PDA

View Full Version : 4 hours of work gone in a second.

tommenquar
November 25th, 2016, 15:13
So today i was working on my campaign and made quite a bit of headway on it. I decided it was time to go and take a nap so i made sure it was saved (a console pop up saying the database was saved) and closed the app. I got a gut feeling to check it so i reopened the program and all the work i have done is just gone. A wonderful first impression that a 150 dollar program has left on me. What would cause it not to save progress with the ultimate version?

BTW i am quite displeased. that's 4 hours of work i could have used on roll20 with a guarantee my progress would be there.

Trenloe
November 25th, 2016, 15:17
1) Check that the version number in the top right of the main FG launch screen shows v3.2.1 ULTIMATE. If it shows v3.2.1 FREE then your license key isn't entered correctly and that's the reason why your campaign didn't save.

2) Assuming your version does show as v3.2.1 ULTIMATE, some of the info here might help you to check the campaign db.xml database file: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35211-Database-error-(-Help&p=303356&viewfull=1#post303356

Talyn
November 25th, 2016, 15:28
1) Check that the version number in the top right of the main FG launch screen shows v3.2.1 ULTIMATE. If it shows v3.2.1 FREE then your license key isn't entered correctly and that's the reason why your campaign didn't save.

Agreed, check that first. I went for MONTHS not noticing that my Basic license didn't upgrade itself to Ultimate. :)

LordEntrails
November 26th, 2016, 00:09
@tommenquer, frustrating we know. Stick with us just a little bit longer and we'll get you figured out and happy you made the move.

From what I've heard from others who have made the move, once they learn FG, data entry and campaign creation is much faster than Roll20, so you'l gain back those four hours before you know it.

tommenquar
November 26th, 2016, 00:57
tommenquar, frustrating we know. Stick with us just a little bit longer and we'll get you figured out and happy you made the move.

From what I've heard from others who have made the move, once they learn FG, data entry and campaign creation is much faster than Roll20, so you'l gain back those four hours before you know it.

I will agree that it is faster. i love the process but when you work for 4 hours and lose it all. you can see where it will get annoying. im going to check out the link that was provided to me in a post above and see what i can figure out. Thanks guys

tommenquar
November 26th, 2016, 00:58
it does say 3.2.1 Ultimate

tommenquar
November 26th, 2016, 01:11
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/The Wrath of the Righteous/CampaignRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/The Wrath of the Righteous/db.xml) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Notice: Returning to launcher

This is an error that i get. it sais the same thing when it tells me the game is saved.

damned
November 26th, 2016, 01:11
Hi tommenquar please can you do a test for me.
Launch FG into your current or a new campaign.
type /console and press enter in the Chat Window
Make a new story entry.
Type /save into the chat window.
What do you see in the Console?
if you would like me to have a look at it with you send me your email via PM.

tommenquar
November 26th, 2016, 10:25
Hi tommenquar please can you do a test for me.
Launch FG into your current or a new campaign.
type /console and press enter in the Chat Window
Make a new story entry.
Type /save into the chat window.
What do you see in the Console?
if you would like me to have a look at it with you send me your email via PM.

I got it figured out. I had my program data file set to read only. on top of that setting FG to run as admin seems did the trick. Thanks guys for the awesome help.

damned
November 26th, 2016, 11:31
I got it figured out. I had my program data file set to read only. on top of that setting FG to run as admin seems did the trick. Thanks guys for the awesome help.

Hi tommenquar you will have other issues running as admin - things like push to talk with Teamspeak... better to fix your file system permissions - find the Fantasy Grounds folder and give yourself read/write/modify (or full permissions) and you should be ok.

Trenloe
November 26th, 2016, 16:50
Info on file access issues here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options

Varsuuk
November 26th, 2016, 20:31
Did I mention that there are a slew of very active very helpful folks on the FG forums that bend over backwards to make everyone's experience fun and productive?

Cos if I didn't, check out the prior paragraph :)

I'm sorry you had that happen, I've read time to time rights issues cropped up for some. Definitely follow the advice to fix the perms vs run with bandaid - it should be pretty easy to do.