPC that will share the token and possibly (but Ive never taken the time to check) once you add a monster to the CT the token may appear in the players Tokens directory...
3. Keep maps to under 1mb mabe 2mb for really important maps and try for under 2000x2000px. For fluff images go way smaller. The number of maps/images doesnt matter so much.
4. For the GM just open what you are actually using. If you are playing Curse of Strahd you dont need Lost Mines of Phandelver open - you dont even need the Monster Manual. If you have bought official D&D core books dont open the SRD ones. If you havent bought them open either the SRD or the Basic Rules - not both. Only share to the players the books they should have - eg Players Handbook or Players SRD, plus Swordcoast Adventurers Guide if applicable or other similar Players Guides.

I hope that helps.

RobboNJ69
November 26th, 2016, 05:50
Thanks for the quick reply Moon Wizard! Those are great reference points.

RobboNJ69
November 26th, 2016, 05:51
Thanks Damned! I appreciate the insight and advice.