PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy grounds& steam

Asterionaisien
November 25th, 2016, 17:49
Hello, I'm considering about buying a license, but..

1) If I buy the license on steam and activate the steam key, may I use FG even if I later uninstall steam?Or steam presence on pc is necessary?

2)If I buy a module on steam, it works as I said before?

3)If I buy a standard license, but I want to host a game for demo players, may I just pay,monthly, the 6$ difference between standard and ultimate subscriptions?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Zacchaeus
November 25th, 2016, 18:42
1) To be honest I don't know what happens if you uninstall Steam. I don't think you'll be able to get FG to run without Steam once you've registered the license with Steam. You may well be able to change that back to a non Steam license however.

2) Yes, if you buy through Steam then the module will run in FG - provided it's launched through Steam.

(If you have a problem with Steam (and I know a lot of people do for whatever reason) then don't buy through Steam buy it from Fantasy Grounds direct)

3) To host a game with players who only have the Demo license you will need to upgrade from the Standard License to the Ultimate License. So on a subscription you will pay $10 per month instead of $4 per month.

Asterionaisien
November 25th, 2016, 18:58
3) To host a game with players who only have the Demo license you will need to upgrade from the Standard License to the Ultimate License. So on a subscription you will pay $10 per month instead of $4 per month.

First of all thanks for your answers!
About point 3, too bad.
It sound strange to me that i can buy a license upgrade for permanent ones but i cant do something similar for subscriptions.

Zacchaeus
November 25th, 2016, 19:24
First of all thanks for your answers!
About point 3, too bad.
It sound strange to me that i can buy a license upgrade for permanent ones but i cant do something similar for subscriptions.

Ah, right, I see what you are getting at now. This from the FAQ

Subscriptions give you the same functionality and all the same content as the one-time purchase licenses, but allow you to pay a low monthly fee instead of buying it outright. The monthly fee doesn't ever accumulate towards paying a one-time fee or allow upgrades at a cheaper rate, so please consider this before continuing a subscription for any extended length of time.

So, yes, consider whether you want to buy a Standard license and then Upgrade or whether to go for an Ultimate subscription from the get go.

Nylanfs
November 25th, 2016, 19:49
1) You can use the key you get through Steam to install from the download from the FG website, note though that your license key is only stored in Steam this way AFAIK. You do not HAVE to have Steam on your PC, although it does show your friends on Steam you are playing in FG.

2) Modules purchased on Steam are ONLY tracked on Steam, Modules purchased on the FG store are ONLY tracked through the FG store. If you do not have Steam installed on your PC you can't get your DLC from the Steam store, AFAIK

3) Zac is right on this one.

damned
November 25th, 2016, 20:49
Yeah the Steam key you have will work with an FG installed client.
You can buy the one time upgrade as well which is going to be cheaper than a sub over time - especially if you get it on Sale.

Talyn
November 26th, 2016, 04:59
In addition, when FG (or you) does an update, if Steam is not running it will "fail" and return to the launcher at the point it tries to check your Steam Store purchases.

Otherwise, FG itself is not a "Steam App" and you don't actually need Steam to run FG, only to check updates, etc. if you purchase there. You can open FG all by itself directly from the .exe (make a shortcut on your desktop if you wish). A lot of us exactly that to run two instances of FG so we can test out GM features on ourselves so we know what we're doing before we get actual players.

Asterionaisien
November 26th, 2016, 09:33
Thanks guys for the answers. I dont have anything against steam, i just dont like the idea of having to use an app to be able to utilize another one.

damned
November 26th, 2016, 11:34
Thanks guys for the answers. I dont have anything against steam, i just dont like the idea of having to use an app to be able to utilize another one.

Buy it on steam but find the actual directory its installed to and run it from there - I dont think you need the Steam Client running when you do it that way. Otherwise, if you dont get any savings from buying it on steam you may as well buy it here and avoid that whole process.

Talyn
November 26th, 2016, 12:00
I bought it on Steam "just because" but once I really got into things, and learned more about the company and the guys who run it, I buy everything directly from the FG Store now. It's a very small company so I'd rather they get all the money I pay for stuff instead of Valve taking their 30% cut. But I'm weird like that. :)

Nylanfs
November 26th, 2016, 15:21
Seeing as they is in Italy they probably are getting regional pricing from Steam.

Basically the only time you would need to run Steam is when there has been announced update. If the update button turns red, exit run steam update FG. Then you can exit Steam.

LindseyFan
November 26th, 2016, 17:59
I bought it on Steam "just because" but once I really got into things, and learned more about the company and the guys who run it, I buy everything directly from the FG Store now. It's a very small company so I'd rather they get all the money I pay for stuff instead of Valve taking their 30% cut. But I'm weird like that. :)

In general, if you are reading this forum, DO buy from this site's store if you can IMO. But (as someone who works in a field where the host takes a big cut) there are some values returned to smiteworks from steam's cut. Every license, that leaves a positive review on steam, will impact them exponentially in future sales. Steam IS the platform for discovering games and apps, and reviews are taken seriously by many buyers.

Soooooo, if you are like me and bought from Steam, the BEST thing you can do to thank these awesome devs is to leave a glowing positive review on Steam. I'm sure whatever Steam took will be more than paid for if your review gets even just one new player.

Mortar
November 26th, 2016, 18:05
I originally bought FG through Steam, and have since bought content through both the FG store here and Steam. I hav never had an issue with FG store bought content NOT being updated.

Either way you end up purchasing the products if you ever have trouble post here in the forums or send the FG support an email and I can guarantee somebody here will help you

kalnaren
November 26th, 2016, 19:03
Buy it on steam but find the actual directory its installed to and run it from there - I dont think you need the Steam Client running when you do it that way.

This is correct. In fact, Steam doesn't even detect the game running this way. This is handy when you want to run multiple instances of FG -since Steam doesn't like that- either on the same computer or on two different computers.

Asterionaisien
November 26th, 2016, 19:46
This is correct. In fact, Steam doesn't even detect the game running this way. This is handy when you want to run multiple instances of FG -since Steam doesn't like that- either on the same computer or on two different computers.

That's pretty handy to know, thank you!

Edit: i bought an ultimate from this site. thank you all for the advice :)