PDA

View Full Version : Another obvious thing I probably too blind to spot

Varsuuk
November 26th, 2016, 02:54
(remember sleep deprivation this time of year pre-code-freeze at my firm)

Was looking at sample characters in War of the Dead. I notice several have "Guts" skill. I recall reading in some book that Guts was taken out and is only present in some Settings. For example, DLR has a close skill "Grit."

So, is this skill in one of the 3 WoD "books" in our modules and I just don't see it?
Or, is it in Deluxe Ruleset and same...

IF it isn't and it depends on you already being aware of it from an earlier edition - what short of looking for someone with an earlier book/PDF can I do to get the lowdown on the skill use and it's attribute (spirit?) etc?

(I did search this forum but nothing for WoD)

Mortar
November 26th, 2016, 03:20
It should be in the Deadlands setting rules, which you can find in the DLR GM guide. It will likely be found in th WoD setting rules as well.

Varsuuk
November 26th, 2016, 04:32
I know Grit is explained in DLR, but I could not find a reference to GUTS in WoD.

Wondering if anyone with WoD knows where to find this? I do not see it in the "Skill List"
(Also, though not my question - it isn't in the Skill List for DLR, which I believe is correct from what I recall)

Hope all is well! Would love to try out WW:Rome or DLR oneshot with ya some time, sorta "makeup game" from the Con ;)

Skellan
November 26th, 2016, 08:54
guts is in the sw deluxe players guide but only appears as a design note under skills. I use spirit in everything bar Deadlands now.

Varsuuk
November 26th, 2016, 09:49
the odd thing is that yes it is in the Deluxe book but it is just mentioned and how you can replace with Spirit in most settings except those horror ones requiring it.

WoD seems horror enough and but it's rules do not reference it. DLR does mention it because grit adds to guts rolls. But guts is not listed in skills for any of these nor is there an explanation on what to use it FOR in DLR.

Googling found it mentioned in explorer addition and subsequent addendum by publisher:

https://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Reloaded/DeadlandsDeluxe-ified.pdf

Skellan
November 26th, 2016, 10:23
Guts is used against fear checks. Its up to you if you want to use guts in WOTD. I use spirit in WOTD. I only use guts in DLR as fear is a big part of the setting mechanic.

Guts is just a setting rule that you can use if you want. All guts really does is make player spend advances to allow themselves to get better at resisting fear

Mask_of_winter
November 26th, 2016, 12:22
WotD was written before Savage Worlds Deluxe edition where Guts was still part of the core rules. Therefor, it wasn't included by the author. And we, as developers didn't make changes to the IP. Does that make sense? You can add the Guts skill by right-clicking in the skills field and typing it in.

Varsuuk
December 2nd, 2016, 14:22
WotD was written before Savage Worlds Deluxe edition where Guts was still part of the core rules. Therefor, it wasn't included by the author. And we, as developers didn't make changes to the IP. Does that make sense? You can add the Guts skill by right-clicking in the skills field and typing it in.

Thank & it does make sense. Updating the docs would only make sense if the underlying product was also updated by the author(s).

i have been trying to google/wiki these things to get that timeline that will ultimately help me figure this stuff out :) The explorer link gave me what needed as far as "written rules" so I get it all (if by "all" you mean Guts ONLY) now.